Readers Against Prejudice and Racism discussion

Group Discussions > torturing disabled students in the US

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (hottoddie) | 4 comments http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/u...

please read this link and excuse me for the shocking title. I am very shocked that in any country in 2012 pupils in a so called school are tied down and shocked for hours in the name of therapy! I'm not sure if this is a predudice issue but really if the staff saw the kids as unique human beings who are different to them , they couldn't use electric shocks each time they behave in a way that the staff don't like! I'm sure I have behaviours that would irritate many people. Its my human right not to be hurt because of them.What do peaple think?
Does anyone have experience of contacting Amnesty International? This is a human rights issue . I am actually crying as I write and want to be able to do something to help. I know in Britain the school would be investigated, shut down and the staff arrested but I don't know how other countries go about these things

message 2: by Manybooks (last edited Feb 25, 2012 07:34AM) (new)

Manybooks | 147 comments I don't have experience contacting Amnesty International, but looking up their website and emailing them would be a good start. Also, contact as many newspapers etc. as possible. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that in the United States, not much will be done about situations like this (especially if the school is private and has political and/or religious clout). Also, I think a lot of the official outrage (both privately and by human rights groups) needs to come from inside of the United States, because if it comes from other countries, there will be no legal obligation and some would even regard what you (and maybe I) were trying to do as foreign interference.

Frankly, that school should be shut down and all teachers, anyone involved with the school on an official basis should be charged with aggravated child abuse, if not attempted murder.