Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire question

Do you think this one had too many problems?
Samantha The Escapist Samantha The Escapist Feb 28, 2012 09:38AM
I love both this and the Prisoner of Azkaban but they're both guilty of telling their stories in a way that seems more convenient than necessary.

Now before you skip the rest and comment look at what I gave them, I LOVED these books but that's why I have to be hard on them.

The plot to get Harry into the tournament and make sure he died there seemed convoluted at best. He had his guy at the school, with the clear capability of turning just about anything he wanted into a portkey any time. So why the tournament? and sure maybe there were many preparations but still, highly unnecessary.

The best excuse I can think of is that they wanted a way to do it without blowing their cover or suggesting the return of the Dark Lord but wouldn't that be better acheived in a way that didn't hinge entirely on a 14 year old boy beating immensely talented 17 year olds to the centre of a maze wrought with dangers in the most high profile event that year in the wizarding world? Sure Moody helped him a ton but wasn't that WAY more work than necessary?

If she really wanted Harry in the games then have it just be some stupid hanger-on of Voldy trying to get some last revenge to see if he happens to die in the tourny (without knowing Voldemorte was coming back), and have Moody at the school just gathering intell until such time as the dark lord calls on him to abandon his post and bring the potter boy along for re-corporealization.

That being said this book would otherwise be one of my favourites with the events of the tournament.

The only thing that I didn't care for was the moodiness of Harry, Ron, and Hermione - but I guess when one is 14 that just comes with the age, and Rowling was being accurate.

Also I think people are right when they say that Voldemort had a flair for the dramatic (and ultimately pride, which as they say, comes before the fall).

I think everything was necessary proving Voldemort would go to any lengths to get Harry alone including tampering with the tournament. Voldemort has been one for ceremony and wanted Harry alone to kill him, he didn't want the other wizards like Dumbledore around. Also it was more dramatic for Harry to return with Cedric's body rather than the dark lord just appearing.

I totally disagree. JKR planned these books meticulously.

The reason Harry gets in to the tournament is because Barty Crouch JR. (as Mad Eye Moody) puts his name in to the Goblet of fire as it has all been set up by the Death Eaters that Voldemort will rise here and he wants Harry here.

As for the whole making a portkey anywhere thing - they wanted to get Harry completely alone where he wouldn't be surrounded by hundreds of fellow wizards and in particular, Dumbledore.

It would be an extremely boring book if it was as simple as just Harry facing him without all the drama surrounding it.

And that is why JKR is a best selling author.

http://divaliciouzbookreviews.blogspo...

yes way to many problems

One also has to remember Rowlings characterisation of voldemort, his love of ceremony to emphasisie his greatness, because wormtail also suggested using just any old enemy of voldemort but voldemort refuses, because he is obsessed with the symbolism of it, the boy who took his power from his, giving it back unwillingly

Lauren (last edited May 26, 2012 11:08PM ) May 26, 2012 11:03PM   0 votes
I see where you're coming from, but I feel like this had to happen.

He had to work with the tournament, but there was another factor he had to work with and that was to get himself alone with Harry the tournament was the easiest way without people noticing because they'd be too preoccupied with other things. Yes as the tasks got harder Harry's chances for death went up. Each task though had a bit of Harry's strengths in each and ultimately had two people there that could keep Harry alive long enough for him to reach the port-key: Dumbledore and Barty Crouch Jr. Yes to put Harry through this was a bit much, but since when was Voldemort not dramatic and wanting to make Harry, or anyone else for that matter, suffer? Also, Voldemort needed a distraction for Dumbledore to get Harry alone, and this tournament provided the perfect cover as Dumbledore will be worrying over the safety of Harry and the other students that he could become "blind" to the bigger picture until the very end. Voldemort didn't want Dumbledore to be suspicious and if Barty Jr just conjured up a port-key all willy-nilly or just took him to the shrieking shack, for a look around, during a hogsmeade visit, it would be very obvious and rather specific as to whom was behind it.

There's also one other thing that was over looked if you didn't have the tournament, how does Voldemort get the 7th horcrux? Wtih creation of the 7th and final horcrux by the death of Bertha Jorkins, you have the final horcrux. This is a small but very important event to happen in the timeline. She, Rowling, needed, in a sense, this tournament provides a way to get it, albeit without readers knowing till the 6th and 7th books.

Finally this tournament provides two other semi-important illustrations/people. First is the fact that other countries have schools for magic and have a different curriculum, such as Durmstrang actually TEACHING the Dark Arts, a foil to Hogwarts teaching DEFENSE against it. It also starts to introduce characters from other countries, Krum and Fleur, as well as other Half-Giants, Aurors, and more Death Eaters. It even helps provide a way for us to learn about Grindlewald later on and the connection to Voldemort there.

While it seems Barty Crouch Jr and Voldemort went to great lengths to get Harry alone with the use of this tournament, it actually provides a catalyst for many other characters and such. This is just my theory behind it all. Yes, I realize I am posting a wall of text.

Samantha The Escapist I guess the point I mostly keep trying to make is that in the context of writing a book series, this book is great and there are many excuses to do it ...more
May 27, 2012 08:14AM

OMG i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed this book!! :)

I agree with you. Especially since Voldemort wanted Harry alive, and there was a high risk of him dying in the first task if "Moody" had misjudged his flying ability.

Yeah, it would have made it a shorter book, but there were ways "Moody" could have got him to pick up a portkey without being obvious he made it.

Carly (last edited Apr 07, 2012 07:55AM ) Apr 07, 2012 07:54AM   0 votes
Harry may have doubted he would win, but being all the times he beat Voldemort, Voldemort didn't seem to think the same thing. Of course, fake Moody would make sure he would win as well so that Harry could be delivered to the dark lord.

Gosh, I really love this book.

It wasn't my favourite of the series, but it was good, from my opinion.

I never really thought about it, but I just assume it was easier trying to kill him off with the tournament then opening coming after him.

"Moody" made sure Harry won by helping him the whole way. he told harry to use his broom against the Dragon, he gave Dobby that weed stuff that let him breath underwater while the rest of the kids used that bubble spell and in the maze he sabotaged a lot of the traps so harry had an easier time than the rest. the Death Eaters knew harry was a powerful wizard already and they pushed him that little bit further.

Goblet of Fire would not have been as amazing as it was if they removed all of the things leading up to Voldemort rising up again. It would have been very boring and J K Rowling wouldn't be the richest author ever.

willysbookreviews.blogspot.com

Samantha The Escapist but it would have made more sense...i'm not talking about how much fun the book is to read, I'm talking about parts that seem to stretch too hard. ...more
May 23, 2012 07:19PM · flag