Darynda Jones Fans discussion

TGDA Book Discussion > Day 7 - Chapters 1-3 Question

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana, Founder (new)

Dana Alma (readaholics) | 1174 comments Mod
What are your thoughts on the Chapters 1-3?

Traci (Mad Hatter Reads) (traci-madhatterreads) | 609 comments Mod
I thought that it was an excellent beginning to the book. The writing really captured Charley's over-caffinated, sleep deprived, ADD state that we would see throughout the book. I was laughing from the very start and so happy to be back in Charley's world.

message 3: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Well said Traci. I laughed at Cookie and Charlie's antics. :-)

message 4: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments I enjoyed the clown, he was such a kind soul - like assuring us there's still good in Charley's world. Getting to meet Dr. Yost was great because we know right away he's a villain and can start worrying about what he's capable of. And then exactly as Traci says, the book is fast paced and it looks like we're sucked into a blurred and fast reality induced by loads of caffeine right in the first chapters!

message 5: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Ines wrote: "I enjoyed the clown, he was such a kind soul - like assuring us there's still good in Charley's world. Getting to meet Dr. Yost was great because we know right away he's a villain and can start wor..."

Were you confused by Ronald the clown's request? When poor Charlie tries to be nice and say something pleasant to Jenny at the Super Dog other than the requested "bite me," it backfired on her.

Going back and re-reading for Ronald's exact request, I noticed Charlie thinks about the silliest things while waiting for Peter the sausage to nuke. She had me LOL because she was contemplating world peace, the exorbitant price of designer under garments and what the world would be like without guacamole. It is an odd mix... What odd things has Charlie said or done that has made you LOL?

message 6: by Ines (last edited Feb 21, 2012 05:45PM) (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments I though it was weird for someone to hold a grudge as a last request, I wasn't expecting "bite me" at all! lol

I wasn't expecting the sausage to be named and that made me laugh as well. Most of her random thoughts are amusing and how she takes her weird actions as something perfectly normal: driving while sleeping, climbing warehouses dressed all black (face included), discussing somebody's penis and thinking it was curious there was a nun in the room as well, trying to enter the hospital like a spy would (in the short story)... I'm a sucker for Darynda's sense of humour!

message 7: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Ines wrote: "I though it was weird for someone to hold a grudge as last request, I wasn't expecting "bite me" at all! lol

I wasn't expecting the sausage to be named and that made me laugh as well. Most of her ..."

Love Jones sense of humor too. The bite me and naming the sausage threw me too. :)

Ines wrote: "I though it was weird for someone to hold a grudge as a last request, I wasn't expecting "bite me" at all! lol

I wasn't expecting the sausage to be named and that made me laugh as well. Most of he..."

I wasn't expecting the sausage either Ines. I'm used to her naming body parts (and it's great to know her bellybutton is Stella), but the sausage? Lol!

message 9: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Traci wrote: "Ines wrote: "I though it was weird for someone to hold a grudge as a last request, I wasn't expecting "bite me" at all! lol

I wasn't expecting the sausage to be named and that made me laugh as wel..."

I forgot about her bellybutton, Traci. Thanks! :-)

And I loved when she got to Garrett's and she went on about being blind because he didn't have on a shirt and then ransacked his house for asprin...too funny!

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindymac52) Let's face it...Charley is half a bubble off center. And I wouldn't have her be anything else! She is soooo wacky, I just wanna call her friend!

message 12: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Traci wrote: "And I loved when she got to Garrett's and she went on about being blind because he didn't have on a shirt and then ransacked his house for asprin...too funny!"

All while she was thinking how hot he look without the shirt and that it was a good thing Cookie was not with her...Charlie is a minx. LOL

message 13: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments Traci wrote: "Ines wrote: "I though it was weird for someone to hold a grudge as a last request, I wasn't expecting "bite me" at all! lol

I wasn't expecting the sausage to be named and that made me laugh as wel..."

Oooh! I had forgotten about Stella! Good one Traci :)

message 14: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (amalley71) | 19 comments Finished. All I will say is Awesome!

message 15: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Alicia wrote: "Finished. All I will say is Awesome!"

Yeah! Were you as mad at her dad and Reyes as the rest us?

message 16: by Dana, Founder (new)

Alicia wrote: "Finished. All I will say is Awesome!"

Awesome is just perfect!

message 17: by Dana, Founder (new)

Cindy wrote: "Let's face it...Charley is half a bubble off center. And I wouldn't have her be anything else! She is soooo wacky, I just wanna call her friend!"

Me too! I read a review today and the reviewer didn't like our girl Charley... (how is that possible, they just don't get her) She went on to say that the author tried to hard to be funny. I know everyone has their own opinion, but I felt like telling her to reread the story. Charley is WACK and that's just how her character rolls. Anyway she decided that she's going to read the next book.

message 18: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Dana wrote: "Cindy wrote: "Let's face it...Charley is half a bubble off center. And I wouldn't have her be anything else! She is soooo wacky, I just wanna call her friend!"

Me too! I read a review today and..."

Maybe the reviewer is just a little off balance? It couldn't be us, no way! LOL. Charley and Cookie are the "bomb"! Oh boy, I am dating myself with that one. We love Charley and Jones should keep writing her just as she is...the novels are wonderfully funny, moving, and suspenseful.

message 19: by Dana, Founder (new)

Mel wrote: "Dana wrote: "Cindy wrote: "Let's face it...Charley is half a bubble off center. And I wouldn't have her be anything else! She is soooo wacky, I just wanna call her friend!"

Me too! I read a rev..."

We are so bias, it's scary! Mel, can you imagine if someone said something in public in front of us! If looks could kill. LOL We are a little too involved with this series.

Dana wrote: "Cindy wrote: "Let's face it...Charley is half a bubble off center. And I wouldn't have her be anything else! She is soooo wacky, I just wanna call her friend!"

Me too! I read a review today and..."

I read that review too and couldn't believe that the reviewer thought Jones was trying to hard to be funny. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I know we would love all of Darynda's reviews to be glowing because we love her and her style so much. I hope she does give the rest of the series a chance.

Dana wrote: "Mel wrote: "Dana wrote: "Cindy wrote: "Let's face it...Charley is half a bubble off center. And I wouldn't have her be anything else! She is soooo wacky, I just wanna call her friend!"

Me too! ..."

I have to admit to having a nasty thought or two when I read it!

message 22: by Mel (last edited Feb 22, 2012 04:55PM) (new)

Mel | 829 comments Dana wrote: "Mel wrote: "Dana wrote: "Cindy wrote: "Let's face it...Charley is half a bubble off center. And I wouldn't have her be anything else! She is soooo wacky, I just wanna call her friend!"

Me too! ..."

I know...I was actually worse with the Hallows series by Kim Harrison. I had to stop reading all the blogs because I would get so upset...too many different possible love matches and no clear resolution.

I love this series and can enjoy it with pals who love it as much as I do. We can chat without being irrational and even better, most of us have the similar ideas. It is so much fun to share a passion with someone. My sisters think I am crazy, but you gals understand my obsession with Reyes. :-p

message 23: by Dana, Founder (new)

Traci wrote: "Dana wrote: "Cindy wrote: "Let's face it...Charley is half a bubble off center. And I wouldn't have her be anything else! She is soooo wacky, I just wanna call her friend!"

Me too! I read a rev..."

I almost wrote a "nasty" comment, but then stopped myself. To each it's own! It made me mad, I bet you felt the same way, Traci, eh? Besides she earned points when she said she would read the next book. Our moto here should be "What would Darynda do?" She would be full of graciousness and tell the review "Thank you" for her time and her honest opinion. So I took the high road and didn't say anything and posted the review on our FB page.

message 24: by Dana, Founder (new)

Mel wrote: "Dana wrote: "Mel wrote: "Dana wrote: "Cindy wrote: "Let's face it...Charley is half a bubble off center. And I wouldn't have her be anything else! She is soooo wacky, I just wanna call her friend..."

We are the Reyes posse.

Dana wrote: "Traci wrote: "Dana wrote: "Cindy wrote: "Let's face it...Charley is half a bubble off center. And I wouldn't have her be anything else! She is soooo wacky, I just wanna call her friend!"

Me too!..."

Yeah I was the same way, really wanted to say something but then thought no not everyone has to be as positive about it as we are. I was glad she said she was going to read the next one...who knows maybe she'll be converted :)

message 26: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments Traci wrote: "I have to admit to having a nasty thought or two when I read it!"

You made me laugh! :D

I also do that when reading reviews, I hope everyone feels like I did, that is, like the same ones and not liking the ones I didn't. So I always get sad when a I read a bad review about a book I really enjoyed. But well, we can't win them all. (Não se pode agradar a gregos e a troianos!) It's curious that I don't feel the same when somebody gives rave reviews about a book I didn't like. I guess it's just human nature! Totally biased!