Literary Fiction by People of Color discussion

N.K. Jemisin Nominated For Nebula Award

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments N.K. Jemisin has been nominated for a 2012 Nebula Award for Best Novel for the third book in her Inheritance Trilogy, The Kingdom of Gods. She was nominated last year for The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms.

Also, Nnedi Okorafor has been nominated for the Andre Norton Award for Young Adult Science Fiction and Fantasy Book for her YA novel, Akata Witch. She was also nominated for the Nebula Best Novel award last year for Who Fears Death, which was a LFPC discussion book in September, 2010.

Congratulations to both authors! The complete list of Nebula nominees can be found at this link:

http://www.sfwa.org/2012/02/2011-nebu...

message 2: by Adrienna (new)

Adrienna (adriennaturner) | 590 comments I will check out and add to my list of reads, thanks.

message 3: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Thanks for posting this, I generally really enjoy books Nebula awards this honor to.

message 4: by Hazel (new)

Hazel | 191 comments How nice for both of them!

message 5: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 2873 comments Mod
Congrats to both.
I have read Akata Witch and really enjoyed it.
I need to finish the Jemisin trilogy as she has a new series coming out in May.

message 6: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Oh she does?! That is great to hear! I still need to get strated on her current series.

message 7: by CheeseAssasin (new)

CheeseAssasin (makefetch) | 3 comments Glad for both of them but I really didn't enjoy "Kingdom of Gods."

I've had "Akata Witch" on my Kindle forever. I need to get around to reading it.

message 8: by William (last edited Mar 05, 2012 12:14AM) (new)

William (be2lieve) | 1260 comments Mod
Has any one read any of D.A. Durham's S.F. books? http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/... ? Do you think an all S.F. by POC poll would be appropriate for this group? I've read two of his non S.F. books and enjoyed them.

message 9: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 2873 comments Mod
William wrote: "Has any one read any of D.A. Durham's S.F. books? http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/... ? Do you think an all S.F. by POC poll would be appropriate for this group? I've r..."

I have read the first two books in Durham's Acacia Trilogy and loved them. I have the 3rd bk but I am waiting for the "perfect" moment to read so I can savor as this is suppose to be the best of the series.
I have actually read all of Durham's fiction bks and enjoyed his writing style.

I am an avid reader of SF books by POC so a poll would be interesting to me, if it is a book (series) I have not yet read.

message 10: by Rashida (new)

Rashida | 264 comments William wrote: "Has any one read any of D.A. Durham's S.F. books? http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/... ? Do you think an all S.F. by POC poll would be appropriate for this group? I've r..."

DO it. Do it, do it, do it. I would LURVVV an all SFF poll. This is one of my favorite new grounds to explore. I've always loved SFF, I've always loved people of color. But never the twain shall meet. Except they have met. And it is some of the most boundary busting, literary daring, straight up well written stuff that I've consumed this past year. (Murakami aside. Still bitter about that.)

And, I should have done it earlier. But let this be my next opportunity to praise to the rafters NK Jemisin and her work. I know lots of people are uninterested in SFF for many reasons. But, she really shows that the fantastical elements are just the skin that the stories are living in. And really they are lens for us to examiner our own relationships to each other in our world. I think that's one of the best uses of SFF, and I think that Jemisin, and other authors of color (and also other feminist writers) who are busting down the traditional doors, ceilings, floors of the genre are really putting a critical eye to that. Y'all, for real. Go read Jemisin.

message 11: by CheeseAssasin (new)

CheeseAssasin (makefetch) | 3 comments I'm really enjoying Akata Witch so far.