The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Mass Effect 3 is Almost Here!

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Martinson | 24 comments Mass Effect 3 comes out next week, demo is available now, and brings to a close what is to my mind the most effective and creative use of the sci-fi genre in video games so far. Especially world of unlicensed properties. What are other peoples thoughts on the series at large or the game in particular after it becomes available?

message 2: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments I love that they were able to create a compelling space opera outside of Star Wars. I've only played the first, and am stuck between deciding to upgrade my PC or play the 2nd and 3rd on PS3. I'd lose my precious Shephard, though.

I even read two of the novels, which, though fluffy, were entertaining enough.

I'll be interested to see what they do in the universe after the main trilogy is completed. I can't believe they'd toss a money-maker like this away.

message 3: by Lawrence (new)

Lawrence Greer | 2 comments I knew about mass effect from listening to video game podcast. i liked the story but it would be a toss up between halo and mass effect as to which story is better. That is video game story mind you.

I'm playing Mass Effect on PS3.

message 4: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3511 comments Mod
I can't wait to see how my choices in the first 2 games affect my game in Mass Effect 3.

I have 2 separate play throughs on both ME 1 & 2. One character has taken the paragon path and one is a total renegade.

I normally like to make the "good" choices in a game like this, but I had a ball with my bad ass female Shepherd. The only time she was nice was when she was trying (and succeeding) to get it on with Liara ;-)

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelbetts) @Lawrence if you haven't finished Mass Effect yet, you might change your tune yet by the end. Of course I haven't finished the Halo series either so maybe I shouldn't speak.

message 6: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Matheson (tanstaafl) | 31 comments I'll just leave this here. The Mass Effect Rap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HExOCl...

message 7: by Keith (new)

Keith (keithatc) Mass Effect 1-2 got more emotional involvement out of me than any movie I've seen in a long time. It has its cheesy moments of bad writing and awkward dialogue, but it's also a quantum leap forward in terms of storytelling quality in games.

I'm excited about part 3, so much so that it might even move me to violate my usual MO of waiting a year to buy a game so it only costs $9.

Something I've noticed in both ME and Fallout 3, and something that I wish would be mentioned in all those "video games make you a bloodthirsty murderer" panic reports -- I have tried several times to take the crazy or renegade path, and though I allow myself some flashes of anger from time to time depending ont he character with whom I'm interacting, I always end up taking the much more paragon-ish path every time, even when I'm actively trying not to.

message 8: by Jason (new)

Jason Bergman (loonyboi) | 166 comments I'm very excited to play Mass Effect 3, but I might hold off on playing it for a while. I'm still too wrapped up in SWTOR, and I don't feel like putting that on hold.

Plus I figure the longer I wait, the more DLC will be available. :)

message 9: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2257 comments Collector's edition already preordered although I might not start playing it right away. My FemShep was total paragon (well, I think she punched someone out a window and/or shot someone who was monologuing, but other than that . . .). And she was totally faithful to Liara. (Ensign Kelly doesn't count, right?)

message 10: by Christine (new)

Christine (ladysioned) | 32 comments I am soooooooo excited for this game!!!! I red ringed my xbox playing the second one because I was so drawn in to the story I played for hours and hours..I felt the same about the first game too where I was the character. I want more games that have great story telling like that.

message 11: by Random (last edited Feb 28, 2012 04:25PM) (new)

Random (rand0m1s) Christine wrote: "I am soooooooo excited for this game!!!! I red ringed my xbox playing the second one because I was so drawn in to the story I played for hours and hours..I felt the same about the first game too wh..."

Bioware has am amazing talent at building story and pulling you in. I recommend taking a look at some of their other RPGs. They have been responsible for drops in my reading progress a number of times. :)

message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine (ladysioned) | 32 comments Random wrote: I recommend taking a look at some of their other RPGs...

I play a lot of video games! I enjoyed Jade Empire, and the Dragon Age games but nothing sucked me in like Mass Effect. I tried to get into Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic but I just have trouble being sucked in by that battle system. I like to swing my own sword so to speak.

message 13: by Thomas (last edited Feb 29, 2012 04:21PM) (new)

Thomas Martinson | 24 comments My problem in ME2 was that on my first time through I did not realize that the strength of my paragon/rengade would help in conversations. So I was nice to all my friends and allies and a utter bastard to to my enemies, so frequently could not get certain things done optimally.

message 14: by Jessica-star (new)

Jessica-star | 6 comments It's hard to say what direction the galaxy will go after ME3. They did a great job of expanding the detail in ME2 so that we learned more about several species and their political machinations both council and non-council. Some things were only hinted at or in DLC, but without spoiling Lair of the Shadow Broker I can say that it added a lot of texture and a reminder that it's a large galaxy out there. So really, they can pick the story of a Planet or a species at any number of points...the hooks are there.

One of the things that I'm most excited about with ME3 is the fact that there will be a story mode. it may just be like casual, but if it reduces the number of enemies and battles and adds more branching stories that would be great. I was getting a little tired of all the shooty shooty in ME2 and its DLC. Some is great, but there are just too many enemies in some levels. At least ME does it realistically with guards and squads stationed in different areas for a reason--there aren't magic pop-up enemies to keep you fighting and fighting on and on like in DA2. Which i also love, but boy does the fighting wear on my enjoyment of the game.

message 15: by Christine (new)

Christine (ladysioned) | 32 comments It is almost here and I haven't preordered the collectors edition. And I'm trying to be okay with that..I do not need the collectors edition. All other collectors editions stuff I have never gets used..It is a good marketing think because I do feel like I NEED because I might be missing out on something. dang them!

message 16: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 67 comments Will get in due course as I spent a lot of time on my Shephard in the first two instalments.

message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim (kskryptonian) | 202 comments I have decided that I will not be getting mass effect 3 until I get a kinect because I need Liara to move out of my line of fire a lot.

message 18: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
I'm playing through the first Mass Effect on PC right now - bought it on Steam a long time ago and never got around to it until this release of ME3 prodded me. I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm still pretty early into it. I could see the fire-at-pop-up enemies from cover mechanics could get tiring, but they aren't for me yet, and the story and world is engaging. And as others have said, it's great to see epic sci-fi in a modern game. Assuming I keep liking it, ME2 (I have a used PS3 copy) and ME3 will be next on the gaming list.

message 19: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2257 comments Jlawrence wrote: "I'm playing through the first Mass Effect on PC right now - bought it on Steam a long time ago and never got around to it until this release of ME3 prodded me. I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm sti..."

If you really like it, you might want to pick up ME2 on PC so that you can import your save -- you can often get it pretty cheaply if you watch for a sale. Otherwise the PS3 version of ME2 has an interactive comic that you can use to make at least some of the choices you would have made in ME1 (whether particular characters live or die, which factions you side with, etc.). And then you'll want to get ME3 on the same platform as your ME2, again so you can import the save. There are consequential things that happen in ME2. Very consequential things.

message 20: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
Yeah, I'm in a bit of a conundrum about the transferring your save thing. I would really like to transfer my ME1 save, but I'm loathe to buy ME2 again when I already have it for PS3. I'm leaning towards dealing with losing my ME1 save and playing through the interactive comic, and then getting ME3 on PS3 so I can at least transfer my ME2 save. (Also, it's possible my PC won't run ME3 well, which will make the decision easier!)

message 21: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2257 comments A cunning plan!

message 22: by Keith (new)

Keith (keithatc) I'll also throw this out there: you can pick up a console version of ME1 used -- or even new sometimes -- for around $10-$15. And then you can start from the beginning all over again!

message 23: by Christine (new)

Christine (ladysioned) | 32 comments I am loving this game! These games are so well done. They suck me in so much that when I saw my love interest from the first game my heart did a little flutter. Damn them for playing with my emotion.

message 24: by aldenoneil (last edited Mar 07, 2012 12:28PM) (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Jlawrence wrote: "Yeah, I'm in a bit of a conundrum about the transferring your save thing. I would really like to transfer my ME1 save, but I'm loathe to buy ME2 again when I already have it for PS3. I'm leaning ..."

I'm in the same boat (although I don't have a copy of ME2 for any platform, yet). The only two reasons I'd buy a new PC are my Mass Effect save and Skyrim. So far, I haven't even come close to justifying a purchase on those grounds. Looks like I'm about to become a console gamer for life.

message 25: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 67 comments aldenoneil wrote: "Jlawrence wrote: "Yeah, I'm in a bit of a conundrum about the transferring your save thing. I would really like to transfer my ME1 save, but I'm loathe to buy ME2 again when I already have it for ..."

I am slowly becoming a console gamer for life...

message 26: by Skip (new)

Skip | 517 comments There are ways to get a save game file with any ME2 outcome you wanted. But you really want to play it through. I got ME and ME2 for $10 when Steam had them for sale, over the past few years. I'll get ME3 as soon as I stop working 14 hours a day.