The Sword and Laser discussion

LINSANITY is affecting my reading

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Remington (new)

Remington | 38 comments I can think of a handful of sci fi and fantasy books with sports in them. But I can't think of any books that are centered around sports. But surely there are some, right?

message 2: by Matt (new)

Matt Ekenstedt | 3 comments The Rookie follows a player, not a team, but it's the only one I can think of.

message 3: by Remington (new)

Remington | 38 comments @Kid The problem with that theory is that I know a lot of "nerds and geeks" who are into the statistical analysis side of sports. Specifically fantasy football.

message 4: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments A large part of Ender's Game is about that sport where they paralyze each other.

message 5: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Kid wrote: "Has anyone else fallen under the spell of LINSANITY?"

message 7: by Colin (new)

Colin | 278 comments Space Jam

Booyah.

message 8: by Vance (new)

Vance | 362 comments On a related note, an oft-posted quote:

Fantasy Football is just Dungeons and Dragons for jocks.

message 9: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
A search on Amazon turned up the 'Galactic Football League' series by Scott Sigler - no idea how good or bad it is.

Book 1: THE ROOKIE

message 10: by Remington (new)

Remington | 38 comments Oh god, anytime someone mentions Space Jam I get its soundtrack stuck in my head. I'm going to be thinking of "I can fly like an eagle" all night.

message 11: by Remington (new)

Remington | 38 comments Oh, I just thought of one. What about "Steel" by Richard Matheson. It was only a short story, and I never had a chance to read it, but it was the basis of the movie Real Steel.

message 12: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments Jlawrence wrote: "A search on Amazon turned up the 'Galactic Football League' series by Scott Sigler - no idea how good or bad it is.

Book 1: THE ROOKIE"

I enjoyed it quite well when I listened to it as a free audio book from the podibooks web site:
http://www.podiobooks.com/title/the-r...

message 13: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3506 comments Mod
Jlawrence wrote: "A search on Amazon turned up the 'Galactic Football League' series by Scott Sigler - no idea how good or bad it is.

Book 1: THE ROOKIE"

It's set in a universe where American Football is the dominant football code.

So obviously it's fantasy ;-)

message 14: by Noel (new)

Noel Baker | 364 comments Sometimes there comes a thread on here that is totally incomprehensible. What the heck is everyone talking about? Mind you,if it's American Football related who in the rest of the world gives a toss?

message 15: by Jill (new)

Jill Tassie Dave wrote: " It's set in a universe where American Football is the dominant football code.

So obviously it's fantasy ;-)"

LMAO

message 16: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Kid wrote: "Egads.

European football vs American football arguement again?

Come on, I thought we were all past this by now."

Yeah, everyone knows they both suck and Australian-rules is the only way to go.

message 17: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments Actually in "The Rookie" the type of football played makes even Rugby players look like they are pansies :)

message 18: by running_target (new)

running_target (running_t4rg3t) | 52 comments Linsanity? Not Linterested.

message 19: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3506 comments Mod
Kid wrote: "European football vs American football arguement again?"

Actually I'm an Aussie Rules fanatic. A football code even less likely to take over the universe.

message 20: by Jill (new)

Jill Aussie rules is awesome - mental but awesome. Don't know the world would survive if it became the dominant force :)

message 21: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4132 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Kid wrote: "European football vs American football arguement again?"

Actually I'm an Aussie Rules fanatic. A football code even less likely to take over the universe."

I got into this while working with an Australian customer. Great game.