Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Suzanne Collins
This topic is about Suzanne Collins
Series Discussions > The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Feel free to discuss the dystopian that pretty much gave the genre its big boom, The Hunger Games.

Please remember to use the spoiler tag so that you don't ruin things for other members.

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Really amazed we don't have this thread yet, it's so popular.

Any who I'm 34 pages in and loving it. (Such a relief since I thought it was all bark and no bite.)

message 3: by Jennifer D. (new)

Jennifer D. (jenpen4) I could NOT get into the first book. It took me a long time, and then I felt really underwhelmed so I stopped the series. It took me about 6 months to be convinced to go back to them and I loved the rest of the series. Such great books. I can't wait for the movie to come out!

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Wow. See I was really afriad I'd be underwhelmed becuase Shiver, Hush, Hush, Twilight, Beautiful Creatures, and a number of other really popular titles never cut it for me. (In fact, I really hate a few of those titles.)

It's such a relief to be drawn in instantly.

Did you have to reread the first book or just 2 & 3 you liked?

message 5: by Jennifer D. (new)

Jennifer D. (jenpen4) No, I remembered how the first one ended so I didn't have to re-read it. I really ended up liking the first one, it just took me so long to get into it and I wasn't nearly as in love with it as everyone else. Soon after they went to the Games though, I was hooked on that book. I really think the second one is my favorite.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Seems the second one is the fave by most.

I'm already hooked, but I just don't have enough time this weekend to junk out on it!!

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Man this books is driving me nuts. In The Hunger Games (view spoiler)

message 8: by Julianne (new)

Julianne | 143 comments I haven't read it yet but I'll be reading it very soon as I want to read it before I see the movie. Which I think I'll have to do ASAP when it comes out since two of my boys loved the books.

message 9: by Jennifer D. (new)

Jennifer D. (jenpen4) Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "Man this books is driving me nuts. In The Hunger Games..."

I know!! I was so sad when that happened. I'm pretty sure I cried.

As for the rest of it...well, you'll just have to read the story ;-)

message 10: by Nichola (new)

Nichola connor (httpgoodreadsnicconnor) | 17 comments WoW!! im just finished The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins I couldnt put it down , I did take me about 50 or so pages to get into however i stuck with it and was so glad i did,Fantastic read which almost had me crying a couple of times. So best go get stuck into book two.

message 11: by Terra (new)

Terra Harmony | 3 comments I think I read the entire three books in one week. As did my mother-in-law, as did my 12 yr old son. What is amazing is how many different types of people love this series! Can't wait for the movie and I really, really hope it doesn't disappoint. From the trailers, I don't think it will.

I also picked up Divergent because of some of it's similarities to the Hunger Games (not to change the subject) - and I liked that one just as much! I've found a new genre to love thanks to the Hunger Games!!!

message 12: by KJ18 (new)

KJ18 (kaseyjo18peace) | 63 comments i have not read the series yet but everyone is talking about it

message 13: by Christal (new)

Christal | 79 comments I've already bought my ticket to the midnight release of the movie and I'm dragging my husband with me. I loved these books! Like Terra, I got all three of these books at once and read them back to back in one week.

I liked the first one because I felt like we were introduced to the real Katniss here. The Katniss as she was before learning how to play all the games (political, romantic, etc. - not just the Hunger Games.)

I liked the second one because we were introduced to some great new characters. Beetee and Finnick were especially vivid and exciting.

I liked the third book because it provided a believable end to the series. (view spoiler)

This was a really beautifully crafted story and one that I hope to share with my children one day.

message 14: by Janey (new)

Janey | 14 comments I loved all 3 books in the series and I'm really looking forward to seeing the movie next week.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 7 comments Love the hunger games and i am actually watching the movie on dvd right know. Cant wait untill catching fire comes out!

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Hope you enjoy the movie.

message 17: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) I got this trilogy for my wife for Christmas, and of course read it myself. Then, as we so often do, we shared it with my granddaughter (who's now in basic training), who shared it with my daughter, her mother, who actually is reading it (she's not a reader).

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments These are great books for people who don't read a lot.

Glad you got your money's worth out of them.

message 19: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean I love this series. Its one of my favorites. Katniss is such a kick ass heroine. The games are described in such detail its like you're there with the characters. The plot is action packed in all books and the romance is great.