The Sword and Laser discussion

Scifi / Fantasy News > Scalzi and Wheaton Nominated for a Audie - Audie Nominee Listing Too

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Copying from Scalzi's Google+ post below:
John Scalzi - Feb 20, 2012 - Public
A nice thing happened today: I'm nominated for two Audie Awards (them's for audiobooks!), one for Fuzzy Nation, and one for Agent to the Stars. Nominated along with me: +Wil Wheaton , who narrated both. Whee!

https://plus.google.com/1035198620187...

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2012/02/20...

message 2: by Nick (last edited Feb 22, 2012 06:52AM) (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments And going through Scalzi's article, here is the list of the Audies finalists.
http://audiobooker.booklistonline.com...

SCIENCE FICTION
Agent to the Stars, by John Scalzi, Narrated by Wil Wheaton, Audible, Inc.

The Cold Commands, by Richard K. Morgan, Narrated by Simon Vance, Tantor Audio

Fuzzy Nation, by John Scalzi, Narrated by Wil Wheaton, Audible, Inc.

Leviathan Wakes, by James S.A. Corey, Narrated by Jefferson Mays, Recorded Books, LLC.

Solaris: The Definitive Edition, by Stanislaw Lem, Narrated by Alessandro Juliani, Audible, Inc.

The Tears of the Sun: A Novel of the Change, by S.M. Stirling, Narrated by Todd McLaren, Tantor Audio

message 3: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments I didn't know there was a awards ceremony for audible books. Guess I'm the only one that is excited to learn this. This list will help me with my next audible book choice.

message 4: by Jill (new)

Jill I love Scalzi and Wheaton so this makes me very happy! I just picked up my Audible book for this month (the S&L pick) but I might have to try the Solaris one next... I've been hearing good things about it.

message 5: by Leavey (new)

Leavey | 83 comments I loved Fuzzy Nation! I hope the win :-)

message 6: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4183 comments I do not understand the nerdgasms over Wil Wheaton. Yes, he seems like a cool dude. But no one can be as cool as the nerds seem to make him.

Don't get me started on some others...

But I actually preferred Wheaton's narration of Ready Player One to his work on Fuzzy Nation. But I preferred Fuzzy Nation's reading to the original Little Fuzzy reading. So, not a bad nomination.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments terpkristin wrote: "I do not understand the nerdgasms over Wil Wheaton."

So this doesn't do it for you?

message 8: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments The wrong person is wearing a shirt in that picture IMHO. :-)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments Nick wrote: "The wrong person is wearing a shirt in that picture IMHO. :-)"
She barely is!

message 10: by Nick (last edited Feb 23, 2012 04:15PM) (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Jenny wrote: "Nick wrote: "The wrong person is wearing a shirt in that picture IMHO. :-)"
She barely is!"

This picture reminds me of a rule a friend of mine has. She says she won't date a guy who has bigger breasts than she does. This picture isn't that bad but some romance novel covers are pretty gross.

message 11: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4183 comments Cannot unsee!

Actually I have no idea who the woman is supposed to be.

I guess in this aspect of nerd culture, I will never fit in. Now is probably the time to say that I hated Star Wars.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments High-five, I've never even SEEN Star Wars.

It is a joke image from The Guild, a web based geeky gamer show, that's Felicia Day.

message 13: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments terpkristin wrote: "Now is probably the time to say that I hated Star Wars."

You'll have to be more specific. Original trilogy or new trilogy? .. hehe

message 14: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4183 comments Nick wrote: "terpkristin wrote: "Now is probably the time to say that I hated Star Wars."

You'll have to be more specific. Original trilogy or new trilogy? .. hehe"

Never saw new trilogy. And in fairness only watched original trilogy as a part of a class on new mythology.

message 15: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments terpkristin wrote: "Nick wrote: "terpkristin wrote: "Now is probably the time to say that I hated Star Wars."

You'll have to be more specific. Original trilogy or new trilogy? .. hehe"

Never saw new trilogy. And in..."

I was just joking. I was not a fan of the new trilogy and I have the memories of watching the original trilogy as a kid keeping me from seeing the movies with anything coming close to a critical eye.

message 16: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments I like the original trilogy, but I refuse to give Lucas another dime until he puts out decent versions of the original, unaltered films.

As for the new trilogy, I saw the first one in theater, watched the second on DVD and skipped every scene with Anakin and Amidala. I didn't even bother with the last one.

Also never watched Jurassic Park or Forest Gump.

message 18: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelbetts) This topic went to Star Wars in record time.