Pulp Magazine Authors and Literature Fans discussion

Specific authors/works > E. Hoffmann Price

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cthulhuwho1 (new)

Cthulhuwho1 | 33 comments As a long time fan (and friend) of the late E. Hoffmann Price (Edgar Hoffmann Trooper Price), I've decided to pay tribute to his writings by creating a Visual-Bibliography of his published works from 1924 to the present.

Since most of his writing was done for the pulps, I believe everyone here will enjoy the covers, and more, that I have begun posting on Flickr.

I've currently covered from 1924 to May of 1943, which is nearly 1000 images so far; and there are still several hundred more images that I'll soon be posting just to fill up the 1940's!

Come over and take a look some time as this collection grows decade by decade; which will include personal photos and letters too once it gets up to the 1970's and 1980's and beyond.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cthulhuw...

Your comments, and especially additional items are very welcome!

Will Hart

message 2: by Jim, Co-moderator (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 234 comments Mod
That's a very cool project. I love the old pulp covers.

message 3: by Werner (new)

Werner Will, I didn't browse many of the covers just now, but enough to see that it's a great collection. I'll definitely be back!

I'd heard of Price (I knew he was a pen pal of H. P. Lovecraft, who once visited him in New Orleans), but I've never read any of his work. I'll have to remedy that sometime!

message 4: by Cthulhuwho1 (new)

Cthulhuwho1 | 33 comments Jim wrote: "That's a very cool project. I love the old pulp covers."

Just wait a little longer, and in addition to the nearly 1000 images already uploaded, I'll have over 300 more pictures of covers and pages posted in the 1940's and 1950's sections!

message 5: by Cthulhuwho1 (new)

Cthulhuwho1 | 33 comments Werner wrote: "Will, I didn't browse many of the covers just now, but enough to see that it's a great collection. I'll definitely be back!

I'd heard of Price (I knew he was a pen pal of H. P. Lovecraft, who onc..."

Price was more of a character himself, than any I've ever met in fiction!

In the 700 or so images I still have left to upload, you'll see some of the currently available books and replicas of publications of Price stories (including kindle editions). I'll also be including personal letters to me and others; plus pages of letters from H. P. Lovecraft to E. Hoffmann Price that Price sent copies of to me.

Most readers prefer Price's fantasy tales, especially his "Oriental Fantasies," but they are hard to find, and rather expensive when you do. If I find any I can scan, I will add them to the collection.

If you ever find a deal on a copy of his books "Far Lands, Other Days (1975)," or "Strange Gateways (1967)," that are within your budget, they are worth having in your library.

message 6: by Werner (new)

Werner Will, I'll also keep those titles in mind as books to borrow by interlibrary loan. I get a pretty fair amount of good reading by that means!

message 7: by Cthulhuwho1 (new)

Cthulhuwho1 | 33 comments Werner wrote: "Will, I'll also keep those titles in mind as books to borrow by interlibrary loan. I get a pretty fair amount of good reading by that means!"

If I were to recommend only one E. Hoffmann Price book, it would have to be "Far Lands Other Days" (1975); which I see as low as $50 at Amazon right now.

And if you are enjoying the Flickr Visual-Bibliography, I've added enough scans today to bring it up to nearly 1200 images, with more to come over the next few days!

message 8: by Werner (new)

Werner Thanks for the tip, Will!

message 9: by Cthulhuwho1 (new)

Cthulhuwho1 | 33 comments Just a quick E. Hoffmann Price: A Visual-Bibliography update. The collection, broken down by decades, from the 1920's through now, currently contains over 2000 cover images and story pages; and takes a lot of time to explore. Check it out when you have loads of free time at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cthulhuw...

For those interested in just reading the writings of E. Hoffmann Price, rather than looking through all of the cover images, take a peek at the very visual links I just posted on http://CthulhuWho1.com, that will not only take you right to the first page of each of the stories in the Flickr collections, but will also provide you with a link on each of the story pages to a complete pdf file for each story too.

Happy reading!

And please let me know what you think of all of this E. Hoffmann Price craziness.

Will

message 10: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 18 comments The only Price that I've read (at least the only that I remember as Price) was the two Chinese books: The Devil Wives of Li Fong and The Jade Enchantress.

message 11: by Charles (new)

Charles (kainja) | 30 comments It's his connection to Lovecraft and Howard that first introduced me to him.

message 12: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (docpod) | 1 comments My favorite fiction by Price are the stories from ARGOSY from 1938-43. He was at the top of his game. A great collection could be created reprinting those stories in one or two books.