Book Quotes <3 discussion

Fun and Games :) > Absolutely Fascinating Facts @ RaNdOm!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Katherine, the awkward one (last edited Feb 28, 2012 11:06AM) (new)

Katherine (katherinehuang) | 295 comments Mod
So, I guess I'll just post an absolutely awesomely interesting fact on here at random. Not one of those boring ones. Or well, I'll try not to anyway (: I'll also add on my own opinions and what not I guess...to make it more interesting. Alright here is the first one:

Do you have Lilapsophobia (fear of tornadoes)? If so then this fact will put your mind at ease! Apparently, your odds of being killed by a tornado is 1 in, not 1, not 50, but 2 million! Isn't that just swell? So if I were to just stand there while a tornado hit me straight on I would most likely still be....still standing alive! Phew~

message 2: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

The Bible alludes to pi in 1 Kings 7:23 where it describes the altar inside Solomon’s temple: “And he made a molten sea of ten cubits from brim to brim . . . and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.” These measurements procure the following equation: 333/106 = 3.141509.

Holy freakin asdklfjsdfaoiwgfwhaa! That is pretty cool. I didn't know pi even existed back then. In either fashion....I think I'll look that up now. It'll be the next fantabulously awe-inspiring fact.

message 3: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

Penelope wrote: "A dragonfly has a lifespan of 24 hours."

I knew that! Such a short life...that of a dragonfly.

message 4: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

The first pies appeared around 9500 BC, in the Egyptian Neolithic period or New Stone Age. Early pies were in the form of galettes wrapping honey as a treat inside a cover of ground oats, wheat, rye or barley. These galettes developed into a form of early sweet pastry or desserts, evidence of which can be found on the tomb walls of the Pharaoh Ramesses II, who ruled from 1304 to 1237 BC, located in the Valley of the Kings.[2] Sometime before 2000 BC, a recipe for chicken pie was written on a tablet in Sumer.

Whoa. So pies were invented in Egypt. Never would have guessed...

message 5: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

Somewhere between 50% to 75% of drunk drivers who have their licenses suspended for DUI convictions continue to drive without a license.

Haha, I find that funny because I'm in Driver's Ed right now. They probably would.

message 6: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

By the fourth century B.C., the Chinese were drilling for natural gas and using it as a heat source, preceding Western natural gas drilling by about 2,300 years.

Another point for the asians. XP

message 7: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

Red hearts are a ubiquitous Valentine symbol. Red is traditionally associated with the color of blood. At one time, people thought that the heart, which pumps blood, was the part of the body that felt love. In fact, when the Egyptians mummified their dead for burial, they removed every organ but the heart because they believed the heart was the only part of the body necessary for the trip through eternity.

Dude, I want to donate my organs to people when I die, except for my brain and heart. I feel that those are the two things that basically make me, me and if I give them away it's like someone is stealing who I was or something.. Anyway that was way random, sorry for the ramble.

message 8: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

Penelope wrote: "A giraffe can clean its ears with its 21-inch tongue."

Ewwwww, glad my tongue isn't that long so I don't have to do that. XP

message 9: by Arushi (new)

Arushi (arushilisa) When you die your hair still grows for a couple of months.

message 10: by Arushi (new)

Arushi (arushilisa) Penelope wrote: "A Saudi Arabian woman can get a divorce if her husband doesn't give her coffee."

omg really?!

message 11: by Arushi (new)

Arushi (arushilisa) The sound of E.T. walking was made by someone squishing her hands in jelly.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

The shortest war was 38 minutes long.

message 13: by Arushi (new)

Arushi (arushilisa) The word "nerd" was first coined by Dr. Seuss in "If I Ran the Zoo."

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

The full name of a Barbie doll is Barbara Millicent Roberts.

message 15: by Arushi (new)

Arushi (arushilisa) The United States has never lost a war in which mules were used.

message 16: by Katherine, the awkward one (last edited Feb 28, 2012 05:04PM) (new)

Mackenzie wrote: "The full name of a Barbie doll is Barbara Millicent Roberts."

Barbie sounds A LOT better than Barbara...in my opinion XP

Mackenzie wrote: "The shortest war was 38 minutes long."

Whoa...what did they do the whole time haha

message 17: by Katherine, the awkward one (last edited Feb 28, 2012 05:17PM) (new)

Penelope wrote: "Honeybees have hair on their eyes.

I bet that would feel weird, eh?"

ewwww that's like having your eyelashes all over your eeeeyyyyeeeeeesss!! DX

message 18: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

During the first half of the twentieth century, Shanghai was the only port in the world to accept Jews fleeing the Holocaust without an entry visa.

message 19: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

A recent Dutch study suggests that depressed dads are twice as likely to have an infant who cries excessively than dads who are not depressed.

Lol, whut?

message 20: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

Nurses who work night shifts and flight attendants who have circadian rhythm disruption have a higher risk of breast cancer with long-term employment. The International Agency for Research on Cancer recently concluded that shift work, especially at night, is carcinogenic to humans.

PEN~!

message 21: by Katherine, the awkward one (last edited Feb 28, 2012 05:22PM) (new)

In 2009, Apple sold 40 million iPhones. That’s 4,583 sold per hour, 76 per minute, or 1.27 per second. The iPhone is sold in 89 countries.

.....how the heck do you sell 1.27 iPhones? haha

message 22: by Arushi (new)

Arushi (arushilisa) The first known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used by Egyptians in 2000 B.C.

message 23: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

arushiLisa :) wrote: "The first known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used by Egyptians in 2000 B.C."

ewwwwwww!! haha good thing I'm not Egyptian or was born back then

message 24: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

The average Facebook user has 130 friends and sends eight friend requests per month.

Guess I'm not the average Facebooker...

message 25: by Arushi (new)

Arushi (arushilisa) Kansas state law requires pedestrians crossing the highways at night to wear tail lights

message 26: by Arushi (new)

Arushi (arushilisa) Katherine wrote: "The average Facebook user has 130 friends and sends eight friend requests per month.

Guess I'm not the average Facebooker..."

only 130? lol i wouldve thought it'd be higher xD

message 27: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

arushiLisa :) wrote: "Katherine wrote: "The average Facebook user has 130 friends and sends eight friend requests per month.

Guess I'm not the average Facebooker..."

only 130? lol i wouldve thought it'd be higher xD"

me too!

message 28: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

arushiLisa :) wrote: "Kansas state law requires pedestrians crossing the highways at night to wear tail lights"

Psssshhhh!! hahaha I won't be needing to walk across a highway at night so it's all good. Especially in Kansas.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

A man once sued his doctor because he survived his cancer longer than the doctor predicted.

message 30: by Arushi (new)

Arushi (arushilisa) Here's five lol

1. Clans of long ago that wanted to get rid of unwanted people without killing them used to burn their houses down -- hence the expression "to get fired"
2. In ancient Rome, it was considered a sign of leadership to be born with a crooked nose.
3. The largest number of children born to one woman is recorded at 69. From 1725-1765, a Russian peasant woman gave birth to 16 sets of twins, 7 sets of triplets, and 4 sets of quadruplets.
4. Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump
5. The human heart creates enough pressure to squirt blood 30 feet (9 m)

message 31: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

Penelope wrote: "Um... Kat? Why did you say PEN~! all of a sudden there??

So the average Facebooker use has 130 friends and sends eight friend requests per month? Hmph... I'm not average. That must mean... I'm abn..."

because the fact had "circadian rhythm" (:

message 32: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

Penelope wrote: "That is dang crazy right there... The 69 children? Oh goodness...

I find that if an elephant were to jump, our world would probably go back in time or something...

"To get fired!" Whoa that's coo..."

lol!! Speaker of the house can't speak...hahahaah! Chocolate bar melted in his pocket, great stuff.

message 33: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

British monarch, Charles the II (1630-1685) would rub mummy dust on his skin, believing “Greatness” would rub off.

message 34: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

Some psychologists argue that we fall in love with someone who is similar to the parent with whom we have unresolved childhood issues, unaware we are seeking to resolve this childhood relationship in adulthood.

I'm pretty sure that this does NOT apply to me. haha holy shmoly

message 35: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

The Chinese invented paper, the compass, gunpowder, and printing.

Another one for the asians (: ahaha

message 36: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

President John Quincy Adams (1767-1848) would often skinny dip in the Potomac River.

Never swimming in the Potomac River...

message 37: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

China has the world’s oldest calendar. This lunar calendar originated in 2600 B.C. and has 12 zodiac signs. It takes 60 years to complete.

15 down, 45 more to go!

message 38: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

The snake was a common image in Roman art and jewelry and was believed to have powers over a family’s well-being.

Pen, I told you your snake ring would come in handy!

message 39: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

In Southeast Asia, small club-footed bats roost inside bamboo stalks. To reach their home, the bats squeeze into an opening as small as 0.4 inches—about the width of a fingernail.

....................they must have no bones or something....

message 40: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

Phrases in English suggest a negative view of left-handedness. For example, a “left-handed complement” is actually an insult. A “left-handed marriage” is not a marriage but an adulterous sexual liaison, as in a “left-handed honeymoon with someone else’s husband.” A “left-handed wife” is actually a mistress.

I am offended.

message 41: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

Nicknames for a menstrual period include Aunt Flo, On the Rag, I’m at a Red Light, Surfing the Crimson Tide, Checked into Red Roof Inn, Curse of Dracula, Leak Week, My Dot, and Monthly Oil Change.

I call it !

message 42: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

A cat almost never meows at another cat, mostly just humans. Cats typically will spit, purr, and hiss at other cats.

That is interesting...but every time I meow at a cat they turn around to look at me.... O_o

message 43: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

Vampire legends may have been based on Vlad of Walachia, also known as Vlad the Impaler (c. 1431-1476). He had a habit of nailing hats to people’s heads, skinning them alive, and impaling them on upright stakes. He also liked to dip bread into the blood of his enemies and eat it. His name, Vlad, means son of the dragon or Dracula, who has been identified as the historical Dracula. Though Vlad the Impaler was murdered in 1476, his tomb is reported empty.

O__O

message 44: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

You cannot snore and dream at the same time.

hahaha wow, they would know that.

message 45: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

The archangel Gabriel is considered the archangel of childbirth, emotions, and dreams.e

message 46: by Arushi (new)

Arushi (arushilisa) Two nice wordplays.

"I'm alas a salami" is a palindrome.

Malayalam is the only language that,'s a palindrome.

Stressed backwards spells desserts.
^^lol this clearly necessitates dessert eating in stressful time.

message 47: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

Penelope wrote: "5% of Canadians don't know the first 7 words of the Canadian anthem, but know the first 9 of the American anthem.

7% of Americans don't know the first 9 words of the American anthem, but know the ..."

Freak!! WHOAAAAAAAA~

message 48: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

Upon five minutes of waking, 50% of a dream is forgotten. Within 10 minutes, 90% of it is forgotten.

message 49: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

Worldwide, men have a life expectancy of 64.52 years, as compared to a life expectancy of 68.76 years for women.

Scientists have discovered that men's and women’s brains actually function somewhat differently. When focused on a task, men tend to use only one side of their brain at a time, devoting all of their attention and concentration to the task at hand. Women, on the other hand, tend to use both sides of the brain at the same time, making them more adept at "multi-tasking. (heck yes!)

In Quitman, Georgia, chickens may not cross the road.

It’s illegal to ride an ugly horse in Wilbur, Washington.

In Mohave County, Arizona, if anyone is caught stealing soap, he must wash himself with it until the soap is gone. (Wouldn't that be the purpose of stealing it in the first place??)

First cousins may marry in Utah, but only after they’re 65 years old.

In Tennessee, it is illegal for children to play games on Sunday without a license.

It is illegal in California to lick toads. Apparently, some people were licking toads to get high. Unfortunately, some people were being harmed by the toads’ poison.

An old Colorado law states that a person mush have a doctor’s prescription before taking a bath.

Colorado law states that a man cannot marry his wife’s grandmother. (but the wife can marry HIS grandmother, I guess.)

In Kansas, when two trains meet at a crossing, “both shall come to full stop and neither shall start up again until the other has gone. (good luck, Priya)

In Michigan, a woman’s hair belongs to her husband. (Umm, who's head is it attached to? Me, my hair will belong to me..)

In Morrisville, Pennsylvania, it is illegal for a woman to wear cosmetics without a permit.

In Truro, Mississippi, a man must prove himself worthy before getting married by hunting and killing either six blackbirds or three crows.

A woman in Memphis, Tennessee, is not allowed to drive a car unless a man is in front of the car waving a red flag to warn people and other cars. (I'm pretty sure that either this law is not true or my aunt doesn't know about it..)

It is illegal in Waco, Texas, to throw a banana peel onto the street because a horse could slip. (PFFFTTT!! haha because it's definitely not littering or anything, always considering our fellow animals)

message 50: by Katherine, the awkward one (new)

There is a law in South Carolina that allows a husband to beat his wife on the courthouse steps on a Sunday.

...Definitely NOT moving to South Carolina...

« previous 1