Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Mistress of the Art of Death (Mistress of the Art of Death, #1)
This topic is about Mistress of the Art of Death
Serieses! > series order for combined translation editions

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elke (misspider) | 76 comments I still have problems understanding the series functionality. I added a german series "Die Totenleserin" to the german translation http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33..., which is combined with the original english edition.

Then, on the details page I moved up the series in order, to show "Die Totenleserin #1" with the german book instead of the english series title. But this seems to change the order and thus the series shown on the details page for all editions of this book, not only the one I edited. How can I differentiate between the individual books and their series title, i.e. have the 'main' series shown on the details page in the same language as the edition? For the abovementioned book, I would like to have:
Die Totenleserin (Die Totenleserin #1) instead of
Die Totenleserin (Mistress of the Art of Death #1).

Does it make a difference if I combine translations first and then create a series for that language or do it the other way round?

message 2: by Sandra (last edited Feb 20, 2012 03:52AM) (new)

Sandra | 23205 comments Elke, are the german books in a different order to the english ones?

And you cannot change the german books to have the german series first and still have the english books have the english series first.

The db just doesn't work that way. It makes no difference when you combine the books, the default book will always take precedence. (Not sure if the english or the german is the default, but I'm presuming its the english). Unless you specify the order you want ie english then german or german then english.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42031 comments Mod
Also, unless the German and English books DO have a different order, which does not appear to be the case here, please do NOT create a separate series for each.

Elke (misspider) | 76 comments ok, that makes it clear to me. As the series numbers are the same, I will remove the german series title.

Though it would be helpful for readers to know the series title in the same language their edition is written in. I'm thinking about adding that information in the series notes field, would that make sense?

message 5: by Lacrima_Atra (last edited Feb 21, 2012 05:30AM) (new)

Lacrima_Atra | 98 comments You could add the German series name in the title of the respective German edition, like we used to do before the series feature existed. This wouldn't affect the other editions. The German series would then show up, if you look at the book in your library, but not on the book page (I guess on the book pages, a created series has priority).

Elke (misspider) | 76 comments Possible, but I don't like the idea of putting series information into the book title (as was done before the series feature was implemented).

Researching similar books I found this one where the series contains two titles in german (original) and english: http://www.goodreads.com/series/52001.... That doesn't look right to me, either.

I still prefer my last suggestion to add foreign series titles in the series notes field, to at least have it stored somewhere, but not as prominent a place as in the book title.

message 7: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Elke wrote: "Though it would be helpful for readers to know the series title in the same language their edition is written in. I'm thinking about adding that information in the series notes field, would that make sense?"

Yes, this the way it's often done when a series is available under multiple names: one name is chosen as the main series name and the others are listed in the series description. (Here's an example.)

Elke (misspider) | 76 comments Cait wrote:Yes, this the way it's often done when a series is available under multiple names: one name is chosen as the main series name and the others are listed in the series description.

That is just what I meant...will keep the example for further reference. Thanks!

Elke (misspider) | 76 comments As an afternote, it would be nice to have the language added in the notes, like "Ayla (german)" for the above mentioned example. Guess language is obvious for a lot of entries, but sometimes not, e.g. when a name is used for the series.