Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Possibly pseudonym issue

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Velma (new)

Velma (velmalikevelvet) | 61 comments Philip Jose Farmer wrote a book under the pseudonym 'Kilgore Trout': Venus on the Half-Shell. There is an author page for this alias: Kilgore Trout. The book shows two authors, 'Kilgore Trout' and 'Kilgore Trout (pseudonym)', and both links lead to the same GR url.

Is this how it should be listed? I thought that books written under a pseudonym are to be shown under the author's name, not the pen name.

Can I change one of the authors to PJF? Or is there another way this should be handled? Thank you!

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42444 comments Mod
It looks like PJF was listed, and either the author-order-switching bug struck, or something. Yes, please fix.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Velma wrote: "PI thought that books written under a pseudonym are to be shown under the author's name, not the pen name."

One thing: this is not always true. If the book was only ever published under the pseudonym, it should be the primary author, and the author's actual name would be secondary (if at all).

message 4: by Velma (new)

Velma (velmalikevelvet) | 61 comments rivka wrote: "Velma wrote: "PI thought that books written under a pseudonym are to be shown under the author's name, not the pen name."

One thing: this is not always true. If the book was only ever published un..."

Just want to make sure I fix things correctly - may I change all editions to PJF as primary & Kilgore Trout as pseudonymous secondary?

Thanks Rivka!

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

That's fine, although any that have just PJF on the cover wouldn't need a secondary listed.

message 6: by Velma (new)

Velma (velmalikevelvet) | 61 comments rivka wrote: "That's fine, although any that have just PJF on the cover wouldn't need a secondary listed."

thanks

message 7: by Peter (last edited Feb 28, 2012 05:41PM) (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Velma wrote: "I thought that books written under a pseudonym are to be shown under the author's name, not the pen name. "

My understanding was that it depended upon how the book was originally published. If the book was originally published under a pseudonym, the pseudonym was to be listed as the primary author. If the particular edition was published under the author's actual name, the actual name is to be added as a secondary author.

@Rivka, have I been doing it wrong?

ETA:
Quote from Librarian Manual:
Regarding author pseudonyms or pen names - some authors write or have written under multiple names. When editing or adding information for a book written by an author with multiple names, enter the author's name as on the front cover as the primary author. The author's other names may be added in the other author fields. Original name or other pen names can added and linked via a Librarian Note: in the description field, or using the Librarian Note feature located above the Title field. In some cases, a book may be originally published under a pen name, but then later reissued under the author's original name. When this happens, the author listed for any and all editions should be the author name the book was originally published under - so the reissued edition would need its author name changed to the originally published pen name. Doing this will allow the various editions to be combined.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Peter wrote: "My understanding was that it depended upon how the book was originally published."

Upon reflection, I believe that may have been the consensus. However, I think that as long as the primary author of a given work is the same on all editions, whether it is the pseudonymous name or real name that is listed first is less critical.

And with the current bug in the author-position-switcher, I wouldn't suggest flipping lots of authors around . . .

message 9: by Peter (last edited Feb 28, 2012 08:03PM) (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments rivka wrote: "And with the current bug in the author-position-switcher, I wouldn't suggest flipping lots of authors around . . . "

So that will be an area for future fixes, once the author-position-switcher is fully functional?

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I still think it would be less critical, but sure.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 28, 2012 08:16PM) (new)

As an author who writes under both a pseudonym and my name, I'd be incredibly angry to have the name I chose for a publication either changed or combined with the other name unless I'd explicitly claimed the pseudonymous works (like Anne Rice or Stephen King). I can't speak for others' preferences, but I separate my publication names for a reason.

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

No one is talking about merging the two names.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Venus on the Half-Shell (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kilgore Trout (other topics)