Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Rescuing Books - Edition issue

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ruby (new)

Ruby  Tombstone Lives! (rubytombstone) I have only just seen the link to my Rescue List, and I'm coming up against problems...

QUESTION 1
The first one has a Japanese Title, but appears to be a German language edition of something I once decided I wanted to read. I can figure out which book it is, but there appears to already be a GR entry for this edition, using the English version of the title (phew!). Ummm... where do I even start with this?

QUESTION 2 - Is the data migration still going on? (ie Are the Unknown Books, Coverless Books etc going to improve beyond what it is now if I don't trawl through them?

SUGGESTION - Since there looks to be quite a lot of work that needs doing by Librarians, perhaps a simple Task List for Librarians would help? I wanted to find out what needed doing, but it all seems to be endless threads with links to other endless threads, with links.... you get my point. I'm happy to draft a tasklist if someone will give me the headline points.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42507 comments Mod
Ruby wrote: "Is the data migration still going on?"

If you mean: are we still importing books from new sources, then yes. That is a gradual process that will continue for some time.

Whether that will fix the specific books you happen to have shelved is not something I can guess at.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Ruby, is this the book you asked about:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

The ISBN does match the Japanese title, so I edited the record, and removed the German title. I tried to delete the German description, but I have to wait for the cacheing to catch up, to see if it took. (I'm not sure about the how-tos).

You can just switch to the English edition for your shelf, unless you meant to read the original Japanese.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Feb 20, 2012 09:22PM) (new)

Descriptions are not cached. I removed the German description [edit: can't; must replace with something else] from the Japanese edition and restored the ISBNs. (Not sure why they were removed?)

message 5: by Ruby (new)

Ruby  Tombstone Lives! (rubytombstone) Thanks both of you. I won't pretend to understand what just happened though! :)

Seriously too - do let me know if there's stuff us Librarians should be doing (besides books on our own shelves and books we stumble across that need saving) to help get the data issues sorted. I know my shelves are still a bit of a mess - it must be a bit of a disruption for a lot of other people still.

I guess, what I'm trying to say is: Is there a simple task list? Do you need one? Can I help? :)

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Ruby wrote: "Is there a simple task list?"

Not really. Most librarians find plenty to do, though. Finding missing covers, page numbering, publication dates, etc.

Or working on favorite authors, to be sure as new editions are added they get combined with other editions, added to series, and so on.

message 7: by Ruby (new)

Ruby  Tombstone Lives! (rubytombstone) So just the normal stuff, then? What about all the stuff that's disappeared off of the non-librarians' bookshelves?

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

If you can find enough information to fix them, great. In many cases, that's not easy.

message 9: by Ruby (new)

Ruby  Tombstone Lives! (rubytombstone) That's okay. I just assumed GR would want to minimise disruption (and disgruntled users) by sorting out the data that has disappeared from people's shelves. It just seemed like they would know what they wanted their volunteer Librarians working on as a priority.

If there is no such plan, or they're not using Librarians as part of it, that's all good too. I'm sure we all have more than enough to do. :)

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 21, 2012 06:14AM) (new)

Hey, rivka! I followed "Rescue this book" and entered the author name (the only required field). Did the ISBN disappear, or should I have re-entered it in the "Rescue this book" form?

And, how do I correctly delete the description? What do I need to do to leave it blank, which is what I attempted to do? [I understand your edit now. Why can't it be blank, I wonder?]

(Still on the low end of the learning curve, I guess! :))

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I did figure out a way to make it "blank" by putting in a little html.

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Jeannette wrote: "Did the ISBN disappear, or should I have re-entered it in the "Rescue this book" form?"

Yes, and yes.

I think the idea with the description is that something is better than nothing. Which I guess I agree with, most of the time.

message 13: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Ruby wrote: "or they're not using Librarians as part of it"

Actually, there are a number of librarians working on it. However, the low-hanging fruit has probably all been fixed already. The ones that remain may not be fixable by librarians using the information remaining.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

It might be better to move the English description over, rather than keep the German? But, neither is the prefect fit for a book written in Japanese.

I guess I need to go back through my edit log, because during rescue I can't remember if I supplied more than the fields that were marked "required" on the rescue page. I just assumed a rescue wouldn't delete info that was already in place.

message 15: by Janet (new)

Janet (janetnorcal) | 7 comments Please add a Kindle edition for A Baby for Eve by Maggie Kingsley. I bought it for my Kindle. The publisher is Harlequin. Thanks.

message 16: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Jeannette wrote: "And, how do I correctly delete the description? What do I need to do to leave it blank, which is what I attempted to do? [I understand your edit now. Why can't it be blank, I wonder?]"

I've been able to blank descriptions by clicking the "Edit this description" link if it was available. If it was not available, clicking "Use default description" will change the description to the default and make the "Edit this description" link available.

The links are to the lower right of the description box.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Peter. The problem was getting the German description to stay deleted. It isn't enough to leave it blank, I had to put in some empty html code.

message 18: by Carolyn (last edited Feb 24, 2012 07:36PM) (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments Jeannette wrote: "Thanks, Peter. The problem was getting the German description to stay deleted. It isn't enough to leave it blank, I had to put in some empty html code."

One thing you can look for is if the "default description" box is checked on another/German edition of the book. I've found that to be the problem before. If you uncheck the box, then save and go to the other edition and delete the description you don't want, it should stick.