easy peasy reading group discussion

april read

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 381 comments Mod
well decided to base it on waterstones 11 reads for 2012 so maybe something in there for this all and put the poll up already

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 206 comments I didn't realise waterstones had a list. I've got my eye on one or two already!

message 3: by Stephen (new)

yes they did this last year too with 11 reads

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 206 comments This isn't the book I voted for but, a collegue is currently reading and loving it. I might even get a chance to borrow so don't have to buy it - Yay me!

message 6: by JackieB (new)

JackieB | 123 comments I think I will have to sit this out. I'd have to get it through an interlibrary loan, which will probably take until June to get to me. I am back on the wagon as far as buying new books are concerned.

message 7: by Booksdingle (last edited Mar 28, 2012 01:53PM) (new)

Booksdingle | 186 comments This sounds interesting - I have been off the boil last few months, started lots of books, finished few, not the groups choice just been useless with reading in general. But I am going back to work at Tredegar House next week (we are being taken over by the National Trust this season so all change), but library 10 metres from me and lunch breaks out in the park under the trees so reading should pick up again.

message 8: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 163 comments I don't think we've got this one stashed anywhere, so may need to ask the library to get it for me.

message 9: by Stephen (new)

I have already got it ordered at library btw for angela its also out on an audiobook as the library told me

message 10: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 163 comments I've just looked on line for the book in Luton Libraries, but they don't seem to have it! Grrr!!

message 11: by Stephen (new)

Angela wrote: "I've just looked on line for the book in Luton Libraries, but they don't seem to have it! Grrr!!"

they didnt have it in my library so ordered it for library to buy it and so far every book asked for they have brought so far, loving the book I have started today mud sweat & gears : cycling from land's end to john o'groats ( via the pub) by ellie bennett

message 12: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 163 comments Oh, I'll ask in the library and see if they're as obliging!

message 13: by Booksdingle (new)

Booksdingle | 186 comments ours is usually obliging - takes a while to get some new releases but I've made suggestions before which have been bought - if they are on a list of recommended reads somewhere it helps!

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 206 comments I realise that I'm a bit behind with The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, since it was our book for April, but now that I've read it, I highly recommend that if anyone else in the group has not picked it up yet, then give it a go. It's heartwarming and that rare thing; an easy read that also makes you think.

message 15: by Booksdingle (new)

Booksdingle | 186 comments Thanks for your thoughts Chris, you haver reminded me that I meant to read it - I think I will now as it sounds interesting, so it seems you are not as far behind with it as me. I did read Jubilee though and intend to read Calico Joe! So many books so little time.....

message 16: by Booksdingle (last edited Jun 21, 2012 01:44AM) (new)

Booksdingle | 186 comments Angela wrote: "Oh, I'll ask in the library and see if they're as obliging!"

Angela - I don't know if your area has a similar scheme but in Newport we have a book loaning scheme called Books4U which basically means if we don't have a book in any of our libraries in Newport we can log onto a system that allows us to view and request books from neighbouring counties - it works really well (though obviously takes a little more time getting the book) and lots of our customers gain from it, especially good for books that are older or where ours is missing from stock. It doesn't cost the customer anything either. Ask your library if they can arrange a free inter-library loan from a neighbouring borough - always worth a try

message 17: by Booksdingle (new)

Booksdingle | 186 comments Stephen wrote: "Angela wrote: "I've just looked on line for the book in Luton Libraries, but they don't seem to have it! Grrr!!"

they didnt have it in my library so ordered it for library to buy it and so far eve..."

Sounds like they are in the mood for buying Stephen, suggest away while you can! Running joke in my branch is that everything I ask for gets bought, my colleague always says if I ask for it I get it, though it is a bit awkward now because I am in an odd position as I no longer work for the Council (as I am now a National Trust employee) but still help to run their library :-)

message 18: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 163 comments Booksdingle wrote: "Angela wrote: "Oh, I'll ask in the library and see if they're as obliging!"

Angela - I don't know if your area has a similar scheme but in Newport we have a book loaning scheme called Books4U whic..."

Thank you for the info - always useful to know these things:)
Since I wrote that post, the library has got a copy, so it's been requested. I think there's a bit of a waiting list though. Just as well, I suppose, as have got lots on the go at the moment!

message 19: by Stephen (new)

there is an interview in mail on sunday with rachel joyce very interesting and apaprently its fav to win booker

message 20: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 163 comments Stephen wrote: "there is an interview in mail on sunday with rachel joyce very interesting and apaprently its fav to win booker"

The library came up with the book for me just before we went on holiday - am now just over half way through. Very good book - I'm loving it!