Darynda Jones Fans discussion

TGDA Book Discussion > Day 13 - Week 2 ~ Question ~ Plot or Character?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana, Founder (new)

Dana Alma (readaholics) | 1174 comments Mod
Is the story plot or character driven? In other words, does the plot unfold quickly or focus more on characters’ inner lives?

message 2: by Candie (new)

Candie (candiegyrl) | 350 comments Mod
I would say it's a good mixture of both. :-)

message 3: by Shaz (new)

Shaz Candie wrote: "I would say it's a good mixture of both. :-)"

I agree with Candie :)

message 4: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments I'd say both but it's more character driven. I've been waiting for the Walker plot since the 1st book, but it makes sense that the story takes some time to unfold. On the other hand, there were a lot of plots in the last book, I think it made it even more compelling.

message 5: by Candie (new)

Candie (candiegyrl) | 350 comments Mod
Ines wrote: "I'd say both but it's more character driven. I've been waiting for the Walker plot since the 1st book, but it makes sense that the story takes some time to unfold. On the other hand, there were a l..."

Sub-plots are the best!

message 6: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments Candie wrote: "Ines wrote: "I'd say both but it's more character driven. I've been waiting for the Walker plot since the 1st book, but it makes sense that the story takes some time to unfold. On the other hand, t..."

And it's so funny since Charley it's terrible at focusing? Hehe

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindymac52) I think the books lean towards characters. Yes there is a wonderful plot and usually 3 or 4 sub-plots. But the interaction of the characters ie: Charley/Cookie, Charley/Garrett, Charley/Reyes...etc...are what I LIVE for! The humor of these books is in the interaction of the people!

message 8: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (amalley71) | 19 comments Cindy wrote: "I think the books lean towards characters. Yes there is a wonderful plot and usually 3 or 4 sub-plots. But the interaction of the characters ie: Charley/Cookie, Charley/Garrett, Charley/Reyes...e..."

Totally agree with Cindy.

Traci (Mad Hatter Reads) (traci-madhatterreads) | 609 comments Mod
Cindy wrote: "I think the books lean towards characters. Yes there is a wonderful plot and usually 3 or 4 sub-plots. But the interaction of the characters ie: Charley/Cookie, Charley/Garrett, Charley/Reyes...e..."

I completely agree Cindy!

Suzanne (Doppleganger) (doppleganger_suzanne) | 44 comments Me four, Cindy!

This series leans towards being character driven, but I hesitate to say that because I wouldn't want to imply that the characters are developed at the expense of the plot. Both are strong.

(Dang I can write a run-on sentence!)

message 11: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments I also agree with Candie and Cindy. I love the characters and look forward to their interactions, but the plot twists are also intriguing. What is this war the angels keep referring to? What are Charlie's powers? How can she learn about them to develop them? Why is Reyes so fearsome to all the ghosts? Why does he really not trust Charlie? What is going to happen with Garrett? These are just a few of the interesting plot twists that have me reading. Charlie is such a great character she makes the ride more fun...she is courageous, caring, spunky, and funny. Charlie turns the ride into the ultimate roller coaster ride!

message 12: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (thirstyflea) | 223 comments We are all on the same wavelength! It's the combination of the characters and the plot that keep us intrigued and coming back for more! I think that's what makes a good book- you get attached to the characters, but there is a strong plot, or multiple plots, that drive the characters and change them, or they change the plot... you know what I mean!

It's the whole "what came first, the chicken or the egg?" dilemma ;-)