On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

More Authors > Thomas Wolfe

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Diane Barnes | 3975 comments Mod
Let's not forget this guy. I loved him as a young adult, visited his mother's boarding house in Ashevelle, NC which was the setting for "Look Homeward, Angel", and think he was a brilliant writer. It would be interesting to see how he re-reads now that I'm an older, much more cynical adult.

message 2: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new)

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) | 2699 comments Mod
Diane wrote: "Let's not forget this guy. I loved him as a young adult, visited his mother's boarding house in Ashevelle, NC which was the setting for "Look Homeward, Angel", and think he was a brilliant writer...."

Oh, I would never forget Wolfe. My beloved professor O.B. Emerson assigned us to read Look Homeward, Angel in the span of a week. *chuckle* And I loved it. Wolfe was a very favorite writer for Pat Conroy. His favorite English teacher took him to see "My Old Kentucky Home." Conroy told of his fascination with Wolfe in My Reading Life. It's one of the best chapters in the book. I have a copy of "Oh Lost," which is Wolfe's original manuscript of Look Homeward, Angel. In it, the real people of Asheville were named. It's quite interesting. I recommend Look Homeward: A Life of Thomas Wolfe byDavid Herbert Donaldfor a good biography of Wolfe.

message 3: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Diane Barnes | 3975 comments Mod
I agree with your opinion of Conroy's "My Reading Life". I have a personalized signed copy of it. He 's an exceptionally nice man who loves his readers. I loved Wolfe so much when I read him in my 20's that I'm almost afraid to read him again.