Jennifer L Armentrout Addicts Anonymous discussion

Addicts Support Room > Pseudonym's for author's who cross over.

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.A. (last edited Feb 27, 2012 01:37AM) (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) I'm just wondering on everyone's thoughts on author's who write in both adult and YA using the same name and figured as you're obviously all YA readers in this group, it'd be a good place to ask.
I wrote a blog post on it but the gist of it is: how do readers feel about it. Is it dodgy for a YA reader to discover an author's more adult work so easily because they write under the same name? Or does it not bother people? I ask because it's something I'll need to be addressing soon and I'm afraid my reasons for doing it are for myself rather than the reader so wanted to hear some thoughts from the other side of the fence. JLA's adult novels are in the making, right? Will she be writing under the same name? Does that bother anybody ... or am I getting in a tizz over nothing?

(ETA: Sorry, Kay, if I've stuck this in a bad place. Feel free to move)

message 2: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, JLA Super Fan! (new)

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) | 2049 comments Mod
No no. It's in the right place =)

Yes JLA's adult series are in the making and she's publishing them under a different name. I'm not sure what name because on Jen's FB page it says J.Lynn and on GR it says JL Rogers. I understand why people do it because you wouldn't want the younger readers thinking the adult series was YA but to me it doesn't really bother me. I think it's the readers responsibility to read the books appropriate for their age group.

message 3: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) If JLA's YA tales are anything to go by, I'd imagine the steaminess in her adult books could singe mine to ashes so I guess it's not surprising that she's choosing that route. However, mine aren't that 'hot' so to speak.

message 4: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, JLA Super Fan! (new)

LOL I know. Her YA books are pretty hot (you haven't seen anything till you've read Pure) so I can't even imagine what the scenes in the adult series will be like LOL

message 5: by J.A. (last edited Feb 27, 2012 05:30AM) (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) Oh Lordy! When's Pure coming, did you say? Gargh! I HATE waiting!
Oh, your books'll be in the post today. :o)

message 6: by Christie (new)

Christie Rich | 148 comments I don't mind if an author uses the same name, but I think it should be clear that it is an adult or ya series from the start.

I guess it depends on what you want. There are many authors that use penn names, and I can also see why they do it. It personnaly doesn't bother me either way.

message 7: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) It doesn't bother me, either, Christie. Though I did get a comment on my blog post from a blogger who said that she doesn't like YA books and if she discovers an author writes YA as well as adult under the same name then she removes them from her buy list. Which tells me not everyone feels the same way I do.

message 8: by Christie (new)

Christie Rich | 148 comments Wow, JA, that is harsh. Why wouldn't she just not read those books? Weird!

message 9: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) She said she'd bought books by authors whose series she follows only to find out afterwards that they're not a series instalment but a YA title instead. I'd have thought the blurb would make it clear if it's a part of a series or not though I know that's not always the case--just as a blurb doesn't always make it clear if a book's YA or adult.

message 10: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, JLA Super Fan! (new)

that is ridiculously harsh. that's like saying oh i cnt read a richele mead book coz she publishes VA and her adult series under the same name.

pure comes out april

message 11: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) Gargh! I want Pure NOW! How long till April? *whizzes off to check calendar*

Um ... yeah, I did understand her reasoning but it's not something that would ever deter me from reading an author. But I did ask for opinions and everyone's entitled to their own. :o)

message 12: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, JLA Super Fan! (new)

pure is great. I have it pre-ordered so I'll be re-reading it as soon as it comes out. I'm gonna re-read daimon and Half-Blood first.

message 13: by Christie (new)

Christie Rich | 148 comments OCD Kay {K-Books} wrote: "pure is great. I have it pre-ordered so I'll be re-reading it as soon as it comes out. I'm gonna re-read daimon and Half-Blood first."

I need to start those too!

message 14: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, JLA Super Fan! (new)

Christie, they are brilliant!

message 15: by Jessica Simone (new)

Jessica Simone | 25 comments SO where are these authors with pseudonyms??? I really want to see if some of my favourites write under a different name?