Anglicans discussion

General > Look at our bookshelves!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. Anyone in the group can add books to our bookshelves, so please feel free to add books. Skylar set up some new book shelves for us with some great books on, also I have been adding some on the "to read" shelf.

message 2: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. I added a few new non fiction books that I'd love to read. How about others do the same. Please do add books to our shelves. :-)

Thanks,
Karen

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris Hall | 5 comments Mod
Added one today!

Not quite sure how the system works or what all the boxes were for, but hey, it's up there.

message 4: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. Thanks Chris! No problem about the system...not sure myself what category some books are :)

Hey, by the way, welcome to the group! So glad to have you with us. Share a little about yourself. If you want to learn about others in the group all our stories are on the "Introductions" in the discussions.

Blessings,
Karen

message 5: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. Hi Lacey and others!

I added a lot of fun fiction books to our shelves by authors such as Barbara Pym, Jan Karon and Dorothy Sayers. A lot of them are mysteries. Check them out. If anyone wants to add more books to our shelves any group member can add them. Have fun!

message 6: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. I have added some books for Lent on our "Lenten Readings," shelf. Please if you know of any other good Lenten books, feel free to add them to our shelves.

message 7: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 5 comments I'll try to add some books; I'm not sure exactly how it works.

message 8: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. Hi Lacey,

On our Group main page scroll down to our bookshelf and click on the heading,"bookshelf," then on the page that opens click in the search, "add book." You can type in an author or book title. Hope this helps :) Let me know if you have any trouble with posting books.

Blessings,
Karen

message 9: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. Yay Lacey! You added "Girl Meets God:A Memoir"! I already added it to my "to read" list. It sounds very interesting. Thanks for adding to our book shelf :)

message 10: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. I am adding some books to our group book shelves. I'd love company if anyone thinks they would like to read any of them with me. One is Son of Hamas and the other is
Flirting with Faith: My Spiritual Journey from Atheism to a Faith-Filled Life
by Joan Ball. Perhaps one of them might appeal enough to be a future group book to read together and discuss?

message 11: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. Here is the link to Son of Hamas
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/77...

message 12: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. I found this on the net today and thought others in the group would like this list. I found it here on the homepage for "Christian Classics Ethereal Library"
http://www.ccel.org/

St. Augustine
The Confessions of St. Augustine -...

John Bunyan
Pilgrim's Progress -- A spiritual allegory. Of books written in English, one of the all-time most popular. Audio available

G. K. Chesterton
Orthodoxy -- Chesterton's writing reminds me of C.S. Lewis, but a little more colorful, a little more quirky. This book is an apology for the Christian world-view.

Jonathan Edwards
Religious Affections -- "What is the nature of true religion? . . .

George Fox
Autobiography of George Fox -- This is a fascinating journal of the exploits of the founder of the Society of Friends (Quakers). It is also very illuminating about the political and religious state of seventeenth century England -...

St. Ignatius of Loyola
The Spiritual Exercises Spiritual exercises arranged into 4 weeks, by the founder of the Jesuits. Audio available

St. John of the Cross
Ascent of Mount Carmel
Dark Night of the Soul -- The writings of St. John of the Cross are unsurpassed for mystical theology. The "dark night" is a must-read for anyone seriously concerned about growing spiritually.

Thomas à Kempis
The Imitation of Christ -- ... This little devotional book is simply written but immensely moving. Highly recommended. Audio available

William Law
A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life -- This is one of two or three books that greatly influenced the young J. Wesley. Audio available

Brother Lawrence
The Practice of the Presence of God -- In this little collection of letters and reflections, Brother Lawrence encourages us to be continually in God's presence. Audio available

message 13: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. Thanks to Elaine and any other members who have recently added books to our bookshelves! Keep them coming. It is so fun to explore new books!

message 14: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (hottoddie) Karen L. wrote: "Thanks to Elaine and any other members who have recently added books to our bookshelves! Keep them coming. It is so fun to explore new books!"

thanks Karen, the Dave Adams books are what got me interested in celtic Christianity years ago. Hes written loads of books but these two are the best in my opinion. Hes an Anglical priest who before he retired had the Lindisfarne parish in England[the Holy Island where Christianity in England spread from]
His book Eye of the Eagle is a meditation on the hymn"be though my vision" It occurred to me it would be a great start to the new year to read it as to make God our vision,/most important in our life surely is the best way to start any year. If anyone agrees and wants to read it with me please let me know

message 15: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. Just got this book from Amazon and added it tour Anglican group bookshelf. Monk Habits for Everyday People

message 16: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. Here is a new book on our bookshelves under, "Anglican" :
Oh Love How Deep

message 17: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. Sorry, for some reason (perhaps my typing) the above link didn't work. Try this one.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14...

message 18: by Charity (new)

Charity Thanks, Karen! I hope I can download some. I am running low on real books over here!