Connecting Readers and Writers discussion

Writer's Station > What are your thoughts on doing an audio book?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Everly (new)

Everly Anders | 207 comments Mod
There has been some chatter about whether it is a good idea try turn your book into an audio book or not. No one really seemed to have the answer, so I thought I would give it a try. My latest short story Displaced, was nice and short, so I decided to hire someone to read it as an audio book. I put it on my website as a free download.
http://ellelapraim.com/books/
I have had several people download it. The hope is that if you give them something for free, they will be introduced to your style as an author and want to buy your other work. I just put it up, so I will keep you guys posted on how it goes. I think the narrator did a good job, but of course, it could be better. I think if this is successful, I am going to buy a condenser mic and try to read it myself. I am a huge David Sedaris fan, and he reads his own work. It might turn out awful, but I want to give it a try. That way, I will be the one deciding on passing and voices.
Anyone try doing an audio book yet?

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane Castle (dianecastle) | 19 comments Good luck! I've been thinking about it, but I would have to do it myself, and I'm not sure I have a good reading voice. Let us know how it goes!

message 3: by Gillian (new)

Gillian Andrews (httpwwwgoodreadscomandrews) | 15 comments I have recorded both my books as audiobooks (podcasts) and they are up on Podiobooks. This is a great site, run by Evo Terra, and has got me noticed, with over 25,000 downloads of the episodes.

I am only very new at all this, and that hasn't translated as yet into sales, but it did get me recognition through the Parsec Awards, so I think it was really worth it. I also like the idea of having the books free in one medium at least, as a good marketing strategy.

The only thing is, I hate my voice, and it takes a long time to do all the recording and the editing afterwards on Audacity. Still, definitely worth it in my opinion.

message 4: by Everly (new)

Gillian wrote: "I have recorded both my books as audiobooks (podcasts) and they are up on Podiobooks. This is a great site, run by Evo Terra, and has got me noticed, with over 25,000 downloads of the episodes.
..."

Wow, that is great. Thank you Gillian for all the helpful hints. I will have to check that out, never heard of it. I have the opposite. I had someone read it and now I am thinking about reading the next one myself, but we will see how it sounds.

message 5: by Ward (new)

Ward (kd_pl) What program did you use to make the recording, Audacity?

message 6: by Everly (new)

Ward wrote: "What program did you use to make the recording, Audacity?"

I actually hired someone off Elance.com to do it, so I am not sure what editing software they used.

message 7: by Jack (new)

Jack Jr. | 15 comments I am going to be using audacity to record my novel. I have a friend that has a great voice for recording purposes too.

I found a site that is great for indies that do audio recordings. You can even hire a voice actor for 50% of the sales if you don't have the money to pay up front. Here is the link: http://www.acx.com/

message 8: by Ron (new)

Ron Heimbecher (RonHeimbecher) | 42 comments I've got several projects that are ideal but I'm holding off for a bit. The biggest challenge to a writer getting his/her head around audio is coming to terms with an audio book and a reading book being two completely different animals.

With reading books (whether paper or "e") your toolbox is limited to your words. Some could argue that a writer's voice is an important tool, but it is voice that is built ONLY with words. Everything about it is based on the writer's ability to craft strings of letters into something that touches hearts, enlightens, and -- oh yeah -- entertains.

The toolbox used for the construction of an audiobook starts with the same foundation, then expands with voice, nuance, hesitation, emotion, rapid-fire dictation, sorrowful pouts, heavy breathing, and a complete re-genesis of the story through the interpretation of the voice talent.

And -- oh, yeah -- it's entertaining.

I've heard a few famous authors read their own work. I can't remember one I found entertaining. An awkward pause when they come across they wish they could have changed. A stumble on that character's name that looked so enticing on the page but impossible to pronounce.

I think probably the biggest reason to use professional actors is that their voices are every bit the finely crafted musical instrument that a Stradivarius violin or a Bosendorfer piano is.

A couple of years ago, I lost my singing and acting voices to encephalitis... but part of me still has that burning urge...

I love audio books, for several years I commuted a couple of hours every day to work, and about 18-20 hours a month between Denver and Colorado Springs as VP and President of Pikes Peak Writers. In that time I listened to just about everything on disc that our local college library had to offer.

AND FELL MADLY for the writing of Janet Evanovich and Grandma Masur... There are two distinctly different actors who read in the series but both are are unique, hilarious, and hugely entertaining.

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Mccook (aly3008) | 10 comments I've been thinking about this for a while - a friend who listens obsessively to audiobooks wnated to be able to get mine - but I've held off because I'm fairly certian the ins and outs of it are all way above my head. Plus I've made so many mistakes with ebook, paperback, marketing etc. already that I reckon trying audiobooks as well would just be asking for more trouble to come down on my head! Maybe I'll wait until my second book comes out and reconsider then. In the meantime - thanks so much for sharing your experiences, I'll be keeping note of all the links for the future. Wishing you all well.

AShley