Action Heroine Fans discussion

General discussions > Action Heroines in Comics

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Derrick (new)

Derrick (noetichatter) | 91 comments I'll start. . .

I just finished reading two volumes of Matt Fraction's Iron Man omniboo. Yes, it's about Tony Stark. But there's some terrific attention to paid to Tony's female cast.

Natasha Romanova, the Black Widow, is one of the great comics action chicks. She gets some good screentime here. Even better is Maria Hill, who generally gets written as a one note harpy bitch. But here, she's got some growth and shows a lot of humanity -- while still being a badass.

Finally and best is Pepper Potts, who shows a tremendous amount of backbone and intelligence. And she gets her own Iron Man armor -- she calls it RESCUE because it's primarily defensive. I love her character in these stories, and I want to see more.

Your turn. . .

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 360 comments I like Tomb Raider, Witchblade, Elektra and Wonder Women the most.

message 3: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1514 comments Some readers of this thread might also be interested in the one devoted to contemporary comic-format action heroine Femme Noir. The link is: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2... .

Back when I read comics, in the late 50s and early 60s (which dates me!) I don't recall many action heroine types in that medium, at least not that I discovered. But I did like Superman's cousin (if I recall the relationship correctly!), Supergirl.

message 4: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) I've never read any Iron Man...I'm still waiting on that Wonder Woman movie. It's gotta happen eventually. Love me some Supergirl & her clone, Power Girl.

My favorites are the Birds of Prey-a group of women including Oracle, Huntress and Black Canary.

Michonne from The Walking Dead is also pretty wicked awesome. I've also read a few Star Wars comics about Mara Jade and those are never a let down.

I'm actually about to start reading 'Season 8' of the Buffy comics. The omnibuses were good, so I have high hopes. :)

message 5: by Derrick (new)

Derrick (noetichatter) | 91 comments Holly wrote: "I'm actually about to start reading 'Season 8' of the Buffy comics. The omnibuses were good, so I have high hopes. :) "

I haven't read season 8, but I have read half a dozen issues of Angel & Faith, which goes with season 9, and it's terrific. It may be the best Faith has ever been written.

message 6: by Nomad (new)

Nomad | 24 comments My heart belongs to Wonder Woman. But I'm also partial to Vixen, Black Canary and Hawkgirl. Batgirl/Oracle is a no brainer.

Also, who DOESN'T love Storm???

message 7: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) Derrick, I can't wait to get to those! I adore Faith. She's the perfect anti-heroine and just way too easy to root for. You know Buffy's gonna win. But with Faith win? Who knows!! That the beauty of it! :)

Nomad, who can't love the Batgirl/Oracle storyline? This is why I love DC so much-characters actually evolve! I also think Hawkgirl doesn't get nearly enough play & I haven't read anything with Vixen, yet.

Storm wasn't represented well enough in the movies, I thought. Comic Storm would kick her ass. That aside, X-women in general are pretty awesome. In particular, Rogue, X-23, Psylocke, Magik, Polaris, Domino...I could make a big X-Men list, I think!

message 8: by Greg (new)

Greg Wagner | 5 comments Definitely Tulip O'Hare from the "Preacher Gone To Texas" comic book series. Although she is almost an anti-heroine, she still rocks!

message 9: by Sheeza (new)

Sheeza | 4 comments After thoroughly enjoying the Jessica Jones Netflix series, I've dived into the monthly comic as well as The Defenders monthly. Her portrayal in those books is much more nuanced and three-dimensional than in the previous Jessica Jones: Alias series.

message 10: by Sheeza (new)

Sheeza | 4 comments Holly wrote: "Derrick, I can't wait to get to those! I adore Faith. She's the perfect anti-heroine and just way too easy to root for. You know Buffy's gonna win. But with Faith win? Who knows!! That the beauty o..."

The X-Men comics have definitely captured my interest as of late in a way they hadn't previously. Although Storm has been a leader of many teams of X-Men, it feels different with Kitty Pryde and Jean Grey leading their respective teams. There's a freshness that wasn't there before. I'm really enjoying them.

message 11: by Mervi (new)

Mervi | 122 comments Holly wrote: "Storm wasn't represented well enough in the movies, I thought. Comic Storm would kick her ass."

Oh yes! Condering the wonderful X-Men women in comics I've been rather disappointed with their movie counterparts, Storm and Rogue in particular.

I'm a long-time comics reader. My first action heroine in comics was Modesty Blaise (along with Princess Leia in the Marvel SW comics).

I started my superhero reading with the X-Men so I was rather spoiled with lots of interesting and powerful female characters such as Storm, Rogue, Kitty Pryde, Jean Grey, and Rachel Summers.