The Sword and Laser discussion

Empire State (Empire State, #1)
This topic is about Empire State
2012 Reads > ES: Reiterated my thoughts on Action in books

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nick (cykoduck) | 26 comments Now don't get me wrong I'm a sucker for poorly written movies with lots of action eye candy, but I find that if action goes on in a book for too long I just get bored and start to do more skimming.

Without spoiling anything particular about this book I found that it reminded me of the same way I've felt on other books, particularly fantasy where a fight that goes many pages I just don't see the authors intent all the time and just find myself a bit confused and looking for general flow.

Could this be that good story tellers are not always good choreographers?

message 2: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments I had the similar thoughts.
At times it felt like a movie script then a novel.
It sort of reminded me of the movie Dark City.
Plenty of eye candy. but at times I was wondering
"what the point of this passage?

message 3: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Osias | 6 comments In stories, good authors/storytellers can have strengths and weaknesses as well. Some can have a fantastic feel for pacing, but be mediocre at characterization; some can be great at depicting vehicular combat, but struggle for words when describing a sports event.

Likewise, combat sequences may delve into areas that the author is uncomfortable, unfamiliar, or just plain unskilled in.

message 4: by Wade (new)

Wade Garret | 56 comments I was disappointed with it over all; I'm trying to talk my self into buying his new books.