Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Etcetera > How do you log "owned" books?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments I'm trying to decide where to log the books I own so that when they come up in a series to be read, I know whether I own it or have to go outside for it. I know FictFact has a mechanism, and of course I could create a bookshelf here on GR of "owned" books.

What do others do if you keep track of owned books? (Barry, I know what you do since you have been kind enough to share your list on GoogleDocs.)

message 2: by Ann (last edited Feb 25, 2012 10:19AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Carol: I keep them in an Excel spreadsheet, though I have not updated it with Kindle books since I have so many that were free it is a large task to update those; I add the Kindle books after I read one. I have a backup hard back book - a blank ruled page journal that I have been logging my books in since 1998. I am going back around on the reverse sides of the pages now. ;)

message 3: by Ann (last edited Feb 25, 2012 10:22AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments And someday I am going to get a Google docs account so I can look at Barry's spreadsheet. I am curious but haven't done it yet. (procrastination [proh-kras-tuh-ney-shuhn] noun
the act or habit of procrastinating, or putting off or delaying, especially something requiring immediate attention.)

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1598 comments Carol, I have a spreadsheet on Excel too. The HR person in me is kind of organized ;) I wish I could explain it easily. It's by author, and then I list all the books in the series. If I've read the book, I highlight it in green (and also note the date read and my rating). If I have the book in my TBR pile, I highlight it grey. If I have it on my wishlist on PBS, I highlight it yellow and then change it to grey when I get it. It did take a long time to set up, but now I just add the new books as they become available. If you have Excel, I can send you a sample page if that will help ;)

message 5: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2943 comments Ann, Google no longer requires a google account, all I need is an email address to link my account to.

message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3589 comments I'm pretty bad about logging my "owned" books since I keep so few of them any more. I have LOTS of unread books all over the house it seems, but about the only tracking I have for them is the TBR here on GR and I don't have NEARLY all of them listed here!

message 7: by Shomeret (last edited Feb 25, 2012 07:06PM) (new)

Shomeret | 1364 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I'm trying to decide where to log the books I own so that when they come up in a series to be read, I know whether I own it or have to go outside for it. I know FictFact has a mechanism, and of co..."

You could simply create new shelf here on Goodreads and call it "Owned Books". If you haven't read them yet, they would also go on the "To Read" shelf. If you have read them, they would also go on the "Read" shelf. The way you create a new shelf is click on My Books and there will be an edit shelves link at the top on the left. Click on that and then scroll down to the bottom of the page where there's a box where you can just type in the name of any new shelf you want to create.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Thanks, Barry! I got the access! I like how you keep up with your page counts - very organized!
Barry wrote: "Ann, Google no longer requires a google account, all I need is an email address to link my account to."

message 9: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments Shom, I did go on and create shelves for my owned books. I made them exclusive with the idea of moving them to my "read" shelf once done. Since I have books in three different locations in my house I made a shelf for each.

I could figure out how to get to my shelves when I didn't label them exclusive, they didn't show up on any lists. I must have done something wrong. However, the way I set them up is the way I want them so that's fine.