Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Two different books same ISBN

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara | 54 comments Hi,

I'm working with a collection that was published recently in Portugal called Livros que mudaram o mundo.
I have all the books of this collection so i was adding it to goodreads and correcting the books that were already added under this collection when i noticed something book #9 is The Prince by Machiavelli that has the exact same ISBN as book #10 which is the Odissey by Homer.

What should i do in this situation.

I repeat i have all books of this collection.

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott Some ISBN's are reused so this is probably why. But post links to the two books here and I'll take a look at them.

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara | 54 comments I just corrected the one that already existed in goodreads date base, I haven't added the other book because i didn't know how to proceed.

message 4: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments You can add the book as normal but without the ISBN, noting in the description that it shares an ISBN with another book (and the ISBN). Also add a librarian note to the same effect.

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara | 54 comments Having serious problems with this collection =S Publisher screwed up really bad! (books weren´t published in the order they were supposed to, two books with same isbn, later they added 5 extra books altough it was only supposed to had 20 books)

I've been adding the "offial" link of the series so that librarians can see that that the books belong to the same collection.

I wish i had a scanner so i could fix the covers to but no such luck.

Is there a way, besides adding the name of the collection in the title slot, to show that these books belong to the same collection? Like you click on one of the books and the other appear as related to or belonging to such series?

message 6: by Renske (new)

Renske | 10805 comments Sara wrote: "Is there a way, besides adding the name of the collection in the title slot, to show that these books belong to the same collection? Like you click on one of the books and the other appear as related to or belonging to such series?"
There isn't a function for a collection page, only for real series, when each edition of a work belongs to the series. In this case, when only one edition of a work belongs to a collection, you can only add it to the edition field.

message 7: by Cornelia (new)

Cornelia (stage) | 86 comments To the original issue: Sometimes ISBNs are simply wrong. A way to find out about that is to search for said books in the catalogues of your national library. At least the German national library states it behind the ISBN in question if something is wrong. If that should be the case, don't add the ISBN and probably make a librarian note.

message 8: by Sara (new)

Sara | 54 comments So, from what i understand from Renske reply, I should not add the title of the collection next to the title of the books because this rule is only applicable to series (i.e. harry potter, lord of the rings...).

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42421 comments Mod
Sara wrote: "So, from what i understand from Renske reply, I should not add the title of the collection next to the title of the books because this rule is only applicable to series (i.e. harry potter, lord of ..."

Correct. It can go in the edition field.

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara | 54 comments Ok! Back to the drawing board again :P

Thank you all :)