The Sword and Laser discussion

2010 Reads > Sword or Laser Books with Non European Settings?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (last edited Feb 23, 2012 03:23PM) (new)

Mark Nuhfer | 32 comments On Podcast 92 Tom talked about the subtle non-European setting of Blue Remembered Earth. Over on Vance's "As I get older..." thread Vance and Sean talked about some fantasy books with non-European settings.

That got me thinking about recommendations for good Sword or Laser books that have non-Eurocentric settings. Maybe I'm drawn to these kinds of books as an ex-Peace Corps volunteer.

For example, Vance suggested:
Bridge of Birds: A Novel of an Ancient China That Never Was (a book I heartily second) and
Across the Nightingale Floor.

Some of the ones that I've enjoyed include:
The Dervish House
Kirinyaga: A Fable of Utopia
River of Gods
Servant of the Underworld
Pashazade
The Windup Girl
God's War
Mammoths of the Great Plains

Anyone else have other suggestions?

message 2: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2290 comments The Desert of Souls by Howard Andrew Jones is fantasy with an Arabian historical setting. The Emperor's Knife by Mazarkis Williams is imaginary world fantasy with a middle eastern/Persian feel to it.

Charles R. Saunders' Imaro books are sword & sorcery in an imaginary world based on historical Africa.

Kara Dalkey wrote a trilogy set in 16th century Goa and several other books with Japanese settings.

Depending on your definition of Eurocentric, there's also C.J. Cherryh's Rusalka books, which have a medieval Russian setting.

My personal favorite non-Eurocentric world is M.A.R. Barker's Tekumel as found in The Man Of Gold et al.