Harlequin Presents Readers discussion

Archive > If I May Be So Bold...Review Please!

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (last edited Feb 24, 2012 09:54PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 2280 comments Mod
I was noticing that very few Harlequin books have reviews written for them. I know there are many great girls on this group who do religiously post reviews, and I know they are appreciated by the HQN reading community. I think it would be great if the members of our HP community undertook the endeavor of posting at least a short review for those HQN books that we read, but have not been reviewed or are underreviewed. My opinion is that even if we don't always agree on what we like about a book, it is so helpful to read a review and get some idea of how the reader felt about the book, even if they liked things about it that we know we won't like, and vice versa.

I don't mean to be arrogant or pushy at all. If you're not at all interested, feel free to ignore the request, and no harm done. I hope that you'll think it over and consider taking up the review-writing cause. Nothing fancy. Just a few sentences or maybe even one.

Thanks!

message 2: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully | 56 comments I know I've been very bad about posting reviews this year. I'll try to post a few!

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Thanks, Scully. I appreciate your reviews!

message 4: by Lemon (new)

Lemon | 801 comments Mod
I will try to do so when inspiration hits, Lady D. Been meaning to do a review for another one of my favorites by Helen Brooks which means I would have to reread it. Hm . . . maybe I'll select her for my favorite author challenge : ).

message 5: by Lemon (new)

Lemon | 801 comments Mod
Oh, and would this be the right place to petition Lisa Kay for more HP reviews? Lisa Kay, more multi-media interactive HP reviews, please!

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

I second that!

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Lululemon wrote: "I will try to do so when inspiration hits, Lady D. Been meaning to do a review for another one of my favorites by Helen Brooks which means I would have to reread it. Hm . . . maybe I'll select he..."

Thanks. I like seeing your thought processes as to why you liked or disliked a book. I find them helpful.

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateperegrinate) If I really love or dislike a book, I'm try to write a short review (usually just a couple of sentences - I'm not very loquacious in the written form). It's those times that I finish a book and think, "Well, that was totally a run-of-the-mill Harlequin Presents," that I have a hard time writing a review.

message 9: by Lemon (new)

Lemon | 801 comments Mod
Yeah, same here. I have to really love a book or be really, really incensed by it to be inspired enough to write something, which is why you will only ever see me really love a book or really really hate a book. The ones in between just get forgotten really quickly. :P

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (last edited Feb 25, 2012 10:33PM) (new)

Again, no pressure. Honestly though, even a sentence of, 'This one was just okay,' or 'This one didn't blow me away but it wasn't bad.' is better than no review.

I know that everyone has their own thing going on. I set a personal challenge to review every book I read. Sometimes I have a lot to say, sometimes not so much. It challenges me as a writer to have to write about anything, so it's good practice writing reviews.

message 11: by Verity (new)

Verity | 567 comments I luv reading reviews more than writing 'em. I'm guilty of all charges, too lazy to comment on mediocre ones but I will try to write @ least 3 - 10 sentences just to remind myself why it worked / didn't leave any impression on me, instead of popping in & outta here to update my "read" shelf ;^{B

methinks there's somefink wrong w/ my GR settings, I haven't got any feeds for over a week now, so I dunno if I clicked on somefink in error but I know I nevah unsubscribed the email updates =^(

message 12: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Verity, I think there is some sort of glitch going on, because I haven't been getting as many notifications.

Again, I didn't mean to make this sound like a handslap to you girls. It's more of a cheering you on to write reviews sort of thread.

message 13: by Lemon (last edited Feb 25, 2012 10:45PM) (new)

Lemon | 801 comments Mod
Verity, I always look forward to your awesome reviews. I always get a good laugh out of them
: ).

message 14: by Verity (new)

Verity | 567 comments Duncha worry, no offense taken, D, it's actually a gr8 idea, cuz I often had to scramble for book description on otha sites just to check out what it's all about when GR doesn't have any blurbs / reviews. My problem is my problematic extension, sometimes once I start typing, my fingers fly away like there's no tomorrow, it's like adrenaline rush just from venting away hehe

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

I can imagine it does take energy to write your reviews, V. They are so vibrant. I love that about them!

message 16: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 244 comments Lululemon wrote: "Oh, and would this be the right place to petition Lisa Kay for more HP reviews? Lisa Kay, more multi-media interactive HP reviews, please!"

**blushes** Thank you, ladies! I enjoyed doing that. We'll see which one I pick up next.

message 17: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 244 comments I have been depending on the reviews you ladies have posted to help me reach my goal of 24 HPs this year. Just so you know, they are appreciated!

message 18: by Lisa Kay (last edited Feb 26, 2012 08:18AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 244 comments Yes, V! Love your reviews. They almost always make me LOL long and hard.

message 19: by Verity (new)

Verity | 567 comments Thanx, chickies. Pls 4give my grammatical & spelling blunders, too many boo-boos, but I hope my short-hand & rant came across readable & not too taxing on eyeballs haha

Lisa Kay's reviews R firecrackers worthy. I luv your colorful pics & eloquent reviews, LK ! B^{D

message 20: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 244 comments Gheez... talk about boo-boos! I made a couple in my post. Sorry.

I like the way your reviews read, V. It is fun to figure them out - and I'm not too dense to get them, LOL!

message 21: by Lisa Kay (last edited Feb 26, 2012 08:22AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 244 comments I like finding pics. Every once in a while I hit pay dirt. Remember that machine-gun toting chipmunk I found for you, V? That was one of your funniest reviews, and I couldn't believe I found that one.

message 22: by Verity (new)

Verity | 567 comments Yezzz ! So far I haven't found any book that could top that Awe-inspiring death by chipmunk. It's a timeless classic shipwreck. And w/ the precious pic U found - chipmunk channeling Rambo - is like the cherry on top bwaaahahaha

message 23: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

I like that all our reviews have a distinct voice. One of the things I love best about GRs is reading other people's reviews.

That's why I'm hitting your girls up to write more! :)

message 24: by Jacqueline J (last edited Feb 27, 2012 10:10PM) (new)

Jacqueline J | 266 comments My notices have been coming late. But I wanted to comment here that I'm pretty anal about reviewing everything I read. My husband sits behind me playing computer games and he'll occasionally ask me what I'm doing. Like he doesn't know the answer is going to be 'writing a review.' I have read some articles on how book reviewing is becoming recognized as a legitimate hobby. I don't know if my reviews do anyone else any good but I like to be able to look up a book or author to see if I've read it before or if I have read any books by a particular author so I'll know if I want to take a chance on another book by them.

There are some books that I've just listed with stars but they are all from books I've read before I started here on GRs and I either haven't had a chance to review them or I don't really remember them well enough to write a thoughtful review, just remember whether I liked them or not.

I was trying to convince my 12 year old son to keep up with at least listing the books he reads here on GR. I was telling him that I wish I had a record of everything I've read since I started devouring books 40 years ago when I was 10. Wow how cool would that be? I have nearly always had a book in my hand for the last 40 years. When I was first getting my drivers license when I was 18, I couldn't even find my way around my own home town because I had never actually looked out the window of the car while on route to anywhere. I always tell the boys never leave the house without a book. What if the car breaks down and we have to sit beside the road and wait for help?

message 25: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

I think your reviews are very good, and I find them helpful, Jacqueline. I have some books I read a long time ago, and I don't feel that I remember the details well enough to write reviews. But for every book I read now, I do write a review (for the past three years).

Like you, I wish I could remember all the books I read too. I'm sure I've read at least five thousand books in my lifetime. I don't think I've gone more than a week without reading a book in my life, since I was a very young girl. I'm the same way about always having a book handy wherever I go.

message 26: by Lemon (new)

Lemon | 801 comments Mod
I find your reviews helpful too, Jacqueline, and I find I tend to agree with them.

message 27: by Aruana (new)

Aruana | 248 comments I'm looking for a review for two Melanie Millburne books I seem to have missed and I can't find it in South Africa - or rather, in hardback, but it's waaayyy too expensive.

The Marcolini Blackmail Marriage (Marcolini Men, #1)

Bound by the Marcolini Diamonds (Marcolini Men, #2)

Is it any good?