Authors Lounge discussion

Misc. > Indie Anthology Submission

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright I'm not sure where this topic would go, but I'm wondering if any indie urban fantasy authors would be interested in uniting and doing an anthology together to showcase our work. I think it would be awesome by getting our names out there and bringing our fans to each other.

Most traditionally published authors either do a Sampler Anthology (chapter samples of your current work) or we could all do new short stories (using our current characters).

I don't know how we would do it all together... I personally think it should be a free anthology to grab more fans, but .99 cents would be awesome too.

Then you have the book cover... perhaps someone could offer to do one, if they have excellent book cover skills OR we could all chip in.

Additionally, we can get our own short stories or chapter samples edited on our own.

What do you think????

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Reuter (miritsu) | 18 comments Sounds interesting, actually, and I've been curious to see how this kind of advertising--offering something for free as an incentive--works. I'd be up for it.

message 3: by Katharina (new)

Katharina Gerlach | 7 comments I've got a few shorts I could use. The question is what age group do you aim the anthology at?

message 4: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright oooo that's a great question. All of this is brainstorming now.... Why not lets start opening up discussions in this group for the possibility of anthologies for different audiences. I can do one for adult!

message 5: by Katharina (new)

Katharina Gerlach | 7 comments If we get enough authors to jump in, I could focus on MG and/or YA.

message 6: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright I'm loving where this is going! I'll be doing a YA book release in June, so I can do a short story from that series.

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Reuter (miritsu) | 18 comments My series is adult, but my publisher wanted me to take out references to age to capture a younger audience too, if possible. *laugh* So I could fit with that.

message 8: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Kristufek | 29 comments Mod
This is a cool idea! Depending on how long you're looking each to be, I might be able to come up with something.

message 9: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright So how should we do it? I came up with the idea but I'm unsure of the executon!

message 10: by Katharina (new)

Katharina Gerlach | 7 comments Before we can start publishing, we need to collect stories. Of course, we would need a theme that will unite all the stories in the book. Do we agree on YA? When we agreed on a theme, we will need to call in more authors, evaluate the quality of the stories, put them in an order that makes sense, proofread, and publish. If someone will do the proofreading, I can do the rest, turn everything into an eBook, and make a cover for it. I'm good at that.

I suggest giving the anthology away for free with links to the author websites. That would save us the trouble to calculate how many pennies every author should get.

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Reuter (miritsu) | 18 comments I actually do some editing for my publisher, too; I offered after they published my stuff, and we've been working together ever since. :) So I'd be happy to do some proofing if anyone wants.

message 12: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright Awesome! This is coming together nicely!!!

message 13: by Katharina (new)

Katharina Gerlach | 7 comments OK, YA seems to be the age group we all agreed on, and the genre (as of the first post) should be fantasy in the broadest sense (I wouldn't narrow it to Urban Fantasy alone because that would limit the number of authors that can participate).

Now, what "theme" will our anthology have and how long do the short stories have to be to make it worth reading? Suggestions please.

message 14: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Hi all - another suggestion to consider. I was part of a short story collection in a different group. All proceeds went to a charity. The charity was thrilled and helped with marketing to their members. Just an idea to consider.

The collection was around a Christmas theme, but the genres were all over the map, making it quite a fun read. Length ranged from 2 - 15 pages.

I'd be interested in being involved.

message 15: by Katharina (new)

Katharina Gerlach | 7 comments Hello? Is there anybody out there?

We still need a unifying idea/theme that will allow us to put many different stories into one book. How about:

Differences

message 16: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Reuter (miritsu) | 18 comments Do we need a theme beyond "indie urban fantasy"? If it works, I guess...

message 17: by Katharina (new)

Katharina Gerlach | 7 comments I don't know. I'm waiting for feedback. Can some more who are interested in participating chime in , please?