Darynda Jones Fans discussion

TGDA Book Discussion > Day 14 - Week 2 - Questions~ Reyes did what?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana, Founder (new)

Dana Alma (readaholics) | 1174 comments Mod
What did you think of way Reyes treated Charley in the jeep, at Amador's house, and at the motel?

message 2: by Ines (last edited Feb 28, 2012 05:20PM) (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments I'm not sure I have a firm opinion on that. I think Reyes was rough with the knife and with his choice of words, but at the same time he kept hinting that he wanted her to believe he was capable of the worst things, and that it may not be exactly the case. Then he's sooooo sweet with Amador's daughter that you think he can't possible be as evil as the angels think he is. In some scenes I just wanted to scream at Charley: "Stop being so chicken! He won't do anything to you... please react, run, punch him, do something!". Then of course, if I were her I'd probably faint if I saw a gun.

I think Reyes is confused and also has mixed feelings about Charley coming to her powers. He tries to irritate her so they show, he keeps telling her she can do a lot more than she thinks she can but at the same time he makes her feel so powerless around him... Is he afraid of her powers? Or that she will turn against him? Book 4, please!

message 3: by Dana, Founder (new)

Ines wrote: "I'm not sure I have a firm opinion on that. I think Reyes was rough with the gun and with his choice of words, but at the same time he kept hinting that he wanted her to believe he was capable of t..."
Ines, so many questions, so much time until the next book. 8 months!

message 4: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments Dana wrote: "Ines wrote: "I'm not sure I have a firm opinion on that. I think Reyes was rough with the gun and with his choice of words, but at the same time he kept hinting that he wanted her to believe he was..."

Eight months is an eternity!...

message 5: by Dana, Founder (new)

Ines wrote: "Dana wrote: "Ines wrote: "I'm not sure I have a firm opinion on that. I think Reyes was rough with the gun and with his choice of words, but at the same time he kept hinting that he wanted her to b..."

Tell me about it!

message 6: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Dana wrote: "Ines wrote: "Dana wrote: "Ines wrote: "I'm not sure I have a firm opinion on that. I think Reyes was rough with the gun and with his choice of words, but at the same time he kept hinting that he wa..."

Ines, I agree whole heartedly with you...Reyes was pissed at Charlie for binding him, but I do not believe he could ever hurt her unless the fate of the world depended on it. I, too, agree that Reyes is confused about his emotions and attraction for Charlie. He does not understand trust, commitment and faith. These are all necessary for a lasting and loving relationship. As Reyes learns to believe in Charlie and the two of them begin to openly communicate with each other, he will no longer need to fear her and her powers.

Did Reyes have a gun or a knife? I do not recall.

I cannot wait for book 4...I NEED to know what is up with Garrett. I want to learn about Cookie and Ubie...maybe some Marvin Gaye playing in the background of a scene with the two of them. Will Donovan discover his dog is now guarding Charlie? Will Gemma and Ubie knock some sense into Leland or is this going to be an indication of a major change on the horizon? Possibly, Charley too busy fighting nasty demons trying to get into Heaven to even worry about her private eye business? What does Own got to do wit' it? And so on and so on....

Book 4 can't possibly get here soon enough but poor Darynda! Once 4 arrive we will only be demanding book 5. We are greedy b****es!

Traci (Mad Hatter Reads) (traci-madhatterreads) | 609 comments Mod
Mel wrote: "Ines, I agree whole heartedly with you...Reyes was pissed at Charlie for binding him, but I do not believe he could ever hurt her unless the fate of the world depended on it. I, too, agree that Reyes is confused about his emotions and attraction for Charlie. He does not understand trust, commitment and faith...."

I completely agree ladies. I don't think Reyes would ever hurt Charley. Threaten...so he gets his way...yes and we saw that, but not PHYSICALLY hurt her. Unfortunately, we did see that he hurt her emotionally, but as you said Mel if they would openly communicate with each other that wouldn't happen.

Reyes had a knife in the Jeep.

Book 4 can't come out soon enough!

message 8: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments Yes, he holds a knife to Charley inside the jeep to keep her from fleeing (though I really don't understand why she was so afraid of him, he hadn't told her he knew where her family lived and was caught in the back of a garbage truck because of her...). Then he uses again the knife and a gun (taken from Garret) at "Harold Reynolds" (aka Walker) house.

I have to say I laughed at the image of Charley being handcuffed while Reyes took a shower.

And well, I think this much says a lot:

“You’re such an ass.” I would have pushed him away had my hands been free.
He shrugged. “Gotta keep up the illusion. Someday you’re going to figure out exactly what you’re capable of—” He leaned in close. “—then where will I be?”

(Book 3, page 108, chapter 9)

Traci (Mad Hatter Reads) (traci-madhatterreads) | 609 comments Mod
You're right Ines-that quote says so much!

message 10: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments Traci wrote: "You're right Ines-that quote says so much!"

I'm starting to think I like these books so much because they're like a jigsaw puzzle! One hint here, another there.. grabbing everything and trying to make sense of it is so much fun!

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindymac52) I know Charley is a walking add for ADD...but she needs to define what she wants and expects from Reyes *besides killer sex* and stick with it. The boyfriend will soon be free and they have other things to think about. Like knowing whose got your back!

message 12: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Cindy wrote: "I know Charley is a walking add for ADD...but she needs to define what she wants and expects from Reyes *besides killer sex* and stick with it. The boyfriend will soon be free and they have other ..."

We know Reyes has her back but he needs to support and trust her too! They need to COMMUNICATE!!!!

message 13: by Dana, Founder (new)

I have to chime in. To be honest I was spitting mad at Reyes! I knew he wasn't going to do anything to harm her, but you'd think after an eternity of wanting to be with our girl, Charley, he would have a least gotten up close and personal at some point. He could have taken them to some motel and had her get the key so they could have quality time. I get him being mad at her, but she completes him. He could have played it differently, I really wanted him to show the same kindness and sweetness he showed the little girl, to Charley. She deserved better, everything she has done is because she cares about him. I know book 3 was designed to be a yearning for all that we wanted and didn't find and most likely book 4 will leave us begging for more, but I really hope Reyes rocks Charley's world in B4 b/c she deserves some happy moments. I might be sniffed at Reyes, but he's still my top 10 dream dates.

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (thirstyflea) | 223 comments I agree with all of you, and geez, all your questions are exactly what I'm asking myself!

I was frustrated with Reyes when he was with Charley in person. What a scaredy-cat, and an a$$. I think when he's incorporeal, he can be all smooth and sexy and awesome, but when he's in the flesh, he's acting like a "typical" guy- can't communicate, and acting opposite than they really want to! I mean, all of their interactions have been limited, and incorporeal- him saving her, his nightly visits, etc... Maybe he's attracted to her in the same I-can-barely-function-I'm-so-attracted-to-her kind of way too? She's not handling it the best either, though.

And yes, he wants her to discover her powers on her own and that's why he pushes her buttons, but can you all remind me if all of his past life memories have come back to him now? Meaning, is he really is holding out on her, or does he really not know all of what her powers are? There hasn't been anyone like her before, right?

But I think we'll see them both grow in book 4- they'll start to get to know each other, and hopefully learn to start interacting / talking. It's Charley we're talking about here, so it will be a process ;-)

message 15: by Dana, Founder (new)

Stephanie wrote: "I agree with all of you, and geez, all your questions are exactly what I'm asking myself!

I was frustrated with Reyes when he was with Charley in person. What a scaredy-cat, and an a$$. I think w..."

I agree Stephanie!

message 16: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindymac52) As long as Reyes has existed as Satan's son you know he's seen Reaper's come and go...but Charley smiled at him before she came to being and he was hooked. So he knows what powers she will have...maybe that's why he's pushing her buttons. That's the only way for her to get serious and let it out. And TALK to her, love her, and stop being such a dick!

message 17: by Dana, Founder (new)

Cindy wrote: "As long as Reyes has existed as Satan's son you know he's seen Reaper's come and go...but Charley smiled at him before she came to being and he was hooked. So he knows what powers she will have...m..."

Yea, what Cin said!

message 18: by Candie (new)

Candie (candiegyrl) | 350 comments Mod
Cindy wrote: "As long as Reyes has existed as Satan's son you know he's seen Reaper's come and go...but Charley smiled at him before she came to being and he was hooked. So he knows what powers she will have...m..."

Amen Cindy! :-)

message 19: by Candie (new)

Candie (candiegyrl) | 350 comments Mod
I was upset that he was being really rough with her, but I'm sure that there is a reason. Hopefully more will be revealed in book 4! Is it October yet? lol