Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Blogs as items in goodreads

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Niledaughter (new)

Niledaughter | 93 comments If a blogger gathered his blogs in one written item and upload it online to one of the sharing files web sites , then entered it to goodreads as a published item with the ability to be distributed through goodreads , well that be ok ? In case this is approved , what would be the right description ? (Not a book?)

message 2: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Can you provide a link to an example? It may qualify as "self-published".

message 3: by Niledaughter (last edited Feb 19, 2012 07:50AM) (new)

Niledaughter | 93 comments It is Arabic :
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

the URL is Media fire , when I asked , it was not published in any other format .

message 4: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments In my personal opinion, I would leave it, since it is being made available as a download. It is very close to the same thing as books and short stories made available for free for kindle and nook. Others may feel differently, though.

message 5: by Keith (new)

Keith (kgf0) | 306 comments I would agree with vicky_girl, FWIW. There have even been movies based on books that started as blogs, so the mere fact that it once existed as a blog shouldn't have any bearing on the matter once it becomes a book (or book-on-CD, or ebook, or....)

message 6: by Niledaughter (new)

Niledaughter | 93 comments Ok , thanks .

message 7: by A. (new)

A. (almas) | 16 comments Should we place such publications under (Not a book) ?

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42044 comments Mod
No. If they have been published in book form (including ebook), then they are books.

In any case, there's no reason to put non-ISBN items in Not A Book. We would just delete any that don't belong here.

message 9: by Keith (new)

Keith (kgf0) | 306 comments rivka wrote: "In any case, there's no reason to put non-ISBN items in Not A Book. We would just delete any that don't belong here."

So does that mean, now that we're not importing from Amazon anymore, items like DVD movies with an ISBN also can be deleted rather than NABed? I've tended to stay away from the NAB work because I've never understood the policy or technique as well as others, and with the old imports it seemed kinda fruitless, but maybe it's easier now.

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42044 comments Mod
No, other import sources can still import NAB items. However, for any that have never been shelved, you should see a link on the edit page to mark it Not A Book. (Please use only when you are sure, since it does more than change the author.)

message 11: by Keith (new)

Keith (kgf0) | 306 comments rivka wrote: "However, for any that have never been shelved, you should see a link on the edit page to mark it Not A Book."

Oh, well that should make life a little easier. :)