Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Issues > ISBN Irregularity

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cally (new)

Cally (callysutherland) | 3 comments I have a copy of the Classic Adventures edition of Peter Pan and Wendy - J.M Barrie. However, using the ISBN leads me to a different book - The Story of the Treasure Seekers by E. Nesbitt. The ISBN is 1-85587-339-7 and googling brings it up as Peter Pan. Would this be able to be rectified please - it's putting a discrepancy in my personal records!

Thank you :)

Cally

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I found ISBN 10 1885873397 and ISBN 13 9781855873391 both pointing to the J.M. Barrie book (through google search). When I look at the GR book record for ISBN 9781855873391

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

the Treasure Seekers book comes up. The really strange thing: on the Librarian Change Log, your name comes up as having set the changes:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/edits/1...

This is puzzling. Did you make edits to this book already?

message 3: by Cally (new)

Cally (callysutherland) | 3 comments Jeannette wrote: "I found ISBN 10 1885873397 and ISBN 13 9781855873391 both pointing to the J.M. Barrie book (through google search). When I look at the GR book record for ISBN 9781855873391

http://www.goodreads.c..."

It may have come up as one of the books that I needed to edit to keep it on the site, but I don't have a copy of The Treasure Seekers, so I don't know why it would have come up as that! I'm pretty certain I would have copied all the details over straight out of the book I have, and that's Peter Pan and Wendy. Thanks for checking this out for me :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Looking at the librarian log, it appears you added E. Nesbit as the author, but that didn't make sense, did it? So, I didn't want to change anything. It looks like Peter Pan belongs to the ISBN, as far as I can tell. *mystery solved, I hope*

message 5: by Cally (new)

Cally (callysutherland) | 3 comments Thank you :)

message 6: by Iluzija (new)

Iluzija O. Istini | 241 comments Sometimes same ISBNs are used twice for different books. It's not great, but it happens. That is probably what happened here. Don't change ISBNs of other books just to tidy up your records. Only change if you have information about edition in question, all data that match and a proof they belong to another ISBN number.
I don't think googling ISBN is right way to go, less popular books don't stand a chance.
If ISBN is being reused, you can add book without it and add librarian note to it stating the right number.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Both ISBNs point to the Peter Pan book, and there 66 other editions listed for The Treasure Seekers, hardly a book at risk of being lost. This seems to have been a genuine mix-up during the data transition.

And, there is no record in Worldcat for that ISBN, either, (I did check), so I have to believe the physical edition showing that ISBN, the one that Cally owns, is correct.

message 8: by Iluzija (new)

Iluzija O. Istini | 241 comments You are probably right, just for me, probably is not good enough. You want to put ISBN to Peter Pan book that much? Fine. But then leave Librarian note with that same ISBN for the treasure book.
Don't judge what is truth, get proof. That's all I'm saying.
And, Jeanny, please, don't say "hardly a book at risk of being lost" again.. We are trying to record correct information. All of it. Not the ones that some of us find important.
I'm not trying to ride you, just doing what I think is right.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

IF you can prove to me that the ISBN belongs to the Nesbit book, then I will NOT change the record. I, too, am trying to correct an incorrect book record. I cannot find any record that points that ISBN to the Nesbit book. Can you suggest where I should look? And, the incorrect record was created by Cally, the same person who made the request to change it. I think she made a mistake during book rescue, and now I want to fix it.

Please don't assume that I do not want to do what is right. That is really uncalled for, and presumptuous on your part. Prove to me why I shouldn't correct an error. Don't accuse me of playing favorites and being sloppy.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to ask rivka to take a look at this. I'd like to have her advice. And, I really don't like to argue.

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43570 comments Mod
ISBNs get reused often enough that I would have assumed that was the case here. I'm not quite sure why you are sure it's not.

message 12: by Iluzija (new)

Iluzija O. Istini | 241 comments Honey, no one is doubting your motives. If I was, I wouldn't be here, writing to you.
I think your approach is wrong. I put on goodreads information about few books you can't find on internet. They are very new or too old, or limited edition and there is no way YOU could prove that information is correct. But that doesn't make it incorrect. Would you delete all of those books?
I'm not trying to argue, I'm really not. But I had to state my opinion. I could be wrong, but so could you. That is not cause for argument, but is for discussion.
I hope this one is closed. If you disagree on anything I said, feel free to spam my inbox as much as you want.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

rivka wrote: "ISBNs get reused often enough that I would have assumed that was the case here. I'm not quite sure why you are sure it's not."

Just look at the Librarian Change Log:

Cally Sutherland updated the book The Story of the Treasure Seekers by E. Nesbit
author: 'J.M.Barrie' to 'E. Nesbit'
Jan 29, 2012 11:19am (#18426363)

Cally Sutherland updated the book The Story of the Treasure Seekers by E. Nesbit
title: 'Peter Pan And Wendy - Classic Adventures' to 'The Story of the Treasure Seekers' (undo)
publication_year: '1000' to '1992' (undo)
publisher: '' to 'Fabbri Publishing Ltd 1992' (undo)

BEFORE the changes this ISBN was attached to Peter Pan and Wendy. For some reason Cally changed it to The Story of the Treasure Seekers. This looks like she made a mistake, attaching the incorrect title to this ISBN. I just want to change it back. I do know that ISBNs are re-used, but this is clearly not the case. Or, do you interpret this some other way.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Iluzija -- My name is not Honey. I do not delete books just because I feel like it. And, I do not spam anybody's inbox, even if they disagree with me in a more rude manner than you have. Seriously, I don't deserve to be talked down to by you. You can state your opinion without accusing me of all sorts of stupid things.

message 15: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43570 comments Mod
Jeannette wrote: "This looks like she made a mistake, attaching the incorrect title to this ISBN."

Ok, I see that. Makes sense to me.

I am closing this thread. And if anyone is receiving unwanted inbox messages, I suggest blocking the person sending them.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.