Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) Angelfall discussion

Am I the only one who thinks that Angelfall was a bit far-fetched at the end ?

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ioana (last edited Feb 20, 2012 04:47AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ioana  Danila Ok, so please don't start at me. I really loved the book. I read in in about a day and a half. I thought it was funny, it had a good plot, plenty of nice, touching moments and all and I really loved the characters. It was an amazing read, honestly.
The only thing which spoiled it a bit was the end though. I mean, (view spoiler)It just made it so less realistic... and maybe even weird. Idk...I just... I alone think this ?

Delilah With me it is different.

The whole (view spoiler) was pretty much obvious to me once we got to see more about the angel culture. It made so much sense to me that they would do such dreadful things. Especially as a while before (view spoiler).

★Ruth★ I guess like Delilah I kinda saw the sister thing coming too but at the end of the day it was all very far fetched and I just suspended reality for the duration and enjoyed it for what it was. For me the romance part actually fell a bit short I wasn't as invested in it as with some other books..having said that the story has really stayed with me and I'm eagerly looking forward to the next installment.

Jennifer It actually reminded me a lot of Joss Whedon (was I the only one that watched and really liked Dollhouse?) or X-Files, or other sci-fi dystopia. I guess it didn't seem that over the top to me, though I do agree with you about part of it (view spoiler).

★Ruth★ Ah i love Joss Whedon Don't understand why all his stuff gets canceled..dollhouse firefly etc :(

message 6: by Ioana (last edited Feb 20, 2012 07:52AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ioana  Danila I don't know... I kinda had a hunch too that the plot was going to take on a different path when the (view spoiler) appeared, I just didn't expect (view spoiler), that's all. And although I found it weird enough, like Ruth I " suspended reality " and kept on reading.
I still think that it would have been better without the freaky thinks, and Jennifer, yeah, there was a (view spoiler) That one was pretty creepy :))
Thank you all for answering >:D< I feel less lonely

message 7: by Anthony (last edited Mar 22, 2012 06:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anthony Cardenas Dawn wrote: "Ok, so please don't start at me. I really loved the book. I read in in about a day and a half. I thought it was funny, it had a good plot, plenty of nice, touching moments and all and I really love..."

I think the entire book is far fetched, actually. In a good way, of course. :) I mean, Angels lay waste the planet Earth and then torment the survivors. The subject matter is so beyond belief that one has to just immerse themselves in it and surrender completely to the story.

As for the ending...it certainly does go into some very dark places. Of which, i'm glad. I mean, the Angels (for reasons still unknown) have conquered the Earth. They refer to human beings as "monkeys". They're not nice. And then are (possibly) doing things to bring Hell to earth. Maybe that's what's happening. Maybe this is all a "Hell on Earth" kind of scenario we're looking at. Not sure. Who knows. We need to wait for the next book to really find out more (I hope!).

message 8: by Jenny (last edited Mar 22, 2012 04:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenny It's a fantasy! I loved it.

message 9: by Hera (new)

Hera Oh good i did read the same novel, i thought it was very very odd to chuck in the thing that happened at the end. In fact i don't get it, why was it there? What were they for? What did it have to do with anything. Did i read the same book, why is it getting five stars?? HELP!!!

message 10: by Amos (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amos Cassidy Reality takes a running jump out of the window and off we go on a roller-coaster ride where anything is possible. I loved the ending! I love the direction the book took and am excited to see what Susan Ee cooks up for book 2.

message 11: by Ioana (last edited Apr 03, 2012 12:34AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ioana  Danila Gasp. H wrote: "Oh good i did read the same novel, i thought it was very very odd to chuck in the thing that happened at the end. In fact i don't get it, why was it there? What were they for? What did it have to d..."
Um... I don't really remember well but I reckon (view spoiler) I don't really get the purpose in that but hey, it's a war, isn't it? Maybe the author said something about it but I just can't remember. Oh, and for the (view spoiler) Anyway I have a weird mix of feelings towards this. While I've found it far-fetched at the ending, I really want to know what's going to happen next and I'll definitely read the next one :D. Regardless of the weird stuff, the book was good and very well written so yeah :D

message 12: by Ain (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ain Hey, it's a dystopian novel, so if badass angels exist, I say that nothing can be too farfetched.

I'm really excited to see where Susan will take all these weirdness to in the next book~

Frau Sorge (Yuki) Ain wrote: "Hey, it's a dystopian novel, so if badass angels exist, I say that nothing can be too farfetched.
"

Ditto. I've had some issues with this, but, like you said, these 'weirdness' are tempting:)

Stefanie Really enjoyed the read, but too X-filed at the end!

Anthony Cardenas You know, upon reflection, the one thing that did seem 'far fetched'...was the Angel scientists wearing lab coats. When i read that, i was like "Why would an Angel, scientist or otherwise, even bother wearing a labcoat? They have wings, it would suck because then they would have to make special little slits in the back, and for what? Just so that they can wear little white lab coats?"

That part confounded me a little, but as I said earlier, the entire novel seems to have a mythology that we've only had hints about, and we still don't know the true purpose of the Angels on earth, etc., so there may be a compelling reason for the "experimentation" stuff.

Becca Ruth wrote: "Ah i love Joss Whedon Don't understand why all his stuff gets canceled..dollhouse firefly etc :("
Me too! i loved Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I think he is actually help doing that one scary movie, Sorry i forgot what is was called though lol.

message 17: by Georg (last edited Apr 23, 2012 12:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Georg To me the moment the wheelchair appeared it seemed obvious that (view spoiler). That she has been (view spoiler) was just ridiculous to me. I can relate to the need to create a way to (view spoiler) but I think it is some kind of deus ex machina that (view spoiler).
That Penryn didn't (view spoiler) was questionable. I as a reader knew it at once.

I didn't like the scene in the lab. Why would God's messengers need such complicated methods to (view spoiler)?

I won't complain because it is just fantasy and there is allowed anything but I agree, it's far-fetched.

message 18: by C.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.D. Hussey I wasn't crazy about the spoiler everyone's complaining about either. I have my own theories about where the author is going with it all, and it won't keep me from reading the next one, but yeah, not what I expected and I felt kinda meh about it.

Meishuu Frankly, the whole book is far fetched.

message 20: by S.L.J. (last edited Jun 01, 2012 01:18PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

S.L.J. I think the big twist to the series will show that they aren't angels at all. They're actually aliens pretending to be angels. ^^

Ioana  Danila S.L.J. wrote: "I think the big twist to the series will show that they aren't angels at all. They're actually aliens pretending to be angels. ^^"
Oh God:)) That'd be a huge blow. Nice:)

S.L.J. Dawn wrote: "S.L.J. wrote: "I think the big twist to the series will show that they aren't angels at all. They're actually aliens pretending to be angels. ^^"
Oh God:)) That'd be a huge blow. Nice:)"

It would certianly explain all the experiments and why the angels are such weaklings.

Busra i only didnt like the end because i have to wait for more until the next book comes out... :P

it makes me keep wondering what happend to Penryn's sister really, why did they do that?

And i want more romance between Raffe and Penryn and it frustrates me, but also satisfies me that Susan Ee didnt give too much away with the first book..

Its smart, she knows how to keep the people 'bounded'

so i dont think its far-fetched, it only gives you more to think about, atleast it gives me a lot to think about...

message 24: by KB (new) - rated it 5 stars

KB I don't think it was far-fetched at all. Angels coming to wage war on humans is far-fetched in itself. I think with books in the same genre as Angelfall, there's no such thing as far-fetched since it's a fantasy. Anything can happen.

What I'm wanting to find out is how Penryn and her mom will (view spoiler)

message 25: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma i think the point of making the end dramatic and confusing is to keep the readers hanging and begging for answers --- so of course we'll buy the sequel. which by the way, doesn't even have a release date yet and that is so extremely aggravating >.<

message 26: by Tegan (last edited Jul 09, 2012 09:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tegan I love books where the hero believes that the heroine is dead when actually she's alive, it may make me sound horrible, but that's just me. I cannot wait for Penryn and Raffe's reunion!! How will he react? This is probably my FAVOURITE Book so far.... Anyone else's views?

ღ ℂℎℴℕ₳ ღ Musicsoul26 wrote: "I love books where the hero believes that the heroine is dead when actually she's alive, it may make me sound horrible, but that's just me. I cannot wait for Penryn and Raffe's reunion!! How will ..."

Same here..I can't wait for Penryn & Raffe's Reunion..I bet Penryn's mother will be so happy to see her daughter hugging Raffe while flapping his bat like wings..

Alexandra I think that my only problem with the book (which was really hardly a problem) was the suddenness of the ending. Sort of like a cliffhanger without that statement that really makes it a cliffhanger. I loved how the hero thought the heroine was dead, and the really messed up group that Penryn ended up departing with, but...I don't know, I expected something more of an ending with a bang rather than an ending where she's having all these sentimental feelings. Anyway, it really wasn't that big of a deal, and the book was awesome, so I'll definitely be awaiting the sequel.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

It could just be me, but I thought the whole book was seriously creepy, so I just ended up going along with it. After the conversation between the two parents, and the dead girl hanging from the tree, I figured the 'lower demons' were children, although the scorpion angels were pretty random. Overall, I liked the whole book, even the ending.

Annie I liked the rest of the book minus the end . Something about the scorpians and the freaky kids with the stitches was a little to much for me, it was so awful it reminded me of the human catipillar. I can see how that its a fantasy dystopian novel with evil creepy angels which I guess means anything can happen, but I feel like the author could have picked an equally fantastical ending that wasnt so grossly creepy. The end kind of ruined the whole book for me.

Bookworm No, you are not alone.... I was liking the book till the middle but after the well... spoiler alert ... I stopped reading it. I would have preferred the book to not have a sequel. It wasn't just far-fetched it almost seemed like a different beginning altogether.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

it was far fetched with changing penryn's sister but i loved it and badly want raffe in the next book with penryn just to see how he reacts when she's alive!

ʙᴇʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。. I loved the ending but I really thought that Raffe would at least try to feel her heartbeat OR try to listen to it since he can hear better than a human at long distance. He didnt do that and honestly that was a plot hole, but other than that, I loved every second of it. Next book Im rooting for them to meet*.*

message 34: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 04, 2012 03:50AM) (new)

When the author described Penryn's little sister as being like, grotesquely deformed and stitched up I was actually surprised. I thought when the angels took her like, they were going to just try to put wings on her or something. I wasn't expecting such a weird lab experiment to be going on. Did anybody else get why the half angel things had scorpion tails? I was kind of confused at the end to be honest.

Oh, and I thought it was a little silly that Raffe just kind of like, accepted that Penryn was dead from one sting in the neck? I mean, he didn't even try to like delve into what the scorpion-things were being used for or what effects that had on humans. It seemed a little far-fetched that he would just dump Penryn off with her family, coming to the hasty conclusion that she was dead from one poker sting. >_>

Sarah I don't think this book would've been the same without those freak out moments. If you can accept that angels are destroying the world then surely those creepy bits aren't much more of a stretch, besides they're what really make this book memorable especially for a sci-fi junky like myself. :P

Meishuu The more I read this book the more I dislike it :( I used to liked it.

message 37: by Erika (last edited Sep 06, 2012 08:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erika I thought to many questions went unanswered like why did the angels attack mankind, what exactly is Raffe's story, the dad's story, and why the experiments? Or did I just miss all that? It just seemed the author left the foundation of the story off and jumped right to the middle. I will read book 2 if for nothing more than to fill in the blanks!

message 38: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn @Dawn: Haha yeah, I understand what you mean. I think it depends on how morbid you are. XD Personally I just enjoyed that the little sister became more than useless at the end.

Kat Phipps My big question is which way did Raffe go in for his surgery? Surely, if he saw all that crap he would not have agreed to be put under for his surgery. I'm sure we all saw Layla coming when she asked for the wings first. There was a huge history between Layla and Raffe that was not pleasant. Did Raffe trust the all white angel to look out for him? Raffe is so intelligent....why would he not ask to see his wings before Blondie knocks him out. Was he ambushed? It just didn't read right. It was a rookie mistake. Personally, I like the new wings better.

Ninab (Honesty is the Best Policy) It might feel far-fetched because it's contrary to the typical notions of angels as all powerful benevolent beings. Rather, as Raffe says, angels are violent creatures. And some are evil, and do evil things like conduct experimentation on human children. It doesn't necessarily need a reason, though I have my own thoughts about it (like a way to scare and kill off humans, and a way to discredit Raffe and his campaign against nephilium since the angels out of the loop seem to think the low demons are nephilium). Same for the scorpion angels.

And I too like Raffe's new wings, which would be much more useful in a fight than those fluffy down ones.

WinterRose I think just the right amount was given to us, but enough was left open for future books. I think Susan said it's like a 6 book series in all. Angelfall's main focus/plot was Penryn finding her sister. By the end, we get that, but also bits and pieces about the world. For me it was enough. Leaves me satisfied for the first book, but also curious for what's in store.

Rashika (is tired) welll hey its fantasy as well so its going to be a little far stretched.
what annoyed me was that raffe was the archangel raphael, it would have been nicer if that wasnt the case.

Samantha Dawn wrote: "Ok, so please don't start at me. I really loved the book. I read in in about a day and a half. I thought it was funny, it had a good plot, plenty of nice, touching moments and all and I really love..."

Dawn, the lab experiments of piles and piles of children on the one side of the basement was creepy. But what they did to the children was a bit far-fetched. Razor-blades as teeth? A new thirst for human blood? I think the human blood thirst could be explained later in the next two books but the razor-blade teeth is kind of weird and like in one passage:

"I hear Paige grunting as she climbs into the truck. No one helps her. She bends over to pick me up again.

She smiles a little when she looks at me, but it turns into a wince once it gets big enough to shift her stitches. I catch a glimpse of raw meat fibers caught in her even rows of razor teeth.

I think that's the only think that was troubling me about the ending.

message 44: by Temple Rose (new) - added it

Temple Rose When it gt to the scopian tailed angle things it gt weird interesting bt weird im sure it will all make sense in the end

message 45: by Jake (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jake Yeah, I found allot of the things at the end of Angelfall to be quite farfetched. The sister being the subject of an experiment and the weird scorpion tailed creatures were all too much and completely ruined the book for me.

Debra Lochridge Although, I don't think the ending was far fetched to me, but rather, and interesting turn of events. I did not expect those things to happen. The second half of the book was a game changer for me. It is what made me really love the book. Even in my dreams I couldn't come with such things! Most books stay on a safe, predictable path but it's the books with the twists and "far fetched" ideas that stay with me. I dunno, personally, I just loved it. <3 Raffe!

Linda Hodge I agree that the ending was very far fetched. But it was a great read anyway. I read it in one day..

Lauren Jake wrote: "Yeah, I found allot of the things at the end of Angelfall to be quite farfetched. The sister being the subject of an experiment and the weird scorpion tailed creatures were all too much and comple..."

I agree. I enjoyed most of Angelfall, but the ending was a bit too horror-esque for my liking. I think I recall reading at the back of the book (in the ‘about the author’ section) that Susan Ee enjoys horror films; maybe this has influenced her writing.

Sophie I liked the ending - it portrayed just how messed up the angels were, and how different Raffe was from the rest. I loved the entire book - it is one of the few apocalyptic books I have read - I normally read Dystopian, and that is as close as I get. I bought it off Amazon, and had it finished in 4 hours! I just couldn't put my Kindle down. It was amazing :)