Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > Cover image maximum size?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Palfrey | 13 comments The only guidance I've found about the sizes of cover images is a mention somewhere that the images are within 150 × 245 pixels. So I've been cutting images down to within that size before submitting. But now I find that larger images can be seen in some cases by clicking the 150 × 245 pixel images, so apparently I should be submitting larger images. Some clearer guidelines would be useful. Presumably there is a maximum size.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Feb 23, 2012 03:21PM) (new)

rivka | 42044 comments Mod
Within certain ranges, the system will resize pictures that are too large. I am told that the optimal size is 700 x 933 and up to 20% larger.

message 3: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Palfrey | 13 comments Thanks for the quick reply.

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (goodreadscomcherylbdale) | 21 comments I'm stymied. I've been trying to upload a cover for my book coming out in March. I supposedly have librarian status but I'm new and I admit I don't know what I'm doing. I've tried putting the site from my pub on my desktop and uploading it. I've tried uploading the pub site. I've tried adding it to My Photos. What am I doing wrong?

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Cheryl, you upload it on the book's edit page. The only images I see in your "my photos" are of you profile pic, no covers.

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (goodreadscomcherylbdale) | 21 comments rivka wrote: "Cheryl, you upload it on the book's edit page. The only images I see in your "my photos" are of you profile pic, no covers."

Thanks for the quick reply, Rivka. I've tried. Believe me I've tried. Both the book edit page and also into My Photos. I have the covers on my desktop but they refuse to load. I saw the size and thought perhaps they were too small, but no, that didn't work either. What else can I try?

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

You were able to upload your avatar image. The process should be the same.

Are you getting an error message?

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (goodreadscomcherylbdale) | 21 comments rivka wrote: "You were able to upload your avatar image. The process should be the same.

Are you getting an error message?"

Not getting anything. I browse, put in the site, hit upload and...nothing. The site disappears and nothing happens.

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Site? You need to upload the image from your computer.

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (goodreadscomcherylbdale) | 21 comments rivka wrote: "Site? You need to upload the image from your computer."

Sorry. That's what I meant. I have the cover saved on my desktop and that's the info I pick up when I browse.

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

You then need to save the book, which is an option at the bottom of the book's edit page.

message 12: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (goodreadscomcherylbdale) | 21 comments Right. I browse, upload, save. But still nothing happens. Oh, I haven't tried it in the book edit page with a larger size! I only tried under my photos. Do you think that's what I'm doing wrong?

message 13: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (goodreadscomcherylbdale) | 21 comments Cheryl wrote: "Right. I browse, upload, save. But still nothing happens. Oh, I haven't tried it in the book edit page with a larger size! I only tried under my photos. Do you think that's what I'm doing wrong?"

Nope. I tried that, too, and nothing happened. I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure out why I can't figure out how to do this right!

message 14: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Hmm. Do you also have these images on your website or somewhere online (not Amazon or another bookseller) that you can link to?

message 15: by Cheryl (last edited Feb 24, 2012 04:45PM) (new)

Cheryl (goodreadscomcherylbdale) | 21 comments This cover is in my pub's bookstore at

http://museituppublishing.com/booksto...

but I have no idea how to link to a website!

Oh, and on my website, too.

http://www.cherylbdale.com/html/man_i...

message 16: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Snagged the image from your site and uploaded it. It don't see covers for the other books without any on your site.

message 17: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (goodreadscomcherylbdale) | 21 comments rivka wrote: "Snagged the image from your site and uploaded it. It don't see covers for the other books without any on your site."

Thank you thank you thank you!!! No, the other two won't be out till later this year and the covers aren't done yet.

But the question remains: why oh why can't I do this myself????

message 18: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Without being able to watch over your shoulder, that's hard for me to guess.

message 19: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (goodreadscomcherylbdale) | 21 comments Okay. I go to edit details on book page. Hit browse. Put in saved image. Hit upload. Put in required comment. Hit Save at bottom. Is there something I'm not doing?

message 20: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Put in required comment."

This step is really optional, but shouldn't cause a problem.

That sure sounds like the right sequence of steps to me.

message 21: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (goodreadscomcherylbdale) | 21 comments All rightie. I'll try it again next chance I get. Maybe I'm in a Librarian probation period or something that won't let me do stuff I might mess up!

Thank you again, Rivka!