Home Improvement: Undead Edition
This topic is about Home Improvement
THE SHORTS > RICK THE BRAVE

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacia (new)

Stacia Kane (staciakane) | 157 comments Mod
Any questions/comments on it?

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Not really a question, but I just wanted to say it seems I find some of the best series through short story books, ad that is certainly the case with Chess & Terrible! There was something about the way Chess talks about her "boyfriend" that made me re-read the story, which I then realized was Terrible.

I read it again after reading the 3 books, and it was fun to read a different POV. Thank you for giving us this escape!

I have read lots of series, and love a lot of characters like they are my own friends, but there is something about Chess and Terrible that make them by far my favorites.

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie (kahneks) Where does this "Rick the Brave" short story fall in line with Chess and Terrible? For instance: Home is #3.6...what number would Rick be?

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ i really liked it....enjoyed Terrible just "being there" for Chess.

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Katie wrote: "Where does this "Rick the Brave" short story fall in line with Chess and Terrible? For instance: Home is #3.6...what number would Rick be?"

"Rick the Brave" is #3.5. Another Chess and Terrible story, without them being the main characters. Kinda fun!

message 6: by Stacia (new)

Laura wrote: "Not really a question, but I just wanted to say it seems I find some of the best series through short story books, ad that is certainly the case with Chess & Terrible! There was something about the..."

Thanks so much, Laura! That's what I was hoping for, actually, that it wouldn't be immediately apparent to those unfamiliar with the series that C&T were together. I knew the antho would be out before SM, and I knew it would be read by people who'd never even heard of me/the series, so I didn't want it to be a big spoiler (but at the same time wanted to make sure there was something in there that those who *had* read the books would get). :-)

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Stacia wrote: "Laura wrote: "Not really a question, but I just wanted to say it seems I find some of the best series through short story books, ad that is certainly the case with Chess & Terrible! There was somet..."

You were spot on! And it didn't ruin the series at all for me, knowing that they got together, it actually helped alleviate some stress, plus I didn't really know when that would happen.

On a side note, I have commented on most of these threads, more than once ... I hope that doesn't make me seem creepy or anything! I just really love your books! :-)

message 8: by Sarah (SB) ღ (new)

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments Oh Laura, speak up girl.....or else lurkers (like me ;)) won't have anything to do with our free time. They're called discussion groups for a reason. Btw, I had absolutely nooo help with the stress induced by wondering, just bloody nubs for fingertips and bags under my eyes.
It totally ROCKED!!

message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie (kahneks) What book does terrible drop the pet name on Chess? Since chess's name is cessaria, then does terrible have a different name...does that come out in the next couple of books?

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Lol thanks Sarah! :-) This is my first discussion group.

Katie - I want to say it actually happens in the first book. And as far as anyone knows, his name is Terrible. Chess is just a shorter name for Cessaria, like possibly Kate or Katie can be for Katherine

message 11: by Sarah (SB) ღ (new)

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments The I Gots Terrible Fever was my first group, but really isn't this just blissful carry-over? It's TOTALLY killing me to stay out of the spoiler discussion area!!

Killing meeeee....

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Sarah wrote: "The I Gots Terrible Fever was my first group, but really isn't this just blissful carry-over? It's TOTALLY killing me to stay out of the spoiler discussion area!!

Killing meeeee...."

I have taken a few peeks, but then quickly left. I found out a couple things, but it won't ruin the book for me. :-) I really want to go through and read everything!

message 13: by Sarah (SB) ღ (new)

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments I peeked last night *shame* for about 10 seconds, I realllly don't want to ruin it

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Sarah wrote: "I peeked last night *shame* for about 10 seconds, I realllly don't want to ruin it"

LOL Sarah, I think we are kindred souls! I kinda scrolled down faster than I could read everything, but was still able to pick out a few words and phrases here and there. :-)

message 15: by Sarah (SB) ღ (new)

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments I think you're right Laura!! Chuckles at fast scrolling, I was burning up the little mousey roller. I want to know so bad!!

message 16: by Allison (new)

Allison (aah92) I had toyed with buying this before but I have a thing about paying that much for ebooks so I let it go. I didn't know that there was a Stacia Kane/Chess/Terrible story in it! So, yeah, I broke my rule just to get this short. I guess I'm a little addicted, huh?

Annie (pages_of_chaos) | 3 comments Katie... Terrible has his own specific pet name for Chess (besides Chess and Chessie) and he uses it in book 1. He calls her Chessiebomb..

message 18: by Katie (new)

Katie (kahneks) Thanks Annie...how many of these have you read? I finished the second one last week, now I need to start the third. Which one was your favorite?

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments I think most of us here have read them all, probably multiple times. :-)

message 20: by Stacia (new)

The first use of "Chessiebomb" in the books is the withdrawal scene in UNHOLY MAGIC. :-) Hopefully it's clear that it's not a new nickname, he's called her that before, but it didn't appear in the books before that moment.

I actually spent quite a bit of time trying to come up with just the right thing for him to call her; something that sounded like he would have come up with it, but something that he would also feel--given their relationship at the time--didn't give too much away, so to speak. Something it would make sense to just call a friend.

I'm so glad everyone likes it so much! :-) I was quite pleased with it.

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Dang, I thought it was in Unholy Ghosts! Well, you did your job then, since it did not seem like that was the first time he said it! :-)

Emily | 110 comments Stacia wrote: "The first use of "Chessiebomb" in the books is the withdrawal scene in UNHOLY MAGIC. :-) Hopefully it's clear that it's not a new nickname, he's called her that before, but it didn't appear in the ..."

I thought the name was perfect. I think I may have sighed when he said it...................I'm such a nerd ;)

message 23: by Sarah (SB) ღ (new)

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments Nah Em, lol, I think it was a collective sigh from all us nerds

Emily | 110 comments Sarah wrote: "Nah Em, lol, I think it was a collective sigh from all us nerds"

HAHAHAHA thanks Sarah. I am glad i'm not alone. I know my boyfriend kept giving me strange looks while I was reading the books so I may have sighed a lot more than once ;)

message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie (kahneks) Does anyone have a favorite scene that I can look forward to while reading the third book. Like the bathroom, or rooftop, or graveyard scene - small clue like that...not a spoiler just a teaser.

Girls, I took your advice about the audio on the second book (I also downloaded the book...and listened while I read along). It was A-mazing! The narrator is right up there with James Marsters. I plan on doing the same with this third one. I hope the next BINGO shelf will allow it...

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Hmm ... teaser ... in CoG, I like the city scene. It is near the end ... I read it twice. :-) Also, a scene not long before that ... how can I say this without giving anything away ... when she answers her phone, and the car ride that follows? For whatever reason I really liked that too. The graveyard scene makes me cringe, though it is necessary (but I don't have to like it).

message 27: by Katie (new)

Katie (kahneks) There is ANOTHER graveyard scene in COG? Or, are you recalling the mortifying one in the second book?

Okay, so a car ride and a City scene but not until the end...perfect. Thanks.

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Oh, no, sorry. Just the one in UM ... my thoughts got a little jumbled. :-) Just because I can follow my train of thought doesn't mean everyone else can, sometimes I forget that! Lol.

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Katie wrote: "There is ANOTHER graveyard scene in COG? Or, are you recalling the mortifying one in the second book?

Okay, so a car ride and a City scene but not until the end...perfect. Thanks."

Just wanted to follow up ... did you finish the book yet? What did you think? :-)

We are down to 10 days folks!

message 30: by Katie (new)

Katie (kahneks) I am enjoying it so far 40%. You mentioned the "car" ride with Terrible. So....Chess and Terrible have taken a few car rides together, but no sparks yet. So, I have been on pins and needles everytime they go near the vehicle!!!! LOL The story is a more developed and I haven't been able to figure out the killer yet (which I love)makes for great suspense while I am waiting for one of the two main characters to offer the other an olive branch. Chess is too stubborn.

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Car ride closer to the end. It isn't so much a "sweet" moment, just one I find kind of funny. :-)You only have a week!

message 32: by SassyC (new)

SassyC | 10 comments Loved the way Chess describes Terrible in this short! It seemed that she felt confident, safe and protected.

message 33: by Stacia (new)

Hey guys! The Guardian (big UK newspaper) did a review of HOME IMPROVEMENT: UNDEAD EDITION, and singled out RICK THE BRAVE and Patricia Briggs's GRAY as the two standouts in the anthology! Check it out:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/...

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments I saw that, congrats! :-) It really is a good story, it's what lead me to the series.

message 35: by Stacia (new)

Thanks, Laura! I'm really excited!

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments I bet, and I just saw the post on Finding Magic, and now I am really excited! :-)

message 37: by Mona (new)

Mona Bliss (missblissreads) | 75 comments Very nice mention in that review and exactly what I thought when I read the collection. I just reread Rick The Brave and it's a really good tight short story. I always enjoy getting to see a world and characters that I know well from a different point of view.

message 39: by Stacia (new)

Thanks, guys!

message 40: by Ferdy (last edited May 06, 2012 03:40AM) (new)

Ferdy (ferdy21) | 42 comments I'm so happy that The Guardian gave it a good review, as along with The Times it's the most respected newspaper in the UK:)
I've still not read this, I'm going to try and read it soon.