Darynda Jones Fans discussion

TGDA Book Discussion > Day 5 ~ Chapters 1-3 Question #1

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana, Founder (new)

Dana Alma (readaholics) | 1174 comments Mod
What did you think about Charley's visit to the prison and the intense atmosphere between Charley and Reyes in the flesh?

message 2: by Shaz (new)

Shaz wow, it was very intense, after seeing Reyes in flesh, because of all those weird feelings that Charley's been getting that someone is their watching her every move, also remembering how she met Reyes after soo long. :)

message 3: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Charley was so nervous seeing him but also so drawn to him. Reyes anger vibrated off of him...I was proud of Charlie for not releasing him from his corporal body and sticking to her beliefs. Reyes needs to learn to include her before making decisions. I hope they learn from this and their relationship grows...

message 4: by Dana, Founder (new)

When he pulled her chair closer to the table, I got the tinglies all over! Darynda did a superb job of getting the scene just right, the pages vibrated with the awe of seeing Reyes for the first time. I admit, I did some major melting here. LOL

Traci (Mad Hatter Reads) (traci-madhatterreads) | 609 comments Mod
Mel wrote: "Charley was so nervous seeing him but also so drawn to him. Reyes anger vibrated off of him...I was proud of Charlie for not releasing him from his corporal body and sticking to her beliefs. Reye..."

I couldn't agree more Mel!

message 6: by Dana, Founder (new)

Mel wrote: "Charley was so nervous seeing him but also so drawn to him. Reyes anger vibrated off of him...I was proud of Charlie for not releasing him from his corporal body and sticking to her beliefs. Reye..."

Mel, you are so right!

message 7: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Dana wrote: "Mel wrote: "Charley was so nervous seeing him but also so drawn to him. Reyes anger vibrated off of him...I was proud of Charlie for not releasing him from his corporal body and sticking to her be..."

It couldn't have been easy being near him...it took guts!

message 8: by Dana, Founder (new)

Mel wrote: "Dana wrote: "Mel wrote: "Charley was so nervous seeing him but also so drawn to him. Reyes anger vibrated off of him...I was proud of Charlie for not releasing him from his corporal body and stick..."

I think I would have fainted, if it were me, Mel.

Traci (Mad Hatter Reads) (traci-madhatterreads) | 609 comments Mod
Dana wrote: "I think I would have fainted, if it were me, Mel..."

I would have been shaking, upset stomach, and most likely stuttering. Charley's got WAY more guts than I do :)

message 10: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments I am a wimp and a cry baby...I would not have even made it into the jail. :-(

message 11: by Dana, Founder (new)

Mel wrote: "I am a wimp and a cry baby...I would not have even made it into the jail. :-("

Traci wrote: "Dana wrote: "I think I would have fainted, if it were me, Mel..."

I would have been shaking, upset stomach, and most likely stuttering. Charley's got WAY more guts than I do :)"

Charley is our hero! I bet Cindy would done a bang up job! LOL

message 12: by Lisa Hoang (new)

Lisa Hoang (theconsummatereader) | 47 comments Mod
that was a super tense moment. it was nerve-wrecking for charley for sure. it's been at least 10 years since they've last seen each other and now the attraction and chemistry is stronger than ever. kinda wished reyes would let his guard down a little for charley to see the real reyes. :(

message 13: by Dana, Founder (new)

Lisa wrote: "that was a super tense moment. it was nerve-wrecking for charley for sure. it's been at least 10 years since they've last seen each other and now the attraction and chemistry is stronger than ever...."

I agree with you, Lisa. Jones is just going to keep us on a tight rope for a while longer. I can't wait for book 4.

message 14: by Shaz (new)

Shaz Dana wrote: "Lisa wrote: "that was a super tense moment. it was nerve-wrecking for charley for sure. it's been at least 10 years since they've last seen each other and now the attraction and chemistry is strong..."
4 books..OMG, can't wait. :)

message 15: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Lisa wrote: "that was a super tense moment. it was nerve-wrecking for charley for sure. it's been at least 10 years since they've last seen each other and now the attraction and chemistry is stronger than ever...."

Ditto Lisa...I would have loved for him to show some longing for Charlie in that scene. He was so tense and irritable. It is nice when a girl feels desired. Reyes usually shows Charlie his desire through his incorporeal body. In person, he is protective of her but clearly does not trust her enough to let go. I wonder why?

message 16: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments Mel wrote: "...Reyes usually shows Charlie his desire through his incorporeal body. In person, he is protective of her but clearly does not trust her enough to let go. I wonder why?"

I'm not sure about the reason but the first time they had sex, she saw a lot of things through him. Maybe he's afraid she'll figure a lot more out because in flesh it would be easier to lose control? Just an idea.

message 17: by Dana, Founder (new)

Hmmm....

message 18: by Candie (new)

Candie (candiegyrl) | 350 comments Mod
Mel wrote: "Lisa wrote: "that was a super tense moment. it was nerve-wrecking for charley for sure. it's been at least 10 years since they've last seen each other and now the attraction and chemistry is strong..."

I'm very worried that since Angel and Rocket are very scared of him and do not like him that he will turn out to be bad for Charlie. I know I'm a worry wort, but he is the Son of Satan. lol

message 19: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Candie wrote: "Mel wrote: "Lisa wrote: "that was a super tense moment. it was nerve-wrecking for charley for sure. it's been at least 10 years since they've last seen each other and now the attraction and chemist..."

Candie, you bring up a great point about all the other ghosts fearing Reyes. I don't think we have discussed it in too much depth since we all love Reyes so much. It would be a great topic for a discussion. Maybe Dana could put it up as one of the questions. We should think about it is important but what it means, I do not know.

message 20: by Candie (new)

Mel wrote: "Candie wrote: "Mel wrote: "Lisa wrote: "that was a super tense moment. it was nerve-wrecking for charley for sure. it's been at least 10 years since they've last seen each other and now the attract..."

That would be a fun topic! I don't know what I would do if he really is the BIG BAD. EEEK! *smh*

message 21: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Candie wrote: "Mel wrote: "Candie wrote: "Mel wrote: "Lisa wrote: "that was a super tense moment. it was nerve-wrecking for charley for sure. it's been at least 10 years since they've last seen each other and now..."

Candie, Reyes is the "Big Bad" of Charlie's youth. Think of her perception as a child and how she would see this big dark, powerful, shadowy thing come to avenge and protect her any time she was in trouble. He was able to kill with one rapid slice of a blade and stop moving vehicles. Plus, in Reyes youth, he did not have complete control over his powers and did not understand what he was. His human form would go into convulsions every time he left his body to go to Charlie (according to Reyes's sister). Reyes also kept his face hidden under a black cloak until recently. Any child would fear a dark, cloaked presence with such powers.

Unfortunately, this does not explain why all ghosts fear Reyes so much. In his human form, he has only been kind to good beings. He kills to protect.

I hope I helped.... :-)

message 22: by Candie (new)

Mel- I did know that Reyes was the cloaked figure that she was afraid of growing up. What I meant was what if he's not Charley's HEA. I was just playing on the nickname. Sorry you had to type all of that! So much for trying to be funny. haha

message 23: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments Mel wrote: "Candie wrote: "Mel wrote: "Candie wrote: "Mel wrote: "Lisa wrote: "that was a super tense moment. it was nerve-wrecking for charley for sure. it's been at least 10 years since they've last seen eac..."

I think everybody is afraid of Reyes because he's super powerful (more than his father) and obviously lethal: ..He rose through the ranks quickly, becoming a great and respected leader. Second only to his father, he commanded millions of soldiers, a general among thieves, even more beautiful and powerful than his father, with the key to the gates of hell scored into his body. But his father’s pride would not be subdued. He wanted the heavens. He wanted complete control over every living thing in the universe. He wanted God’s throne. Reyes followed his father’s every command, waited and watched for a portal to be born upon the Earth, a direct passage to heaven, a way out of hell. A tracker of flawless stealth and skill, he forged through the gates of the underworld and found the portals in the farthest reaches of the universe.

So he knows where the portals are, he's immensely powerful and he did lead millions of soldiers against the angels (who apparently have fought before in a previous war as well). He does say that he's not a puppet of Satan and can do what he wants. He actually seems ashamed of what he did in the past: He lowered his chin as if ashamed. "That was a long time ago". And he seems to have a new purpose as he said he would kill Charley before the demons used her to reach the heavens.

I do think he will end helping to secure the portals, the thing is that his past won't cause any sympathy for any angel/soul and they are right to be frightened. Moreover, he knows where the portals are. And since Satan created him, maybe he has some control over him since he knows he's on Earth. But yes, he's kind to his friends, and children like him. That has to be positive!

message 24: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Ines wrote: "Mel wrote: "Candie wrote: "Mel wrote: "Candie wrote: "Mel wrote: "Lisa wrote: "that was a super tense moment. it was nerve-wrecking for charley for sure. it's been at least 10 years since they've l..."

Ines, what pages are these passages from? I would like to go back and re-read the couple of chapters around it so I can better remember. Thanks for helping. :-)

message 25: by Ines (new)

Ines (slayraa) | 684 comments Mel wrote: "Ines wrote: "Mel wrote: "Candie wrote: "Mel wrote: "Candie wrote: "Mel wrote: "Lisa wrote: "that was a super tense moment. it was nerve-wrecking for charley for sure. it's been at least 10 years si..."

So the passage I wrote previously was from the 1st book, chapter 20 around page 243 (ebook) right after they make love.

In the meantime I also found the passage where he says he's not his father's puppet:

“I understand that. You’re not like him. But I was told your incorporeal body is like an anchor and without it, you’ll lose your humanity. That you’ll become exactly what he wants you to be.”
“How is it you believe everything you hear about me, yet nothing I tell you?”
“That’s not true,” I said, clutching a throw pillow to my chest. “You’ve told me you don’t know what’ll happen if you die. I’m simply trying to find out.”
“Yet everything you hear is negative. Catastrophic.” He eyed me from underneath his lashes and whispered, “A lie.”
“You just told me why you were created. That wasn’t a lie.”
“My father created me for one reason. It doesn’t make me his puppet. And it damn sure doesn’t make me the fucking Antichrist.” He turned from me, his anger rising quickly to overtake his frustration.

This bit of from the 2nd book, chapter 7 and around page 96 in the ebook.

Hope it really helps! I knew there as a "puppet" somewhere in book 2 lol

message 26: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Candie wrote: "Mel- I did know that Reyes was the cloaked figure that she was afraid of growing up. What I meant was what if he's not Charley's HEA. I was just playing on the nickname. Sorry you had to type all o..."

Never a problem, Candie...sorry I misunderstood. :-)

message 27: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Ines wrote: "Mel wrote: "Ines wrote: "Mel wrote: "Candie wrote: "Mel wrote: "Candie wrote: "Mel wrote: "Lisa wrote: "that was a super tense moment. it was nerve-wrecking for charley for sure. it's been at least..."

Thank you, Ines! :-)