UK Book Club discussion

Random Chit-Chat > Given up for lent!

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments My sister, a diagnosed choccoholic has, apparently given up chocolate for lent but lord help poor easter bunny when lent is over, no one will get a look in.

I am giving up BUYING any more books! Waterstones and Amazon will have a huge drop in sales and even the charity shops will be lacking in donations!

What have any of you lot sacrificed?!

message 2: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ian (pepecan) | 5528 comments Mod
God strewth Lynne I'll have to sell my shares. I'm giving up teasing you for Lent. Please advise if I fall off the wagon.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 7 comments Diet Coke. I am a Diet Coke addict and have chosen to give it up. I am getting a bit twitchy.

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (DeeWabbit) | 2 comments For Lent I've given up buying my husband any chocolate
:D

message 5: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Amy wrote: "Diet Coke. I am a Diet Coke addict and have chosen to give it up. I am getting a bit twitchy."

I used to be addicted to Diet Coke, I mean there are worse vices without a doubt but it's really not good for you. I ditched it altogether now, perhaps by the time you've got through lent you'll no longer feel the need to drink it.

I'm giving up nothing incidently!

message 6: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (hottoddie) | 50 comments I've given up moaning this year and saying anything negative about another person. Last year I gave up facebook but I thought keeping a guard on my tongue would be harder :)

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 7 comments Em wrote: "Amy wrote: "Diet Coke. I am a Diet Coke addict and have chosen to give it up. I am getting a bit twitchy."

I used to be addicted to Diet Coke, I mean there are worse vices without a doubt but it..."

Yeah that's what I am hoping I will achieve. I gave up chocolate last year and now eat much less of it. So I am hoping that by giving up Diet Coke I will drink less of it altogether.

message 8: by Louise (new)

Louise I gave up dairy a while back and along with many various health benefits, its cured my diet coke habit......

strange but true..

not that I was addicted or anything.

I gave up nothing for lent,ooops

message 9: by Abi (new)

Abi (abi_b) I'm another person that's given up nothing, oops...

Someone in my office has pretty much given up everything nice - chocolate, cake, crisps, alcohol, fizzy drinks, tea - definitely not something I could do, especially the tea part!

message 10: by Dave (new)

Dave Wood (pocket7976) | 985 comments I'm not giving anything up I'm afraid.

My chocolate and Coca-Cola will continue, to the delight of my work tuck shop which has seen its profits double since I started. :)

All this chocolate and I'm still only 8 stone - thank God for an overactive metabolism :)

message 11: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Fiona wrote: "How can you give up tea??

I'm not giving anything up. I've taken up running, that's enough for me. The only thing I'm good at depriving myself of, is sleep."

Agreed! Giving up tea??! No way!

I'm running too Fiona - doing Bristol 10K in May so trying to step up the training a bit.

message 12: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Ha! I'll get through it but I won't be that fast. When I started running again about 2 years ago, a mile or so was very hard work but it's surpising how quickly you can build it up.

message 13: by Sɑnɗrɑ☼ (new)

Sɑnɗrɑ☼ (forever35555) I am not giving up anything, instead, I am giving up sin towards my siblings. I am trying to be nicer to them and hold my tongue at times when remarks can become sins.

message 14: by Ian, Moderator (new)

That's a good idea Sandra. I'm going to try to hold my tongue with my Dad when he spouts his Daily Mail received views. He's 83 bless and still a brilliant Dad who tries his best to look after me, when at his age it should be the other way around.

message 15: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 684 comments Was going to suggest alcohol, but I don't drink that much.
Chocolate- no can't give up a food group I need the endorphins.
Reading- absolutely not, be like trying to give up breathing.
Moaning- Sorry I work for the NHS it's in my job contract.
Wait I'm an atheist, so I don't have to give up anything.

message 16: by Ian, Moderator (new)

That was my thought as well Deanne, but I buy Christmas presents and eat Easter eggs despite being a complete heathen, so might as well give up something for Lent. When does Lent end btw??

message 17: by Helen (new)

Helen | 4238 comments We do this in school, I planned to giveup chocolate or at least cut back but a box of creme eggs for a £! I used to jog but stopped years ago. I want to start again but worry about upsetting my calf muscle that tore last year. Any advice Em?

message 18: by Allan (new)

Allan | 14 comments Have given up chocolate- again!! Trouble is, I sometimes forget.

message 19: by Paul (new)

Paul Vincent (astronomicon) | 40 comments Sadly I don't really have anything to give up, although I don't follow the Lent thing anyway, or even know when it is!

I gave up Coca-cola last year, but that was New Year's thing, nothing to do with Lent. I don't drink alcohol, don't smoke, don't gamble, don't take any drugs. I'm beginning to fear I am too boring!

message 20: by Louise (new)

Louise Paul wrote: "Sadly I don't really have anything to give up, although I don't follow the Lent thing anyway, or even know when it is!

I gave up Coca-cola last year, but that was New Year's thing, nothing to do w..."

I fear the same thing sometimes too.
to add to your list, I dont eat dairy, so have half the normal food stuff out of my diet anyway..

all thats left is books and cinema, and not sure I am willing to give either of those two up