Books of the Month > The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jennifer | 1553 comments Mod
Comments? Thoughts?

message 2: by Jennifer, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

I started this book the other night, not very far into it yet though. Has anyone else started to read this book yet?

message 3: by Jennifer, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Almost done with the book. Should be done tonight with it, so I'll post my thoughts on it tomorrow most likely ^.^.

message 4: by Dhfan4life (new) - added it

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments I'll wait and see what your thoughts are as I've already read it before. I'll try to be as objective as I can about it the first time I read it. And hopefully things don't devolve into a Peeta or Gale battle lol. Oh and I sent ya two messages Amaya. Had to break the first one in to two parts it was so long.

message 5: by Jennifer, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

No prob, lmao somehow I figured one of our messages would have to get broken up into two parts at some point. At first it was hard to read hunger games because of the way it's written but once I got used to it it was fine. It annoyed me at first though because I kept reading certain parts wrong because of it, lol. Overall I thought the book was really good. (view spoiler)

message 6: by Dhfan4life (new) - added it

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments I must have gotten so used to authors different writing styles that I totally don't recall having any difficulty reading this author at all. Your the second person that mentioned that in a thread. But I totally missed any difficulty lol. But overall I have to say the utopian idea was intriguing and I liked Prim and Gale right off the bat. Katniss wasn't really a character that grew on me but when it was all said and done I still felt that she was a rather reluctant hero in circumstances against her will. (view spoiler)

message 7: by Jennifer, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lol, probably. I only started reading first person views towards the end of last year when I read the House of Night series. It was weird at first because I wasn't used to it but then it wasn't a big deal and now I like it. The Hunger Games was slightly different with the way they worded some things and I've never read a book like that until now. Prim is adorable and I liked Gale's character, thought they would of showed him more in the book to be honest. (view spoiler)

message 8: by Dhfan4life (new) - added it

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments Then you should try reading Room. And the author writing it from a 5 year old little boy's perspective. Now that was a toughy for me at first til it eased out. But yet another sad story with that one too. Oh Gale sticks around a bit more so he will definitely be back. (view spoiler)

message 9: by Jennifer, Bookworm (last edited Mar 07, 2012 02:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

That one sounds like it would be hard to read considering it's from a 5 year old's point of view. Good to know Gale will still be around, haha. (view spoiler)

message 10: by Dhfan4life (new) - added it

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments Oh it is. And what makes it worse is that he was the product of a young kidnapped girl being raped and held captive in a shed for so many years. And once they were free it was so sad cause that shed was his whole world. He didn't know about other people and his grandparents. I tell ya, I was never so heart broken and hateful of adults as when I read that book.(view spoiler)

message 11: by Jennifer, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

That makes me think of The Girl Next Door (not the most recent one from a long while back). It's in a bit of an older setting and this young girl is kidnapped and tortured. There's a young boy who sees all of this and helps her. The movie was pretty draggy in parts but the actual plot of the whole film was really creepy and hit you kind of emotionally. If I'm not mistaken it was based on a book. (view spoiler)

♥nafi~hateandbehatedon~♥ ;3 idk??? (im_curently_hungry) | 511 comments Ught!K still wont read this book!!! Lol NEVERRR!!!!