The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) The Knife of Never Letting Go discussion

Why did Ben send Todd away?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Erin I cant figure why Ben sent Todd away to the swamp. Can someone explain?

Colby I don't really remember. Are you talking about the very beginning? When he finds the hole in the noise? That was to get apples or something, right? Or the other time he gets sent away, it's because they're trying to keep him safe.

Erin Yeah, at the beginning! I know they are keeping him safe but from who and why? Im like 200 pages in and I still dont know wy they sent him away. Because he was the last boy to turn into a man and why does it matter!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

You're only 200 pages in?

Finish the book and then ask questions. By the time you get to the end, you'll probably have found a lot of stuff out.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with Maxy - if we explain to you the reason now, you'll lose the surprise/shock of finding out for yourself.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 04, 2013 10:47PM) (new)

Ugh!

Ben sends Todd away, because when Todd turns 13 (becomes a man) he will be forced to kill someone in Prentiss Town and then the whole of Prentiss Town will become an army for the Mayor to take over the whole goddamn planet.

Ben doesn't want that happening to poor Todd, plus Todd found the silence in the swamp which the Mayor wouldn't be too happy about. Todd has to get out of Prentiss Town, help keep Viola safe but he's mainly running from the army which will make him kill and turn him into a bad person.

So, that's why Ben sends him running with the knife and Manchee. There.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Erin wrote: "Yeah, at the beginning! I know they are keeping him safe but from who and why? Im like 200 pages in and I still dont know wy they sent him away. Because he was the last boy to turn into a man and w..."

Because then the Mayor'll have his army. If the Mayor has his stupid army, good buy New World/Freedom, hello slavery and the Mayor for a leader. - Not good.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

So basically, when Todd becomes a man, the world turns to shit because they Mayor'll take over and rule.

It's kinda hard to explain. I don't know if I'm making any sense?