Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Fool's Errand (Tawny Man, #1)
This topic is about Fool's Errand
Realms of the Elderlings Series > Fool's Errand (Tawny Man #1) - Planning to Read, Roll Call, First Impressions

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments You know the drill.

:)

Traci I'll reread these. :)
The next three books are my favorite ones by Hobb. And top favorites overall. Well in my top ten anyway.

message 3: by Kerry (new) - added it

Kerry (rocalisa) | 50 comments We're now at the point where I haven't read the books, so I'm looking forward to continuing. I'll be in for this one. I have some other things to finish first, but my goal is to read it in March.

message 4: by Helen (last edited Mar 15, 2012 01:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Helen I've never read them either, I always thought I'd do reread and kept putting it off. I'm planning on getting to it pretty soon.
That's a reread of the first six that we just did in order to read these.

Traci That's really cool, Alex.

Katie | 19 comments Present for discussion.

Alex, that's awesome. You'll have to say what scene it is in the spoiler topic!

Christy Martin Bullock | 12 comments I would be very interested to hear what page/scene Hobb signed for Alex. I can remember one that left me feeling the same.

Helen I shall definitely be reading. Finishing Heir of Novron first and possibly one other.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments I wonder if one of the mods could move this folder closer to the top? I'm really enjoying this so far. I'm on p. 106 0ft the ebook and am wondering a lot about Fool/Amber/Beloved. Is it a he or a she?

It's been a while since I read the Farseer trilogy. Can someone refresh my memory about Fitz and the Fool? I remember them being close, but not as close as the Fool seems to feel... Is he/she in love with Fitz? Interesting.

Traci Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "I wonder if one of the mods could move this folder closer to the top? I'm really enjoying this so far. I'm on p. 106 0ft the ebook and am wondering a lot about Fool/Amber/Beloved. Is it a he or ..."

(view spoiler)

message 11: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "I wonder if one of the mods could move this folder closer to the top? I'm really enjoying this so far. I'm on p. 106 0ft the ebook and am wondering a lot about Fool/Amber/Beloved. Is it a he or ..."

Done.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Jon wrote: "Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "I wonder if one of the mods could move this folder closer to the top? I'm really enjoying this so far. I'm on p. 106 0ft the ebook and am wondering a lot about Fool/Amber/..."

Thanks. :)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Traci wrote: "Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "I wonder if one of the mods could move this folder closer to the top? I'm really enjoying this so far. I'm on p. 106 0ft the ebook and am wondering a lot about Fool/Amber/..."

Oh, thanks for that, Traci. I'm enjoying it so far. About halfway through.

message 14: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 16 comments At some point I think I will read this book.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Oh, you should! It's compelling. But you should read Farseer and Ships first.

message 16: by Janny (new) - added it

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments I've read these recently enough (within the past 2 years) that I'll chime in if I have something relevant to add.

Wastrel | 51 comments I'll re-read them at some point, but maybe not in sync with the group - maybe need a bit of a break from Hobb and I've got two other novels I need to read as well.

That said, like Janny, I've read them relatively recently, and I know them very well, so I'll be lurking through the discussion anyway.

Helen I started this Sunday and am loving it, about a third through.

Travis | 11 comments Okay, I was trying to decide which book to tackle first now that I have joined the club. Since I already read Mistborn (and LOVED it!), I think I would like to try Tawny Man.

Question for those who have read it: if it's been a few years since I read the first trilogy and may have forgotten a lot, will I be lost here? Or does Robin Hobb provide enough exposition to catch me back up?

Thanks,
Travis

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Well, I hadn't read them in a few years, but did read Live Ships before reading these. Am glad I did.

Travis | 11 comments I read the Assassin trilogy and later read the Liveship trilogy (actually enjoyed Liveship more). I guess it's time to dive into Tawny Man. I'm behind everyone so I'd better get cracking!

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Travis wrote: "I read the Assassin trilogy and later read the Liveship trilogy (actually enjoyed Liveship more). I guess it's time to dive into Tawny Man. I'm behind everyone so I'd better get cracking!"

Ok.

Wastrel | 51 comments Travis wrote: "Okay, I was trying to decide which book to tackle first now that I have joined the club. Since I already read Mistborn (and LOVED it!), I think I would like to try Tawny Man.

Question for those w..."

I'd say you'll probably be fine. There aren't that many characters and places you have to remember, and it'll probably all come back to you - Hobb's pretty good at giving any really essential details you may have forgotten. It's a new plot, so there aren't lots of hanging threads that you have to be 100% up on.

message 24: by Mach (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mach | 41 comments You can also read a summary of the previous books to refresh your memory, if you don't want to do a reread. You can find it on wiki.

Travis | 11 comments Up to chapter 3 so far. Much of it is starting to ring a bell and Robin Hobb does help with just enough background exposition (you were right, Wastrel!)

Interesting quotes, so far:

"But when the enemy is finally driven far from your shore, and your houses are restored and your field begin to yield and your flocks increase, why, then it becomes time to find fault with your neighbors again."

Makes you wonder whether we should always have an enemy threatening to protect ourselves from each other.

"It doesn't matter who a man's father is. Your parents made a child, but it's up to you to make the man you'll be."

Good stuff. I love it when you begin getting into a story to the point that you're no longer seeing words on paper but actually visualizing the scene. She's a really good author and I'm officially seeing the scene!