Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > Great Reviews - post text or link

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen A. Wyle (kawyle) | 253 comments How about a thread where both readers and authors post the text of, or a link to, a great review? This can be either a particularly enthusiastic or a particularly well-written review of any book.

I'll start out with a link to a short Amazon review of Twin-Bred, starting with the line, "Real science fiction is back!"

http://www.amazon.com/review/RJRZ7KY8...

message 2: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonreisfeld) | 18 comments Here's a link to a great review I got for The Last Way Station. The headline was, "I Only Wish It Were Longer!" I'll take that kind of assessment any day! http://www.amazon.com/review/R374SHXG...

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen A. Wyle (kawyle) | 253 comments I got another Amazon review from someone who downloaded Twin-Bred while it was free. The most happy-making line: "I hope to see another book by this author (and this time, I'd be wiling to pay)." :-)

message 4: by Karina (new)

Karina Kantas Review I received for Huntress. (Which came out on Kindle today.)

First book I have read from Karina Kantas will not be the last .

received book yesterday finished this morning. Sofi changes her whole life style as a Journalist in order to get revenge for the murder of her uncle and Death of her Brother at the hands of the Wolves motorcycle gang, to get to their Leader who was responsible for uncles Death but in doing so falls in love with His son.

most differently a page turner.

leaves you wondering if they get away or spend their life looking over their shoulder. I will be looking for next book

:) Huntress by Karina Kantas

message 5: by Emmalee (new)

Emmalee Aple (EmmaleeAple) | 21 comments Today on amazon I recieved my first review for Neophyte, which just went on sale this week!

"The story line absolutely engulfed me. Really well done by this new writer. I look forward to the next book....please hurry! "

Neophyte by Emmalee Aple

message 6: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (ubersoft) This is by far my favorite:

I remain an indifferent reader of caper novels and am not particularly enamored of ruffians or dashing ne'er-do-wells, but Wright made me care about his cast of unlikely characters. The dialogue is superb, the characterization spot-on and the plot moves with both speed and poise, just as it should in a novel of this kind. It's funny, it's entertaining, it's extremely well-done. Plus (and a big plus it is), the formatting is clean and elegant, not always a given with e-books.

If you are a fan of space adventure novels with too-clever smuggler-captains, you owe it to yourself to drop the $3.50 on Pay Me, Bug! You could read it for free online, but you can pay the author the compliment of buying it, and in my opinion, you should.

Pay Me, Bug!

message 7: by S B (last edited Feb 24, 2012 12:38PM) (new)

S B | 12 comments I received an encouraging 5 star review on Amazon from someone I didn't know. I was so surprised that I almost.....read more at:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R3B8VETR...

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol Ryan (rightnowisperfect) | 52 comments I've gotten some great reviews and a couple bad ones, but I'm proud of the 'Big Al Books and Pals' because it seems most objective.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11...

message 9: by Bryn (last edited Feb 25, 2012 02:37PM) (new)

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) Here's the latest review I have Liked. The book is one of Christopher Logue's 're-tellings' of the Iliad, in poetry. It's a great book - in my opinion - and I Liked the review for enthusiasm and skilled description.
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Oh, and I'll tag on my other Liked review. The Nibelungenlied, a German medieval epic, and a wonder among reviews - enthusiasm and insight.
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol Ryan (rightnowisperfect) | 52 comments Bryn wrote: "Here's the latest review I have Liked. The book is one of Christopher Logue's 're-tellings' of the Iliad, in poetry. It's a great book - in my opinion - and I Liked the review for enthusiasm and sk..."

Christopher wrote: "This is by far my favorite:

I remain an indifferent reader of caper novels and am not particularly enamored of ruffians or dashing ne'er-do-wells, but Wright made me care about his cast of unlikel..."

Yes! 5 stars from strangers--very nice!

message 11: by Leila (new)

Leila Summers (leilasummers) | 63 comments This is a great thread! Just an extra idea to add. If you read a great review, don't forget to click on 'like' at the bottom of the review. This helps other readers as well as the authors (it moves the good review further up the page). I have received some really amazing reviews from strangers on my memoir. This is one of my favorites -
http://www.amazon.com/review/R37YI4M3...
Kindest,
Leila

message 12: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Jones (darlene_jones) | 152 comments Love this review for EMPOWERED.
Do you believe in reincarnation? What if your past life and the next was controlled by "powers" with an agenda? These questions floated through my mind as I read EMPOWERED, the second in a series. I had not read the first book in the series, EMBATTLED, so I wondered if this one could stand alone. Yes. The characters are well developed and the author tells a complete story within this book. That doesn't mean the story ends or begins in this volume.

This novel follows Jasmine and Victor as they fall in love and face a great challenge. The author uses a "flashback" technique to give readers insight into all the major characters' past. It's effective and interesting. Readers aren't "told" the things we need to know in a long dry narrative, we're shown parts of the characters' stories. The only exception is the background of the entities that watch and manipulate people on Earth (and other planets) for a special purpose.

At first I thought the two lovers (who were destined to be together) seemed too good to be true. Then I realized they were forced to be perfect by the "powers." From childhood Jasmine and Victor felt compelled to make the world a better place and wait for their soul mates. Is this fair? Well the "powers" do what is necessary to achieve their goals and let puny mortals fight their battles. Who are these powers anyway? Angels? Olympic gods? Alien beings? I guess we need to read the rest of the series to find out--clever of the author to make us wonder.

This book is a blend of romance, adventure, and science fiction. Darlene Jones is a talented writer who makes us wonder if the world can be a better place. I'm sure "powers" manipulate her for their greater purpose but we get to enjoy the result.

message 13: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Jones (darlene_jones) | 152 comments And another review for my first book, EMBATTLED.
Em's life is taken over by supreme beings who use her to make Earth a better place to live. She is given super powers and thrives in her new role. But a love triangle inevitably causes its own brand of chaos. Embattled will have you turning pages as your emotions become entangled with those of the characters. This book is well written and entertaining. The author has a special talent for painting with words. She is skilled in the mechanics of writing, but there is nothing mechanical about the storytelling. A great read

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

This was a review I had on goodreads:

I just finished reading The Pond...i loved it! A must read for those who enjoy intrigue, suspense, adventure, an emotional rollercoaster with its highs and lows of life...entangled in chapters of surprises and twists and turns right to the very end of the book. I would love to see a trilogy michelle!!

message 15: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Jones (darlene_jones) | 152 comments Isn't it great to get a favorable review from someone you don't know? I even had a person ask to review my book. How cool is that?

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, it is great Darlene! :)

message 17: by N.P. (new)

N.P. Statham (npstatham) I just received a beautiful review from a writer I greatly admire, Suzie Ivy. Btw, if you haven't read her Bad Luck Cadet and Officer books you're missing out on one of the best reads out there :)

From Suzie Ivy's review:

I tend to stay away from police related mystery novels. I read them like chocolate before I became an officer/detective but now they leave me frustrated. Drawn in Blood did just the opposite. This book was a pleasure to read and I wasn't screaming, "No, they don't do it that way." Instead I asked the question, "Is this author or editor a cop?"

Needless to say I'm still feeling giddy and pinching myself. Is there a better compliment to a procedural writer than that? :)

You can check the full review here: Drawn in Blood

Thanks Suzie!