Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Book Reviews & Quotes > Quotes from our classics that stand the test of time

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Feb 24, 2012 03:26PM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2801 comments Mod
According to About.com :"The definition of a "classic" can be a hotly debated topic. Depending on what you read, or the experience of the person you question on the topic, you may receive a wide range of answers. So, what is a "classic"--in the context of books and literature?
A classic usually expresses some artistic quality.
A classic stands the test of time.
A classic has a certain universal appeal.
A classic makes connections. "

So dig through those books to find quotes that you think are classics and put them here. And while you are at it, tell us why you think the book you are reading is a classic, or why it isn't

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3405 comments Mod
from Pillars of the Earth, p. 46:

Tom realized regretfully that the building was almost finished. If he did get hired here the work would not lat more than a couple of years -- hardly enough time for him to rise to the position of master mason, let alone master builder. Nevertheless, he would take the job, if he were offered it, for winter was coming. He and his family could have survived a winter without work if they had still had the pig, but without it Tom had to get a job.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2801 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "from Pillars of the Earth, p. 46:

Tom realized regretfully that the building was almost finished. If he did get hired here the work would not lat more than a couple of years -- hardly ..."

Susan - that is one of my top 10 favorite books!. I have to get going on my classics so I can post some quotes.

message 4: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1004 comments A favorite quote from Heidi by Johanna Spyri:

God certainly knows of some happiness for us which He is going to bring out of the trouble, only we must have patience and not run away. And then all at once something happens and we see clearly ourselves that God has had some good thought in His mind all along; but because we cannot see things beforehand, and only know how dreadfully miserable we are, we think it is always going to be so.