Reader's Ink discussion

Housekeeping > Schedule

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 384 comments Mod
I've got the schedule mostly filled in for 2012. My aplogogies if you've already told me your book choice and I'm asking you for it AGAIN, but my computer crashed and on it was the precious 2012 book list. So, I've had to recreate it. Also, I've added Sybil to the list for November. Sybil, can you tell us your book choice?

And then I had the radical idea that we take a one-month hiatus during December. Lots of us had trouble squeezing in a book during that hectic time, so I figured we could just take a breather that month. Yes?

So, to finish the list, I also need book selections from Meghan, Auntie Cheryl, and Julie. IF y'all are still game, of course. And again, sorry if you already told me. I plugged in everything I could remember. . . .

Thanks!

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie | 168 comments I choose Half-Broke Horses by Jeanette Walls. Thanks for all your efforts in organizing the group!

message 3: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 115 comments how about
The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall
I have been wanting to read it for a while.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 640 comments Mod
I know a few branches of the Udall family, and they are wonderful people. I don't know Brady personally, but he sure has a wonderful family.

I'm good with the December break too. I've read a little bit of a bio on Jeanette Walls, and what I've read sounds like her writing style should be an enjoyable and pleasant read for us. I read somewhere that either her book or Udall's book is about 600 pages, so something to keep in mind.

message 5: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 115 comments half broke horses is a great book..as is the glass castle which she also wrote...they are not fiction either which makes their story more amazing.

message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie | 168 comments I absolutely loved The Glass Castle, so I am excited to read Half-Broke Horses. I know I am stretching the book club rules because it is not fiction, but Walls does call it a 'True-Life Novel,' so I am going with it :)

(I actually did something similar for my Creative Writing Senior Thesis Project- a creative memoir based on my grandmother).

Also- what is the March selection?

message 7: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 115 comments I thought Half Broke Horses was better than the Glass Castle...so that is high praise. I am looking forward to re-reading it.

message 8: by Sybil (new)

Sybil (slp0327) | 5 comments Ashley I will get my selection to you asap. Just finished Tartar...do we know what the March book is yet?

message 9: by Alisha (new)

Alisha Rivera | 145 comments March's book is The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon.

message 10: by Sybil (new)

Sybil (slp0327) | 5 comments Thanks Alisha-I will start looking for it :)

I am thinking Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult... Is that a book you guys have done or author that is allowed...?

message 11: by Carol (last edited Feb 28, 2012 06:58AM) (new)

Speaking of "Beautiful Girl", I put it on hold about 4 or 5 months ago at friendly library, the day you posted it. I am now at 14 of 30 holds, starting out at 28 of 29. Someone said that the cost has come down. I'll never make it if it's up to my library. Anyone else Kindle it????

I love Picoult books. Haven't read any of hers in awhile, sounds good to me.

I'm not quite done with Tarter yet, you all zipped right through it, and I still have a ways to go. Personal life busy this month. I'll try to get further along over next two days.

message 12: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 115 comments I did kindle for Beautiful girls...it is either 8.99 or 9.99.

I have read 19 mintues it is a good book.

message 13: by Alisha (new)

Alisha Rivera | 145 comments I've read most of Picoult's books,
Including Nineteen Minutes. It's intense, but I liked it.

Still have a bit to go on Tartar- was able to renew it, then got too busy to read!

message 14: by Julie (new)

Julie | 168 comments I picked up Nineteen Minutes at the thrift store today- yay! I haven't read anything by Picoult but am looking forward to it.

message 15: by Carol (new)

I'll see if my library has any copies on sale. They have a for sale section for cheap. Good idea.

message 16: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 134 comments HELLO, EVERYONE! I'VE BEEN SO BOGGED DOWN WITH FOOD RESEARCH THAT I HAVE YET TO PICK A BOOK. WITH MIDTERMS IN A WEEK AND MY ALLERGIES KICKING MY BUTT, MY HEAD IS STUCK IN A MIASMA OF SNOT. ANYWAY, I THINK I WILL JUST PICK AND GET IT OVER WITH. I CHOOSE GALWAY BAY BY MARY PAT KELLY. I ADORE HISTORICAL FICTION AND THIS ONE CAME HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. SO, THERE YOU ARE!

message 17: by Carol (new)

Cheryl, just read the review of this book. Sounds really good. I read a series of books a few years ago, and the first one was "These is my Words" about a woman named Sarah Agnes Prine. She lived in Arizona, and the many struggles she went through---good books.

You mentioned in an email a week or two ago, that you could hardly wait to start commenting on our Book last month. Sounds like you've been absolutely crazy busy. Would still like if you can find a tiny window of time to get your take on that book. I like your input and the way you "see" things. Just if you can.....thx. Carol

message 18: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 384 comments Mod
Hey all,

Meg's selection--The Lonely Polygamist--is currently a measley $3.99 on Kindle, so now might be a good time to download it, if you want to avoid dealing with the library. Or printed pages.

This is the May book, so the timing is pretty good!

message 19: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 115 comments oh I will have to download it tonight....that is cheap.

message 20: by Carol (new)

Go figure - now this one my library has about 12 copies, and other ones I can't beg borrow or steel one. I may download it anyway.

Do any of you ladies use the audio feature on your Kindle's where it reads it?. I really like that, but not all books have that feature. I wish "The Beautiful
Girl would work on my Kindle, not all of them do. Hmmm.

message 21: by Alisha (new)

Alisha Rivera | 145 comments Not sure if I am missing something- but is there somewhere on this site where the whole schedule is listed? At one point I had a pretty good grasp of what's coming up...but now I don't know anymore....

message 22: by Carol (new)

Alisha and others: Go to the envelop at the top (inbox)
on the left hand side, and it is in there somewhere. I don't know if we have a complete list, but what I know is there. May's book isn't there and it's noted above.