Read 100+ Books in 2012 discussion

March challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 215 comments Mod
Time to get ready for March's books. Don't start reading them until March 1 but start looking at what is awaiting you on your shelves, bed stands, tables, boxes, or whatever.

1. Read a book that is third in a series or has a 3 in the title.

2. Read a book with the following letters in the title or author's name: M-A-R-C-H.

3. Read a Western or about cowboys or the West.

4. In honor of St. Patrick's Day read a book about Ireland or the Irish.

5. Read a book with a food in its title or on the cover.

6. In honor of the first day of spring in the northern hemisphere, read a book about spring or with a green cover.

7. Read a book about an animal or with an animal on the cover.

8. Read a book by an author with a last name starting with a letter between A and F.

9. Your choice.

message 2: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 47 comments I am also still playing catch-up for February (actually, I am still trying to finish 2 books in these last days) before I settle my March list. I don't know why, since I usually always change a book or two on it anyways!

And yes, thanks Sheila for the categories every month, always a challenge!

message 3: by Tatum (last edited Mar 10, 2012 07:10PM) (new)

Tatum | 47 comments My (somewhat tentative) list:

Total: 6/9 Bonus: 1 Total: 7

1. Read a book that is third in a series or has a 3 in the title. (I wound up liking the second one, so we'll see if I like this one as well.)

Undead and Unappreciated by MaryJanice Davidson Done! 03/01/12

2. Read a book with the following letters in the title or author's name: M-A-R-C-H. (Not my usual sort of book, it's a Buddy Read in another group.)

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill Done! 03/07/12

3. Read a Western or about cowboys or the West. (Highly recommended by two friends.)

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

4. In honor of St. Patrick's Day read a book about Ireland or the Irish. (I've yet to read anything by her I didn't like.)

Minding Frankie by Maeve Binchy

5. Read a book with a food in its title or on the cover. (Another new series, recommended by a friend.)

The Quiche of Death by M.C. Beaton

6. In honor of the first day of spring in the northern hemisphere, read a book about spring or with a green cover.

One for the Money by Janet Evanovich One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) by Janet Evanovich Done! 03/09/12

7. Read a book about an animal or with an animal on the cover. (A group read, my kids love these though.)

The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman Done! 03/05/12

8. Read a book by an author with a last name starting with a letter between A and F. (Need to read before movie comes out!)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins Done! 03/03/12

9. Your choice.

The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths Done! 03/08/12

Bonus:
1. When God Was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman Done! 03/10/12

message 4: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 47 comments Manda wrote: "I have changed my profile everyone from Janie to Manda everyone so please don't get confused lol. photo different too - its of my puppy Ash."

Love the puppy, so cute :)

message 5: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 47 comments Heart-Shaped Box worries me a little because I am a total chicken when it comes to books like that (and movies and TV shows) but so are a couple of the people I'm reading it with, so we can all be freaked out together.

message 6: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 47 comments One for the Money One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) by Janet Evanovich Silly question, but is this green enough for the green category? My copy actually looks a little greener to me than this picture, which is more a blue-y green...

message 7: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 149 comments Tatum wrote: "One for the Money One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) by Janet Evanovich Silly question, but is this green enough for the green category? My copy actually looks a little greener to me than this picture, wh..."

I say 'Green!'

message 8: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 47 comments Well, far be it for me to disagree with the two of you, that will be my green book then!

@Manda: So... if I have a heart attack I will tell them Dr. Manda of Goodreads recommended it. Then they will be trying to bring me into a whole other wing of the hospital lol!

message 9: by Sheila (new)

Chuck wrote: "Tatum wrote: "One for the Money One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) by Janet Evanovich Silly question, but is this green enough for the green category? My copy actually looks a little greener to me than th..."

Looks green to me.

message 10: by Sheila (new)

Tatum wrote: "My (somewhat tentative) list:

Total: 0/9

1. Read a book that is third in a series or has a 3 in the title. (I wound up liking the second one, so we'll see if I like this one as well.)

[book:Unde..."

You have some great books. The Hunger Games trilogy is great! I loved it and will be rereading it before the movie comes out on March 23. One for the Money is fun! The Golden Compass was also fantastic. I met Joe Hill when he was doing a tour for his book, Horns. I'll be reading that one in October in honor of Halloween. He is very personable and funny and is the spitting image of his dad, Stephen King. Of course, he's younger and doesn't look as worn out. That was a fun night at the book store.

message 11: by Sheila (last edited Apr 05, 2012 06:22PM) (new)

Well, this is my tentative list but it's always subject to change.

8/9, 11 books

1. Read a book that is third in a series or has a 3 in the title--The Cat, the Lady and the Liar by Leann Sweeney--finished 3/8/12.

2. Read a book with the following letters in the title or author's name: M-A-R-C-H--The Terrible Privacy of Maxwell Sim by Jonathan Coe--finished 3/22/12.

3. Read a Western or about cowboys or the West--Tyler by C. H. Admirand--finished 3/5/12.

4. In honor of St. Patrick's Day read a book about Ireland or the Irish--The Irish Princess by Karen Harper--finished 3/27/12.

5. Read a book with a food in its title or on the cover--Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel--finished 3/12/12.

6. In honor of the first day of spring in the northern hemisphere, read a book about spring or with a green cover--Stone Spring by Stephen Baxter

7. Read a book about an animal or with an animal on the cover--Blackwork by Monica Ferris--finished 3/15/12.

8. Read a book by an author with a last name starting with a letter between A and F--Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare--finished 4/5/12

9. Your choice--The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins--finished 3/10/12.

Bonus:
My Life as a Stuntboy by Janet Tashjian--finished 3/1/12
Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins--finished 3/14/12
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins--finished 3/18/12

message 12: by Sheila (new)

Don't know what his dad's like but Joe is very personable and funny. Just had a blast that night at the book store.

message 13: by Kristy (last edited Mar 31, 2012 02:32PM) (new)

Kristy | 89 comments 1. Read a book that is third in a series or has a 3 in the title.

The Venus Fix by MJ Rose (3rd in the Butterfield Institute Trilogy).
(started 3/11 finished 3/16)

2. Read a book with the following letters in the title or author's name: M-A-R-C-H.

Good Christian Bitches - Kim Gatlin I need to read before TV show premieres March 4th!. (Started 3/1 finished 3/2)

Pronto Elmore Leonard (books about Deputy US Marshall Raylan Givens - TV show Justified.) (started 3/3 finished 3/10)

Rosie Dunne or Love, Rose by Cecelia Ahern (started 3/23 finihed 3/25)

Cupcakes, Sales and Cocktails by Pamela DuMond. (started & finished 3/10)

Living with the Dead: With Spring Comes the Fall by Joshua Guess (started 3/15 finshed 3/28)

Miniature Pinschers - my puppy was born 2/24, need to prep myself and my house before he comes home. (started 3/1 finished 3/10)

8. Read a book by an author with a last name starting with a letter between A and F.

A Spell for Chameleon - Piers Anthony (started 3/16 finished 3/23)

I started this series when I was a kid and I enjoyed it, but don't remember much about it, so I'm starting over.

9. Your choice.

The Book of Joe by Jonathan Tropper (audiobook finished 3/17)

Break No Bones by Kathy Reichs (started 3/29 finished 3/31)

message 14: by Chuck (last edited Mar 13, 2012 09:58AM) (new)

Chuck | 149 comments March here already? Amazing! March's Challange:

1. Read a book that is third in a series or has a 3 in the title.

Now reading "The Pearl" by John Steinbeck . . . It takes place in the West, so does it count??? Thanks! Finished it this PM - 4/5 stars . . . Not a happy ending.

"The Women" by T.C. Boyle . . . Mr. Boyle is Irish-American!

"Liquor" by Poppy Z. Brite

After reading "The Pearl" I'll read "Liquor" by Poppy Z. Brite. Starting "Liquor" this afternoon.

9. Your choice.
Finished reading "Triptych" by Karin Slaughter

message 15: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 149 comments Finished "Triptych" by Karin Slaughter, Book 1 of the Will Trent/Atlanta series 3/5 stars . Thought "11/22/63" by Stephen King was next but because we're traveling next week I don't want to bring a bulky heavy book. Instead I'm reading "The Pearl" by John Steinbeck and I'll bring along "Liquor" by Poppy Z. Brite.

message 16: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 149 comments Chuck wrote: "Finished "Triptych" by Karin Slaughter, Book 1 of the Will Trent/Atlanta series 3/5 stars . Thought "11/22/63" by Stephen King was next but because we're traveling next week I don't want to bring a..."

"Liquor?" Written by Poppy Z. Brite??? "New Orleans natives Rickey and G-man are lifetime friends and down-and-out line cooks desperate to make a quick buck. When Rickey concocts the idea of opening a restaurant in their alcohol-loving hometown where every dish packs a spirited punch, they know they’re on their way to the bank. With some wheeling and dealing, a slew of great recipes, and a few lucky breaks, Rickey and G-man are soon on their way to opening Liquor, their very own restaurant. But 1st they need to pacify a local crank who doesn’t want to see his neighborhood disturbed, sidestep Rickey’s deranged ex-boss, rein in their big-mouth silent partner before he runs amok, and stay afloat in a stew of corruption in a town well known for its bottom feeders."

message 17: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 89 comments Finished "Good Christian Bitches" today. I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5. Premise is hilarious but it felt like the author was in a rush to finish the book. Would have liked it to be longer, I'm thinking I'll like the TV show better because it will draw out the storyline.

message 18: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 47 comments I have my first two for the month! Well, neither was especially long :)

1. Undead and Unappreciated by MaryJanice Davidson
Rating: 3 stars
Review: I enjoyed this one. An easy, quick and humorous read. The characters and story lines are beginning to develop more and get more depth, the funny bits are still goofy and the writing style is maturing.

N.B. This book still has mature content, intended for 18+.

2. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Rating: 5 stars
Review: What a well written, powerful book. And to an extent I think, a warning about how easy it can be to fall into certain mindsets.

This is a book that sucks you in, holds you there and then takes you on an emotional roller coaster ride that has you feeling things you really shouldn't. More than once I found myself happy that someone had died and then caught myself at it and thought "Jeez, I shouldn't be happy about this." It didn't change the fact that I was though.

It's also interesting that honestly, the protagonist isn't really a likeable character. She just doesn't have a lot of those "nice" qualities that author's usually give characters they want you to get behind. And yet somehow, I remained on Katniss' side, wanting her to overcome somehow.

Collins makes you believe and feel every paragraph, every word. Whether or not you agree, whether or not you are horrified, whether or not you want to continue, you still have to read to the end to see what happens.

message 19: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 89 comments I will definitely post a picture. We get to go pick him out in the next couple of weeks, so maybe I'll have a picture up next week.

message 20: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 47 comments Yes, I will certainly read the others. I am not reading them right away as with challenges I kind of have my books for the month picked out. Also I sort of want to savor the first one a little longer before seeing what comes next.

message 21: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 47 comments 3. The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
Rating: 4 stars
Review: Somehow I did not realize there was such a controversy surrounding these books. Obviously there are a lot of religious themes being discussed, some allegorically, some openly. I did not come on Goodreads to discuss religion however. What I will say is this: If children have been raised to be open, critical thinkers then no one should be afraid to place any book in their hands.

That said, this is a great fantasy tale. There's enough of the familiar mixed with enough of the unfamiliar to make the world seem to be here and alien all at once. There's danger and intrigue and narrow escapes, long journeys made to distant lands where great tasks must be accomplished and obstacles overcome.

Lyra is a likeable little heroine. Innocent in some respects, worldly in others, always willing to take on the next adventure to reach her goals. The supporting characters are well drawn and fleshed out, becoming an integral part of the story.

The writing style is rich and complex and commands the reader's attention. Pullman can paint portraits with words and the scenery is described in vivid detail. Add to this a tight, page turning plot and it's a very solid read.

message 22: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 47 comments 4. Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Rating: 3 stars
Review: This is not a genre that I usually read so my rating might be lower than someone who reads more horror books. But I did enjoy this; it was a good blend of creepy/scary without being so over the top that I wanted to put it down and never pick it up again. I genuinely wanted to see the outcome and it was a quick read. The style might not be for everyone but I thought it stuck a good balance between suspense and horror.

N.B. There is some swearing in this book.

message 23: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 47 comments @Manda: It would have if the ghost had been a random ghost (especially as I used to buy a fair amount of stuff off ebay a couple of years ago!) but specifically targeted vengeful ghosts I can deal with lol :) Besides, having started it it would have been much worse for me not to know what happened, my imagination would have made things far worse.

message 24: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 47 comments 5. The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths
Review: This was a well crafted mystery story. The plot engaged me from the start, the characters are far more three dimensional than you sometimes get in books like this and I liked that the main character (Dr. Ruth Galloway) is an archeologist, something that I don't believe had been done in this genre before.

The author's style draws you in and keeps you reading and the descriptions of the setting (the saltmarsh around Norfolk) were very well done. I could picture the scenes in my mind clearly. The right amount of intrigue, suspense and mystery combine for an entertaining, quick read.

I will be continuing along with the series.

message 25: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 47 comments I need another series like a hole in the head, but the one I just read was too good not to continue.

@Manda: What did you think of Spring Snow? It sounded interesting.

message 26: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 47 comments 6. One for the Money by Janet Evanovich
Review: I am glad that I finally got to read where it all began and I wasn't disappointed. The book is a fast paced quick read that sometimes has you chuckling to yourself. It's witty, well written and the plot is engaging. Stephanie Plum is such a fun, no nonsense type of character, always getting into jams and managing to get out of them. Definitely worth checking out.

message 27: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 89 comments Tatum wrote: "6. One for the Money by Janet Evanovich
Review: I am glad that I finally got to read where it all began and I wasn't disappointed. The book is a fast paced..."

Did you see the movie? I've been reading these novels for years, and I think I was one of the few who wasn't disappointed in the movie.

message 28: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 89 comments I have been wanting to read Elmore Leonards Raylan Given's books for a while. And I'll be the first one to say that they aren't your typical cowboy westerns.

In Pronto, Raylan Givens is trying to save the life of a man the FBI sort of accidently set up to get whacked by the mob. I found the whole idea of a cowboy - complete with 10 gallon cowboy hat on his head at (almost) all time in South Beach miami quite amusing. When Harry flees the country trying to save his neck, he goes to the one place from his past that he is pretty sure no one knows about.

Except that when Harry drinks he gets a pretty big mouth, and EVERYONE knows where he has gone. So Raylan travels across the world to Italy to try to bring Harry home and save his life.

A good story, I am already a big fan of Raylan Givens because I've been watching Justified since it's been on TV, but I would have liked a little more back story within this story. 3.5/5

message 29: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 47 comments Kristy wrote: Did you see the movie? I've been reading these novels for years, and I think I was one of the few who wasn't disappointed in the movie.

I didn't though I will most likely see it on DVD. We don't usually go to movies unless the whole family can go.

message 30: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 89 comments I was the first movie my Saturday morning movie club went to! It's a fun movie and Ranger is delicious!

message 31: by Sheila (new)

Kristy wrote: "I was the first movie my Saturday morning movie club went to! It's a fun movie and Ranger is delicious!"

I did see the movie. I thought they did a good job but they made Stephanie too kick-ass in the movie. She never had bullets in the gun. Grandma and Stephanie's parents were perfectly cast.

message 32: by Sheila (new)

Just finished The Hunger Games for the second time. Just as good as I remembered but I did forget some things. Going to read Catching Fire and Mockingjay before the movie comes out on the 23rd. I am so looking forward to it.

message 33: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 89 comments Finished Cupcakes, Sales and Cocktails. I did not realize this was the second in a series, but I'm not sure it would have made me like it anymore had I read the first one.

The whole book was a fast read, took me about 45 minutes, most of which was under the dryer at my hair appointment. Super fast read, totally forgettable.

1/5 stars.

message 34: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 89 comments Sheila wrote: "Kristy wrote: "I was the first movie my Saturday morning movie club went to! It's a fun movie and Ranger is delicious!"

I did see the movie. I thought they did a good job but they made Stephani..."

I agree that Stephanie was a little too bad-ass in the movie, but they had to make it good as a stand-alone movie, for those who haven't read the books.

I will say this, I don't typically like Kathryn Heigel, but she WAS Stephanie. and I didn't like the casting of Debbie Reynolds as Granda Mazur, but I thought she did fabulously in the role as well.

I hope they make more of them, but I think they need to re-cast Morelli and Connie they were just awful.

message 35: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 89 comments Finished up my min pin book. Been cleaning and killing time this afternoon so I've been doing a lot of reading today.

I feel pretty ready to be a responsible Min Pin owner. It's nice to read about the particular quirks of a breed before you make up your mind about a pet.

Well written, which is totally weird to say about this kind of book. But it covers EVERYTHING. There's even a couple of pages about the loss of a pet and remembering the good times together. I thought that was a pretty cool addition because I think that's the one thing that potential pet owners don't think of. Especially if it's for a kid!

gotta go with a 5/5 I would recommend a Barron's pet owners manual to anyone buying a dog

message 36: by Sheila (new)

Kristy wrote: "Sheila wrote: "Kristy wrote: "I was the first movie my Saturday morning movie club went to! It's a fun movie and Ranger is delicious!"

I did see the movie. I thought they did a good job but they ..."

Jason O'Mara was okay but he just did not look Italian enough to play Morelli so he was definitely not my first choice. For me Connie looked and acted like that actress, whoever she was. I thought Debbie Reynolds did fine as Grandma Mazur but she has a bigger role in the books than she did the movie. Every book has Grandma going to a funeral and wanting to get there early for a good seat and that was totally left out in the movie.

message 37: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 47 comments 7. When God Was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman
Rating: 1 star
Review: I don't even know where to begin. I was going to try to write the review without spoilers but I'm not sure if I can. Let's start off by saying this was a Book Club read. Had it not been I would gladly have abandoned it several times but since it was, I slogged on always hoping it would get better. It didn't. It got worse.

This book is told through memories, sometimes fragmented, sometimes perhaps flawed, certainly using too many pronouns that leave you guessing who the narrator is referring to and all just disjointed views into the past life of Elly, the protagonist. Imagine if scenes from a book were playing out in front of you with a strobe light flashing on and off, one moment illuminating the next plunging everything into darkness. Now imagine that these are scenes playing out on several stages but you only get to see one at a time and that you are watching a speed frame of 30+ years. There you go, that's the narration style.

Then there are the actual events. Everything that could be bad or different or cliche or you name it happens to the protagonist or her family/limited circle of acquaintance. Everything. Like a really bad soap opera. Only in soap operas they hit you over the head with things and explain the entire plot ad infinitum. Not in this book. No, here we are given all these pieces and allusions and the occasional blatant reference and then cast away in more ramblings. There are so many things crammed into this book (which isn't that long, but seems to go on forever) that the author can't possibly deal with them all, not that she appears to try. There are more things left hanging, not explained, half explored, not resolved...

People have said it's an honest portrayal of life growing up... if the above paragraph isn't enough to dissuade you that it probably isn't, I happen to have grown up in this era. I am approximately the same age as the protagonist and I actually grew up in a pretty liberal thinking family. And no, it isn't. The way she deals with certain issues are far more 90s than 70s. People just did not talk that way, react that way, deal with things in that fashion. Didn't happen. So maybe she was supposed to come from the most unique family ever, I don't know. But don't portray it like everyday life please.

I can't think of the last time a book has annoyed me more. And because I must rant somewhere about some part of the book at least, here is my spoiler: (view spoiler)

message 38: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 47 comments I will see both One for the Money and The Hunger Games once they are out on DVD most likely. I suppose we might go to The Hunger Games in theater, but hubby has no idea of the books and doesn't read, so I don't know how enthusiastic he'd be. My son is going with his friends.

message 39: by Sheila (new)

Tatum wrote: "7. When God Was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman
Review: I don't even know where to begin. I was going to try to write the review without spoilers but I'm not..."

Thanks for the warning!

message 40: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 47 comments I don't know why I often have troubles writing a lot about books I really enjoy and yet can rant on forever about ones I don't, but there you have it.

message 41: by Sheila (new)

I think it's easy to talk about the bad ones because you see what's wrong. The good ones you don't want to give away the plot lines so you're more careful with what you say.

message 42: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 89 comments Tatum wrote: "7. When God Was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman
Review: I don't even know where to begin. I was going to try to write the review without spoilers but I'm not..."

Well you sure convinced me not to read it! I know how you feel though, I hate reading books where it feels like the writer has been working a bit too hard to make their book feel very important. Glad you made it through it, now read something you know you will enjoy as a reward!

message 43: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 47 comments Manda... it's rare that I trash anything like that, let alone a book, but I had to, I really did!

Pure sounds really interesting. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you have to say when you're done.

A book parcel! That sounds great :) I think the biggest book parcel I've ever gotten was three at once delivered by Amazon which was still exciting. And that's a wonderful price you get too, I have a feeling that if I lived in the UK I would be getting lots of book parcels, probably too many!

message 44: by Sheila (new)

Pure does sound good. Let us know how you like it. I love getting packages in the mail, mostly because I've forgotten I ordered stuff. It's like Christmas!

message 45: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 149 comments Just back from the Tucson Festival of Books - Listened to and met T.C, Boyle, Richard Russo, T. Jefferson Parker, Larry McMurtry. Wasn't able to get into the main hallroom for the Elmore Leonard presentation.

On the way to Tucson and back home, listening to the audio book THE WOMEN by T.C. Boyle - While in Prescott and Tucson visiting friends I read LIQUOR by Poppy Z. Brite and currently reading SANDSTORM by James Rollins.

message 46: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 47 comments Oh Manda, that's disappointing to hear. So maybe one of those books that if you see at the library get it but do not pay retail? That's the idea I am getting from your post.

message 47: by Sheila (new)

Chuck wrote: "Just back from the Tucson Festival of Books - Listened to and met T.C, Boyle, Richard Russo, T. Jefferson Parker, Larry McMurtry. Wasn't able to get into the main hallroom for the Elmore Leonard pr..."

That sounds like fun. I love James Rollins writing. I have several of his books I have to read.

message 48: by Sheila (new)

Manda wrote: "OMG - i'm getting side tracked again!!! Good job you're not dishing out points Sheila for sticking to the original challenge list like some groups do here! lol

Have just agreed to read with anot..."

I'd be in trouble on the sidetracking. I'm always side tracked. I just want everyone to have fun and read.

message 49: by Sheila (new)

Rebecca is fantastic! Better than the movie and the movie does a good job following the book.

message 50: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 149 comments Finished "The Women" by T.C. Boyle - 4/5 stars. Surprise twist at the end and the scene at the end with Miriam sums everything up. If you are a T.C. Boyle fan you'll enjoy this read - if not, give it a try.

« previous 1