Fever (The Chemical Garden, #2) Fever discussion

what did you think?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

zara I just finished this book and truthfully, I was very disappointed by it. it felt as if we were going around in circles only to go back to square one, and they didn't even find rowan!! I agree with whoever said that most of the the circumstances were for shock value, it didn't really do much to the plot. oh and what was the point of maddie?? nothing actually happens in this book and can I please say how sickened I am that cecily is pregnant again??

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

i agree with you. i found fever to be better than wither, but not by much. the book was slow and there was no point to it at all. I can say however that it was interesting the way (view spoiler) but after that the book just turned terrible again.

zara Kelsey wrote: "i agree with you. i found fever to be better than wither, but not by much. the book was slow and there was no point to it at all. I can say however that it was interesting the way [spoilers removed..."
the pacing was slow gabriel still has no personality, and ceily is annoying.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

zara wrote: "Kelsey wrote: "i agree with you. i found fever to be better than wither, but not by much. the book was slow and there was no point to it at all. I can say however that it was interesting the way [s..."

cecily was always annoying, and shes too whiny

zara Kelsey wrote: "zara wrote: "Kelsey wrote: "i agree with you. i found fever to be better than wither, but not by much. the book was slow and there was no point to it at all. I can say however that it was interesti..."

I just hate her naivete and don't get started about linden.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

zara wrote: "Kelsey wrote: "zara wrote: "Kelsey wrote: "i agree with you. i found fever to be better than wither, but not by much. the book was slow and there was no point to it at all. I can say however that i..."

linden doesn't know anything about the world around him, hes ignorant and arrogant

zara Kelsey wrote: "zara wrote: "Kelsey wrote: "zara wrote: "Kelsey wrote: "i agree with you. i found fever to be better than wither, but not by much. the book was slow and there was no point to it at all. I can say h..."

I wouldn't say he is arrogant, he is just stupid. I hate him for getting cecily pregnant again! I wonder what will become of him at the end.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

zara wrote: "Kelsey wrote: "zara wrote: "Kelsey wrote: "zara wrote: "Kelsey wrote: "i agree with you. i found fever to be better than wither, but not by much. the book was slow and there was no point to it at a..."

well i think hes arrogant. well you cant really hate him for that, because in a society like this the girls would have to get pregnant earlier than they usually would, and they are technically married, plus he didnt force her, so i honestly dont hate him for that.

Tania Well, I agree with most of you. The book was disappointing for me too... I honestly can't say what I was expecting out of it, but it wasn't that. Nothing big happens and it was a let down after the first book, which I thought was AMAZING!

Now... about Linden, I actually think of him as a victim in this too... Just as much as Rhine is. He is in the end being manipulated by his dad, and we see this when he doesn't know about Rhine being there (If you read you know what I am talking about). When we have seen what he thinks and does, I actually think he would be horrified at what his father has done.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Tania wrote: "Well, I agree with most of you. The book was disappointing for me too... I honestly can't say what I was expecting out of it, but it wasn't that. Nothing big happens and it was a let down after the..."

he is somewhat of a victim, but i still dislike him.

Tania Kelsey wrote: "Tania wrote: "Well, I agree with most of you. The book was disappointing for me too... I honestly can't say what I was expecting out of it, but it wasn't that. Nothing big happens and it was a let ..."

I don't have anything against him to be honest. I can't say what he does outrages me at all. For us the whole situation of him getting Cecily pregnant is a complete outrage and we are horrified, but if you really think about it, to them it is normal... They are living with the reality of the virus and that they will die, so there is no other way, it is their normal... Idk if I make sense...
Anyways, my point is that we still have to see what Linden has in store, cause I think he might surprise us all

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Tania wrote: "Kelsey wrote: "Tania wrote: "Well, I agree with most of you. The book was disappointing for me too... I honestly can't say what I was expecting out of it, but it wasn't that. Nothing big happens an..."

i agree with you about Cecily getting pregnant, the ages of giving childbirth would have to change because by the time were old enough too, in the books, were already dead. It is normal for them. i just didnt like how he treated her at the end of Fever, he didnt even listen to what she told him at all, and that angered me.

message 13: by Ali (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ali he's treated cecily poorly because she lied to him, and didn't tell him rhine was back...linden's mad and reactionary because he's is finally figuring out that everyone has been lying to him...

as readers, we look at cecily differently because she is so young to us, but as people have said, in their world she's old enough to have children and be a wife...she should be old enough to tell her husband what's going on.

didn't anyone think it strange that she could sit there and hold rhine while they put needles in her eyes? and did we ever find out how she knows that rhine is back?

i think she feels threatened by rhine, (she likes being the only/most important wife), and that is why she is trying to help her escape, (she didn't want her in the house)...i don't think she wants rhine to die though...i think she still cares for her, and so when the situation gets out of control and rhine is lying on the floor bleeding, she gets linden.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Alison wrote: "he's treated cecily poorly because she lied to him, and didn't tell him rhine was back...linden's mad and reactionary because he's is finally figuring out that everyone has been lying to him...

..."

she probably knew about the tracker in rhine's leg, because you have to remember that cecily was vaughns favorite, so she was probably told that rhine was back.
i agree with you tho, i think she was threatened by rhine because linden actually cared for her more because she looked like his first wife.

message 15: by Ali (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ali if vaughn told her about rhine, i think it would have been in attempts to control cecily, to feed on her insecurity. she was his favorite, but i think that had to do with the fact that she got pregnant, and she was the youngest and therefore the easiest to sway or mould...i don't think vaughn had any real affection for the girl.

Tania Alison wrote: "if vaughn told her about rhine, i think it would have been in attempts to control cecily, to feed on her insecurity. she was his favorite, but i think that had to do with the fact that she got pre..."

Definitely, Cecily is just another one of his pawns to get what he really wants, Rhine, I think he manipulates Cecily throughout, probably filling Cecily's head with insecurities about how Linden prefers Rhine and things like that...
Like I said, I think Linden's role is gonna change big time in the third book and we'll see about Cecily... Though I don't have much hope for her.

Scarlett At least Linden isn't that clueless anymore. Shrug. And all I got from the sequel was the thought of Gabriel and Rhine making out in a cage .. maybe more? Because .. IDK. lol I hope the last sequel will get Vaughn a punch in the face.

message 18: by Ali (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ali i hope he gets a little more than a punch in the face...maybe some needles in his eyes...

Julie I really enjoyed the beginning, I thought the circus of girls was an interesting concept. The middle was just so slow though and the end was really strange. Is anyone else tired of how obessesed Rhine is with finding Rowan?

Tania Julie wrote: "I really enjoyed the beginning, I thought the circus of girls was an interesting concept. The middle was just so slow though and the end was really strange. Is anyone else tired of how obessesed Rh..."

It seems normal to me.. I mean, wouldn't you do the same? I would look for my brother too...

message 21: by Bea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bea I agree, it was quite slow, but then Wither too was slow.. but there's something about the way Lauren Destefano writes that just really entertains me..
It was quite realistic for me, I still liked it.

Julie Tania wrote: "Julie wrote: "I really enjoyed the beginning, I thought the circus of girls was an interesting concept. The middle was just so slow though and the end was really strange. Is anyone else tired of ho..."

I would look for my brother also, but I really don't think I'd let it consume me like she does.

Marie I liked Linden very much on the first book I ended up scanning fever to the very end to see if he and Rhine will ever meet again. Luckily they do and I still hope they end up together because the whole book was a bit confusing. Although It's clear that Rhine chose Gabriel, then how come she still can't get that ring off her finger?

Hope the third books comes out earlier. I doubt it though and wish it'll be Linden and Rhine in the end.

message 24: by Neyra ♦ (new) - added it

Neyra ♦ zara wrote: "I just finished this book and truthfully, I was very disappointed by it. it felt as if we were going around in circles only to go back to square one, and they didn't even find rowan!! I agree with ..."

I agree with you, and to be honest, I didn't even make it past Chapter 4. Disappointed wouldn't even begin to define what I felt for this book. Wither was a really good book, and flowed way better than Fever; I had good expectations for it, but was disappointed. And it seems I'm not the only one >.<

message 25: by Jennifer (last edited Mar 25, 2012 10:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jennifer I just finished it and I liked it more than Wither. I liked that at the end Rhine finally came out and told Linden the truth about her and his father. I loved Gabriel. He was so sweet. I liked that it took place outside the mansion. I found that so boring during the first book. Really excited to see Rhine finally track down her brother now that she saw him on the news.

Randie D. Camp, M.S. Kelsey wrote: "i agree with you. i found fever to be better than wither, but not by much. the book was slow and there was no point to it at all. I can say however that it was interesting the way [spoilers removed..."

I thought the candy was also interesting, makes me wonder more about Rose. Maybe I should I have read that mini story about her.

Randie D. Camp, M.S. zara wrote: "Kelsey wrote: "i agree with you. i found fever to be better than wither, but not by much. the book was slow and there was no point to it at all. I can say however that it was interesting the way [s..."

Gabriel could use some more development but he hasn't had very many life experiences outside of the mansion, so it seems he will become deeper in the next book.

★ Mist ☆ Cassidy ★ I found I could barely finish the book. I didn't find anything real exciting happened in the book at all. The writing was visual like in Wither but the plots and characters were a bit lacking.

Emilie I really liked the bigining, but I feel like it then started to drag on. I did enjoy it! But i do like Wither more.

I liked Linden in this book more though....

message 30: by Jennifer (last edited Apr 04, 2012 04:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jennifer Emilie said: "I liked Linden in this book more though...."

Me too. I still don't LIKE him or anything but at least he protected Rhine and took her to the hospital and STARTED to listen to her. But he is still an idiot and should realize buying brides and locking them up in your house is not love, I don't care how he was brought up he should realize that. I'm hoping he feels bad for what he did to Rhine and gives her money to help her find her brother in the next book. Then maybe her brother, Gabriel, and Rhine can finally be happy together. Hopefully the writer also works in a cure and some more world building.

Emilie "Me too. I still don't LIKE him or anything but at least he protected Rhine and took her to the hospital and STARTED to listen to her. But..."

Yes, I feel like he wasn't such a wimp and followed his fathers every order. I still like Gabriel more though, haha.

Needmorebooks omg! so dissapointed! i honestly had very very high hopes for ths book, but was let down. i did like the idea with candy that vaughn had, but that was about it.
i thought gabriel should have played a bigger and better part. he's with her throughout everything, so i feel he deserves a bigger part.
also, everything felt like words on paper, not an actual story. i had high expectations after the first book, and was soo BORED while reading it :(

message 33: by Kay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kay I was utterly bored by it. I thought that it'd be amazing but nooooo.]= the one thing would go on and on for like 60 pages or so. Nothing completely epic happened.!

Rachel H I agree with some people. I was so excited when I got the book but it turned out to be a huge let down. I felt like the whole book went around in circles and at the end of the book they were back to square one. The only reason why i will contiune to read the third book, is because I want to see Rhine will trully see her brother again.

Samantha I thought it was annoying how she took all this effort to escape with Gabriel, but by the end it seemed like she didn't really like him.

Needmorebooks Samantha wrote: "I thought it was annoying how she took all this effort to escape with Gabriel, but by the end it seemed like she didn't really like him."

exactly! thats what i thought. i thought she really liked him - enough to escape with him - but he was barely there. I mean, he was there, but he could have played such a better part in teh story that he did.

message 37: by Rachellinkson (new)

Rachellinkson Okay, I still can not decide whether I like or dislike these sodding books. It's actually infuriating. The two small plot issues I had were 1) Die at ages 20 and 25, why so precise and why is it different for men and women? And 2)How come only North America is left? What exactly happened to the rest of the world?

The two MAJOR issues I have with these books is 1) When is Gabriel going to actually become a character I give a crap about? Linden was far more interesting and she had far more "intense" moments with him, not that I recommend polygamous relationships or a man who is clearly very deeply scarred by attachment issues to loony father...but still I believe them more as a couple.. and 2) (and I don't care if people have a go at me for this!) For two books to be so heavily centred around sex, how is she NOT having sex?! First book, sold into a marriage for the pure purpose of child rearing, and her husband is ok to be like; "it's fine dear, let dust grow down there." Second book, trapped by manic prostitute producer who wants her as her prized jewel but is okay to settle for her making it out in feathers as long as other people can see?! Makes actually no sense. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying I want this book to be heavily sexual, what I'm saying is if DeStafano wants to include forced marriages and strange brothels into her book so she can appear scandalous and have her main character be at the centre of said marriage and brothel, then her character is going to have to do something we gasp at! But despite all my moaning...I'm still reading it so she must be doing something right...

message 38: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth I appreciate the quality of writing Lauren brings to the pages...usually in YA fiction, I'm not invested in the story telling sensory details especially after reading The Hunger Games series a few months ago. Since then (and I feel that Suzanne Collins stands in the same A-list category as JK Rowlings) nothing I read seems to hold my attention or keeps me turning pages. I give a thumbs up to Lauren DeStefano for making her first few chapters of the novel intense, captivating and intriguing what with the carnival and all. Thumbs up for that.

Now...I agree with everyone who feels that Gabriel is lacking in the personality department...to an extent. This book, I kinda felt like he assumed a more 'manly' role. I was routing for him several times. That being said, it's Rhine that I have a bone to pick with. If there was anyone so blaise, so under-impressed with the world while thinking she is the most insightful/unique/ different heroine on the face of the planet Rhine takes the cake. I feel like she uses anyone that comes in to her path; Jenna, Cecily, Linden, Gabriel, Maddie. There really was no difference in my opinion between Rhine and Madame except Madame has lost more loved ones and become jaded by the cruel cruel desolate world. Rhine makes my skin crawl. If it wasn't for characters like Lilac, Maddie, the people in New York and even Linden...I would not bother reading the third book due out in the series. Sometimes I get the impression that Lauren DeStefano is trying to keep her head above water in a genre dominated by women like Collins, Rowlings, Marr, Clare and Revis with her overdramatic prose.

Did anyone else think it was MAJOR coincidence that Rhine was actually suffering from some wacky, weird withdrawal and not the fever? I thought that was a terrible plot twist thrown into the mix just to create a fast ending. I read the novel for that ending?! Come on...and don't get me started on Rowan. Maybe he will obliterate the world...one can only hope.

Rachel Rachellinkson wrote: "Okay, I still can not decide whether I like or dislike these sodding books. It's actually infuriating. The two small plot issues I had were 1) Die at ages 20 and 25, why so precise and why is it ..."

I totally agree with you on the sex issue! I kept thinking, how is she gonna get out of it this time?

And does anyone think something might happen at one point between Rhine and Linden? It was hinted a few times that she may have feelings for him and she doesn't seem to care as much about Gabriel as I thought in Wither.....

Debbie Davies i was depressed after reading this book, I thought it dragged on and someone was always ill!!

I only liked the last couple of chapters and I dont want to but I think I'll have to read the sequel just to find out what happens with Linden

Steph Thought it was good
Not great
Loved the ending though

Beverly C. I am currently in love with this book....

love

Oh and before you read any further, you should know two things :

1.) MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS, you have been warned. :|

[image error]

and

2.) HATERS TO THE LEFT PLEASE.

hate

Ok, with that done, I just would like to say that the second book was good and all, but the first was better, but who am I kidding?! I love both of them equally! And I am expecting a heck lot out of the third and final book, I just hope it won't be disappointing.

Oh and I just love the storyline, gosh, it's so sexy ME GUSTA! Seriously.

gusta

Also the characters are just plain awesome! And the ending, GAWD. I died at the ending, I was like...

woah

So yeah, I really can't wait for the third book, I am just dying to read it! I mean, ROWAN! Gawd, it's just epic. And I bet I'm the only one that's going to say this, but, I WANT RHINE TO END UP WITH LINDEN. HANDS DOWN. Or maybe with Rowan, twin complex? Ohh, sounds sexy. LOL. //shotdead

Kathy Loved the book. Can't wait for the next book so we can finally meet Rowan!

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

i loved this book and can't what for the third book "SEVER"

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Mad wrote: "I am currently in love with this book....

and

2.) HATERS TO THE LEFT PLEA..."

SAME!!!!!!!!!!! :)

message 46: by zara (new) - rated it 2 stars

zara Danielle wrote: "Mad wrote: "I am currently in love with this book....

and

2.) HATERS TO T..."

I disliked this book, it is my opinion but I'm labeled as a hater?

message 47: by Erica (last edited Jul 07, 2012 08:48PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Erica To me, the worst moment was when Vaughn walks up to her with a candle and "threatens" to burn down the orphanage. A candle fire can be put out if all the orphans form a water bucket brigade. Destefano should have given him a flamethrower.
Wither was Rhine wandering around the mansion and discovering the horrors that lurk within. "I do hope I can escape sometime."
Fever was Rhine wandering around the East Coast and dodging the horrors that lurk all around. "I do hope I can find my brother sometime."
At least Rowan has actually been doing something with his life. I'm excited to finally meeting this boy. It would have been more interesting if part of the book was told from his point of view, preferably the greater part of the book. But then people would just complain that they hadn't met up yet.
At least she finally told that sheltered boy what was going on. I've been waiting for that. "By the way, none of us love you and everybody you ever cared about is in the basement freezer." Hmm...I wonder if his parents are there.
And what's the big deal about Rhine's eyes? So they're different. Big deal. That doesn't make her beautiful. I've seen plenty of dogs with brown and blue eyes, some of them adorable little things, but I've never felt the urge to kiss a single one of them. Or protect them from every harm the way everybody does for Rhine.

Ariella Mendez Ok, Honestly I don't feel bad for saying this. I hope Cecily has a miscarriage...and dies...I just want Rhine and Linden to end up together...!!! Idk!! I hope Cecilys first baby isnt even Lindens baby!! I hope she was raped by someone else and she was just too embarrassed to tell anyone!!! ahhh is it so much just to ask for a freakig happy ending with no Cecily or Vaughn?!??

K-lee Also I really liked Fever.Heres what I think should happen in Sever.I really hope Vaughn gets the crap beat out of him by Rhine after she gets better.Then Cecily tries to break up the fight and gets stabbed with a knife and dies since she told Vaughn to kill Jenna.Linden runs into the room.Sees the fights askes his father what to do and he tells linden to use the needle on the stand on Rhine.Being tied up is not fun if your with the worst two people on earth.Right before I blacked out Vaughn said your never getting out now Rhine your mine for ever and your never getting a second chance out. Yea Linden really is on his fathers side theres a plot twist. What do you think should happen in Sever?

Siobhan I enjoyed this book a lot and could not put it down, but on the other hand it made me angry as I could not get the last book as soon as possible

« previous 1