Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Adding "digital gamebooks" to goodreads

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brewin (new)

Brewin Brewin | 2 comments Hi there,

I write under the name of "Brewin" and I've just uploaded the details for all versions of my two novels (I think I did this correctly, but I did need to send a request to merge my account with the author for these titles)...

But my reason for this post is that I am also the author of a "digital gamebook"; the eighth in the "Gamebook Adventures" series; which I am unsure about how I should upload. Although it is a gamebook (choose-your-own-adventure style book with dice and a character sheet like the Fighting Fantasy series for example) like other titles already listed here, it is currently only available through the Apple App Store for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad and hence has no ISBN (at least that I am aware of).

So my questions are:
* Are these Gamebook Adventures titles even eligible to be on goodreads? (I believe they should be)
* If so, do I just upload as many details as I can for these titles, and leave the remainder blank? (Blank fields would be: ISBN, number of pages and edition?)
* Given it's technically not an "ebook" in that it also incorporates "game elements" such as dice rolling, do I list its format as "other" and then specify something like "digital gamebook" ?
* Do I treat the iPhone and iPad versions as distinct editions? (and if so, how do I distinguish the versions in terms of the information I enter?)

If it helps, here's a link to the Gamebook Adventures series and explaining what they are:
http://gamebookadventures.com/gamebooks/

Thanks in advance for your help!
Brewin (real name Andrew Drage)

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23767 comments Andrew, they certainly should be entered into the db.

I would treat them the same as an ebook. Regardless of the game part, it is published the same as an ebook. I wouldn't worry about trying to do different editions for iPhone and iPad if at the moment there are no distinguishing features, ie ISBNs etc.

Just put as much information as you've got.

Re: the claiming authorship - at the bottom of the author page there is a link "is this you" you need to click there to start the ball rolling, if you haven't already.

message 3: by Brewin (new)

Brewin Brewin | 2 comments Thanks Sandra, I'll follow your advice and just enter them as ebooks (and under one edition for each). I'll enter all the information I have on the available eight titles (which is probably all the information there is) and notify the publisher to check in case I've missed anything... Maybe not until tomorrow though

And yeah, I clicked on the "is this you" link and sent an explanation, so I guess that'll get sorted soon :)

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23767 comments Excellent :)