Epic Poetry and Prose discussion

Promote Your Epic Here > Genesis and The New World return to print

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (last edited Feb 20, 2012 11:23AM) (new)

John | 3 comments Mod
Thank you for checking out this new group. That said, I'd like break it in by posting a shameless plug for my small press's two new books. They are both reprints of epic poems by notable formalist poet, Frederic Turner.

The first is The New World , ISBN: 978-0983300205.

The Library Journal says: "This epic poem of love and war, redemption and death is a brilliant achievement that should win for its author (a former editor of the Kenyon Review) wide critical acclaim. Metrically similar to the Iliad and the Aeneid, it blends the heroic, comic, and lyric styles. In 2376 A.D., nation-states have been replaced by new political forms: the Riots, incestuous, violent matriar chies whose citizens, addicted to psychedelic joyjuice, are nearly illiterate; the Burbs, descendants of the old mid dle classes, now slaves to the Riots; the Mad Counties, composed of religious fanatics who are waging a holy war against the Free Counties, independent Jeffersonian democracies. The hero, James George Quincy, seeks to discover ``a third mode of . . . commitment that transcends the contemporary dilemma of fanatical blind faith and af fectless hedonistic relativism."

The other book is Genesis: An Epic Poem of the Terraforming of Mars , ISBN: 978-0983300229.

In Genesis, the UN appoints Chance Van Riebeck to lead a scientific survey of Mars. Using theories derived from the Gaia Hypothesis, his team clandestinely introduces genetically tailored bacteria into the Martian environment to begin transforming the planet into one habitable by human beings.

Earth is under the theocratic rule of the Ecotheist Movement, which divides human beings from the rest of nature. The Ecotheists regard all human interference with nature as evil; therefore, they consider the transformation of Mars to be a criminal act. So they capture Chance and his followers and put them on trial, which leads to war between the Martian colonists and Earth.

To complete their terraforming project, the colonists must locate the secret Lima Codex, which contains a genetic inventory of all Earthly lifeforms. The Codex is hidden somewhere on Earth, and their agents must hunt it down before the Ecotheists find it first.
The colonists, desperate for independence, threaten to drop a moonlet on the Earth, which would annihilate the planet. To save Earth, the Ecotheists agree to a truce that they have no intention of honoring—for they are plotting a sneak attack that will destroy both the colonists and the Codex.

Genesis is an ambitious tale filled with visionary ideas; peopled with prophets, fanatics, traitors, and tortured heroes; and taut with conflicts that mirror the moral issues we face today.

Originally published in 1988, Genesis was the first major work of fiction that not only addressed the idea of terraforming Mars, but suggested a feasible solution for doing so. During its initial publication, Genesis was on the list of recommended reading at NASA, and has since gone on to enjoy cult status. Its acknowledged list of admirers includes such literary luminaries as Brian Aldiss, Amy Clampitt, Arthur C. Clarke, Thomas M. Disch, Kim Stanley Robinson, and Pulitzer Prize winning poet, James Merrill.

Both books are available in trade paperback, ePub, and Kindle editions. You can download free samples of each from my website at http://www.iliumpress.com.

Good reading to you all!
Thank you,
John Lemon
Owner, Ilium Press

message 2: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) | 6 comments I've downloaded samples of these - intrigued to see science fiction epic, and what seems to be a serious attempt, true poetry, ambitious to be a revival of epic?
Since I'm an old sf fan and deeply into epic, I figure those two must have things in common.