Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The Remains of the Day
This topic is about The Remains of the Day
Book Issues > ISBN10 and ISBN13 assigned to different books

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Catherine (catherine_ariah) | 19 comments The english Faber edition of The Remains of the Day has only a 10-digit ISBN entered (0571154913).

Using the ISBN converter I got a 13-digit ISBN of 9780571154913, however when I tried to enter this I discovered that this ISBN is already assigned to a spanish edition here: remains of the day

I can verify that the ISBN is correct for the English edition.

Two questions:
Firstly, is it correct that the same ISBN has been used for the Spanish edition?
Secondly, if so, should I leave the entries as they are, or assign both the 10 digit and 13 digit ISBNs to one edition and treat the other as an alternate cover version?

Thanks for any help on this.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42499 comments Mod
It looks like at some point we imported the ISBN13 with the title "Remains of the Day (Spanish Edition)". However, I can find no evidence that there actually exists an edition in Spanish with that ISBN (and it seems unlikely).

So my suggestion is to separate the two editions out from the rest, copy all the information you wish to save to one edition (but don't save yet), delete the other (you may need a superlibrarian for this step), and then save the one you've copied the info to. It should then have both ISBN10 and ISBN13.

Then combine back with the other editions.

Catherine (catherine_ariah) | 19 comments Many thanks. I've got as far as separating the two editions, but it looks like I need help with deleting one of them ... going to request that in the relevant thread now.

Catherine (catherine_ariah) | 19 comments Fixed now - thank you.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42499 comments Mod
:)