On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

Author: Harper Lee > Group Read suggestion

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Diane Barnes | 3872 comments Mod
I don't want to be trite, but I think we really MUST read "To Kill a Mockingbird" as a group, sooner rather than later. It amazes me that there are still people in the U.S. that haven't read this book. This book IS the South, in all its beauty, dignity and shame. There's a bit of Scout, Boo and Atticus in all of us.

message 2: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new)

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) | 2699 comments Mod
Diane wrote: "I don't want to be trite, but I think we really MUST read "To Kill a Mockingbird" as a group, sooner rather than later. It amazes me that there are still people in the U.S. that haven't read this ..."

Diane,

I don't consider your suggestion trite at all. And, come the time for April Nominations, by all means, I'd welcome a nomination for TKAM. I never grow tired of it.

Sincerely,
Lawyer Stevens

message 3: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) I´d support this suggestion wholeheartedly. I read the book a few weeks ago - for the first time - and I wouldn´t mind at all to read it again soon. It´s already one of my favorites.

message 4: by Franky (new)

Franky | 315 comments I agree with the above sentiments.To Kill a Mockingbird is one of the more important books I've read. It is a book on the 10th grade reading list at our high school, so I've read this numerous times and really pick up new things each time I read. Atticus Finch is one of the best characters in literature in my opinion.

message 5: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 127 comments I was trying to recall when I last read this. It certainly has been a while. My son won an essay contest a few years back and got to meet Harper Lee (and get his book signed), but if I read that copy, he would kill me, so I would need to go buy one. Would happily do so!

message 6: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) He met Harper Lee?! I´m jealous right now...

message 7: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 127 comments Me too! She is famously reclusive, but used to come meet the winners of this contest every year. It is my understanding that she has since had to stop doing so.

message 8: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Has anyone been to the production put on every year (I think it's in Monroe) in May where people from the town act out the parts. The audience follows the actors around the town. It's supposed to be fabulous and gets sold out every year. I'm dying to go, but haven't made it yet.

message 9: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new)

Diane wrote: "Has anyone been to the production put on every year (I think it's in Monroe) in May where people from the town act out the parts. The audience follows the actors around the town. It's supposed to..."

The town is Monroeville, Al. And, although I've always wanted to go, I've never made it. I've been to the town several times, "searching" for Harper Lee, but unsuccessfully. The "old" Courthouse is a wonderful museum, with exhibits about TKAM, Harper Lee, and Truman Capote. I've stood in the courtroom, looking up at the balcony, the bench, and table for counsel. The old Court records are in the basement. I asked the curator on duty if I could look at them. She said, "Sure." I was rather dumbfounded. Trotted down the steps to a vault like room and perused records from before the turn of the 20th century. It was an amazing day. My prized possession is a signed 35th Anniversary edition of TKAM. A previous DA, now retired, had her to sign a copy for me. It has a very special place in my library.

Lawyer Stevens

message 10: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Wow, Mike. I figured you would have been for sure. One more thing to add to "the bucket list."

message 11: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new)

Diane wrote: "Wow, Mike. I figured you would have been for sure. One more thing to add to "the bucket list.""

Absolutely!

Here's ticket information: http://www.tokillamockingbird.com/eve...

message 12: by Sonali (new)

Sonali V I AM jealous... all of you lucky Americans who can visit those places.:-)I dont remember how many times I've read this classic.First time was- A couple of years after I had joined the school as a teacher, I was reading something in the library, when a class 8 student came and asked whether I had read TKAMB.I am ashamed to say, I had never even heard of it then.I am eternally grateful to that student for introducing me to this book, way back in 1983.I last read it again in 2011, while coaching a student of class 12.Every time I find something new which I had not paid enough attention to on a previous reading, or savour bits here and there.

message 13: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) I'm jealous too, because I won't see all those places for quite a while too.
And I absolutely love To Kill a Mockingbird!

message 14: by Tajma (new)

Tajma Kathy wrote: "I was trying to recall when I last read this. It certainly has been a while. My son won an essay contest a few years back and got to meet Harper Lee (and get his book signed), but if I read that co..."

My mouth dropped to the floor when I read your post, Kathy! What a fortunate young man your son is. Would you actually be able to find his copy even if you wanted to? I don't think I'd ever let that copy see the light of day if I were him...

message 15: by Sonali (new)

Sonali V Everitt wrote: "Sonali wrote: "I AM jealous... all of you lucky Americans who can visit those places.:-)I dont remember how many times I've read this classic.First time was- A couple of years after I had joined th..."
Everitt, you are right. Our system IS tilted towards the British, but in the past 5/7 years the winds of change has started blowing with the education sector opening up.Schools offering International certificates have mushroomed. With that the traditional School Boards have also started to become more inclusive.
Classics of course has always been read.Even if they have not been in the syllabus, we language teachers always encourage it.You'll find Class 9(15 year olds)gushing over 'Gone with the wind'.We also do 'Little Women'in class 6,the girls love it.Classes 11/12 are into Ayn Rand and Stephanie Meyer is read by all and sundry.:-)
Of course at the under and post-grad classes we do American poets, dramatists, novelists et al.

message 16: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 127 comments Tajma wrote: "Kathy wrote: "I was trying to recall when I last read this. It certainly has been a while. My son won an essay contest a few years back and got to meet Harper Lee (and get his book signed), but if ..."

Actually, it is on the bookshelf in my den, as he is away at college. No hope that he will leave it there permanently though (sadly).

message 17: by Franky (new)

Franky | 315 comments I'm definitely in for the read. I read this book about once every year.

message 18: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new)

Franky wrote: "I'm definitely in for the read. I read this book about once every year."

Although I don't nominate, or vote, unless in the case of a tie, I'm always up for a re-read. Hint-Hint. *GRIN*

Mike
Lawyer Stevens