Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) Graceling question

Any books similar to this one?
msprongs msprongs Feb 24, 2012 08:05PM
I really loved this book, and I haven't had any luck finding amazing books to read since I finished it. Do you know any books similar to it- or just your favorite books in general?

The Hunger games

Carole (last edited Feb 28, 2012 07:29AM ) Feb 28, 2012 07:22AM   0 votes
I enjoyed Finnikin & the rock - sequel Froi of the exiles. Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1) by Melina Marchetta Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2) by Melina Marchetta
Rae Carson The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1) by Rae Carson and Malinda Lo Huntress Huntress by Malinda Lo

oh read the Vampire Academy, Hush hush series, and the Night world series oh and the hunger game!!! you'll not be dissapointed by any of these series!

Books I would recommend are as Melissa said earlier the Abhorsen series and The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley, fabulous books. Also possibly try the Tamora Peirce quartets Song of the Lioness, and Immortals. Both are my favorites of her many quartets.

Erm...I think you WILL be disappointed with the Hush Hush series, that's more a book to suggest to a Twilight fan.

The Hunger Games is a very well written series though that follows this well despite being a dystopic thriller instead of fantasy.

If you're looking for another high fantasy story though I would say Eragon isn't bad though it IS extremely long-winded.

Fire, touted as a prequel, I actually did not like as well as Graceling or think it had the same feel. Something that drew me in as quickly were the several series of books about Fitz (a guy, not a girl, but still a character to get into) starting with

Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1) by Robin Hobb and the two books about Menolly Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey ; and Dragonsinger by Anne McCaffrey and entire series by author Dawn Cook starting with First Truth (Truth, #1) by Dawn Cook and another with The Decoy Princess (Princess, #1) by Dawn Cook (Ms. Cook's less intense, lighter reads than Graceling but as engrossing)

Bitterblue (The Seven Kingdoms, #3) by Kristin Cashore , is also by Graceling author, set in that world, due out in May 2012, available for pre-order, and I have preordered but have no clue about it. Graceling is a 5-star read for me and Fire was disappointing to say the least.

Bitterblue will be available on May 1st 2012. I have been anxiously awaiting this book as I loved Graceling and Fire.

have your read its prequel?
Fire (The Seven Kingdoms, #2) by Kristin Cashore
also a really great series is A Song of Ice and Fire.
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin
A Game of Thrones is the first one.
You could also try Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken
Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken

I read the bookA Great and Terrible Beauty which I loved!!!!! I actually met the author and she was very fun to talk to. It's such a great series! Check it out!

Have you read Lord of the Rings or Vaalbara: Visions and Shadows? They have the same adventure, natural and fantasy setting.

I got a similar with Maria V. Snyder's Glass series, tho I would highly suggest starting with her Study series, as it both predates and I fell outshines her later glass books. Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder

★Ruth★ I felt the Study series was very similar & definitely agree if you liked Graceling you'll love this ...more
Mar 31, 2012 02:01PM · flag

Although not entirely similar, I would recommend the Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix. The main characters both struggle with controlling the dark powers they have been endowed with, all in order to bring a sort of equilibrium to the worlds in which they live. If you end up checking out this series, Sabriel is the first book in the series. I highly recommend them!

hmmm..do supposibly there is suppose to be another book called Bitterblue..but idk when it comes out

Try the Eon/Eona books by Allison Goodman or the Bartimeaus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud.

Melissa Sodano I agree with you. Those books are all good.
Mar 07, 2012 08:56PM · flag

I second the recommendation for The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson. Also try the Seven Realms series by Cinda Williams Chima (book #1 is The Demon King). These keep in line with the fantasy atmosphere vs. the dystopian Hunger Games & Divergent.

Wonderly (last edited Mar 13, 2012 12:56PM ) Mar 13, 2012 12:55PM   -1 votes
Have you read any Tamora Pierce? Start out with Alanna, the first adventure. I also LOVE -- the Blue Sword by Robin McKinley (think this was mentioned in a previous comment). Also, a new sword and sorcery urban fantasy is My Boyfriend Merlin
Alanna: The First Adventure
The Blue Sword
My Boyfriend Merlin
My Boyfriend Merlin by Priya Ardis

idk if its all that similar but i really liked Divergent. :D Its one of my faves.

And this book is totally a diff genre. But its my absolute fave. Its The Book Thief by Markus Zusak