Should have read classics discussion

Children's Group Read > A Wrinkle In Time

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Lisa (lmmmml) | 1864 comments Mod
The discussion thread for A Wrinkle in Time. Please remember to use spoiler alerts if needed and happy reading!

message 2: by Tasha (new)

Tasha | 5 comments I'm really looking forward to this read. I msut admit I never heard of thius book before goodreads but it seems as if it could really be my cup of tea. I hope I won't be disappointed.

message 3: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  Ginder Never read either, although I have heard about it for years.

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) It was a dark and stormy night.

:)

I look forward to the discussion. Don't know if I'll participate in the read but I'll try; I would love to reread it.

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin | 2 comments This was one of most favorite books when I was in 4th grade ad will most definitely read it again for this!

message 6: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

I picked this up this afternoon and must say that it is so not what I expected! It keeps you reading that is for sure, had to stop to make the family dinner, but will be returning after that. Spoiler: Is Mrs. Whatsit supposed to be a heavenly being? Or just a being from outer space? I can see that this discussion could go into many different directions!

message 7: by Cleo (new)

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 106 comments That's an interesting question, Lisa, and it was what I was wondering too. My guess is that she is like a heavenly being but I've read further than you so I don't want to give anything away. Where have you read to? Yes, the conversation certainly could get interesting. L'Engle doesn't seem as obvious as other writers such as C.S. Lewis, so she kind of leaves you guessing ......

message 8: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Just finished it at I'm not sure where to start. I found the whole concept very interesting and thought provoking. I didn't realize that the book had such Christian overtones to it. The idea of time and space travel was interesting. Wow, I don't know where to begin! How about everyone else?

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) I've actually been swamped with coursework so haven't gotten around to hunting for my copy yet. It's been so long since I'd read it. I don't recall Christian overtones. In fact, I remember distinctly feeling surprised by the Christian overtones in Many Waters. I'd love to read it again and see if I pick them up this time.

message 10: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) YOu know, I collected this set for my son's little library and since I hadn't read them in my childhood, read them about a year ago. I expected to love them but was really disappointed. I guess they are books best enjoyed from childhood, so will be sure to introduce them to my son before he's too "grown".

message 11: by Jamey (new)

Jamey | 14 comments I'm loving this so much more than when I was a kid. I really can't figure out why I couldn't get into it! I hope to finish this weekend, so we can start discussing!

message 12: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Did any parts of this book remind people of 1984? I also have to say that the brain part reminded me of Star Trek when Kirk goes to the planet with 4 brains and one is trying to take over the others. Ha, the funny things that come up when you read books!

message 13: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  Ginder Jamey wrote: "I'm loving this so much more than when I was a kid. I really can't figure out why I couldn't get into it! I hope to finish this weekend, so we can start discussing!"

I'm only half-way through, but I think some of the concepts are pretty complicated for a child. I would never have read this as a child. Even now, I stopped reading several days when I got to the tesseract demonstration and explanation!

message 14: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) I read this as a kid and loved it.

“You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.”
― Madeleine L'Engle

message 15: by Cleo (new)

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 106 comments Beth A. wrote: "I read this as a kid and loved it.

“You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.”
― Madeleine L'Engle"

:-D I love this quote!

message 16: by Twofloods (new)

Twofloods Flood | 3 comments I loved this book as a child and returning to it as an adult made me so happy. I have always identified with Meg (especially since we share our first name) and I loved getting to know her again. I'm glad this was a choice this month!

message 17: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) Beth A. wrote: "I read this as a kid and loved it.

― Madeleine L'Engle"

That makes so much sense! :D

message 18: by Killian (new)

Killian (killianperry) I was left not sure what to think of this... My mother has taught this book for years but I've never read it until now. I think as a child I might have gotten more out of it, but as an adult I just found it disjointed and, at times, confused. A good overall message, but I don't think I really took anything away from it.

message 19: by Anindyta (new)

Anindyta (fingerprintale) | 2 comments I never read it, I'm Indonesian so in our school we never read this book. Although, I read writer opinion about this book, and I could tell it's some kind of science fiction thing.
Maybe I will read it. It's interesting.

message 20: by Christine (new)

Christine I remember reading this in sixth grade and not liking it. My reading teacher was kind of weird, and I didn't like sci-fi back then. But I'm reading it aloud to my daughter this week, and we are both enjoying it. I might even go ahead and read others in the series. I'm glad this came up on the list.

message 21: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  Ginder Lisa wrote: "Just finished it at I'm not sure where to start. I found the whole concept very interesting and thought provoking. I didn't realize that the book had such Christian overtones to it. The idea of ..."

I finished this yesterday. I had never read it even as a child since I have never really liked fantasy. However, I enjoyed this. I'm not sure I would have read it and enjoyed it as a child. I still didn't understand the concept of the fifth dimension and tesseract!

Yes, it is certainly a book with a lot of Christian themes. There are several direct quotes from the Bible, although the characters don't indicate this when they recite them word for word. The book is about good and evil. The evil seems to spread, in this case around the universe. Evil is difficult to overcome because of IT's great power. However, the power of love and caring will win out in the end.

message 22: by Jamey (new)

Jamey | 14 comments I'm only half-way through, but I think some of the concepts are pretty complicated for a child. I would never have read this as a child. Even now, I stopped reading several days when I got to the tesseract demonstration and explanation!

Yeah. I had to stop reading for several days too. I thought the first half flew by, but the second half after they landed on the dark planet just went on, and on, and on.

The dark planet definitely reminded me of 1984. Also, has anyone read The Mysterious Benedict Society? The part where the man with the red eyes controls their brain reminds me so much of the evil character in that book!