The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2) The Wise Man's Fear discussion

Best part of the book?

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Heritor Eh? Any sections/chapters/ideas stand out particularly? We couldn't have the audition scene from the Eolian again unfortunately, and I don't think the prologues can really count as specific to The Wise Man's Fear.

I thought the whole Cthaeh thing was exellent, concept and language both.

Neal Simmons I liked his time with the mercenaries. He seemed to mature quickly there, especially after he got beat up by the little girl.

Sofia I agree with Neal!

Sofia I thought the whole Cthaeh thing was excellent, concept and language both.

Yes, that was a good part too. I find the Cthaeh very mysterious and interesting. Probably because the lives of the people who visit the Cthaeh tend to become quite fateful and dramatic afterwards.

Neal Simmons the tree thing was just too short. it was fun watching him hold his tongue against the Mar, but the mercenary town was better.

Laura Birks I've just finished reading this and I particularly liked the scene with Bast and the Soldiers towards the ending. For some reason it stuck quite vividly in my mind, what with the chanting and the descriptions of the weather. I also really liked the scene where Kvothe calls the wind in Ademre during his test with the Sword tree.
I agree about the Cthaeh as well, I thought it was a fantastic concept and very mysterious, though it would have been nice to have been given a little more of it :)
There was also one moment in the epilogue, the sentence 'There, behind the tightly shuttered windows, he lifted his hands like a dancer, shifted his weight, and slowly took one single perfect step.' That 'one single perfect step' sent a tingle down my spine. Maybe it was just the musicality of the way Rothfuss used the language here, or maybe it was the implications this action may foreshadow in the next book, but i couldnt get this bit out of my head.

Shawna Hansen I like the interaction in the bar and the impending doom. Wanted more of that tension.

Heritor Yeah, those are all bits I really enjoyed as well. I will admit I also enjoyed the attack on Cinder's bandit camp.
And unpicking Kote's fight with the soldiers was good fun...

message 9: by Eric (new) - rated it 1 star

Eric Allen I liked when it was over and I didn't have to be subjected to how fucking awful it was anymore. Rothfuss should be highly embarrassed and ashamed over this steaming pile of garbage.

Heritor Hoho!

Stefan I have to say that my favorite thing about the book is the reputation that Kvothe garners for himself that he is Taborlin the Great. Especially after he uses the galvanic binding to destroy a bandit camp by striking a tree with lightning. It's funny how his companions keep the drivel up, and he has to keep telling them that he ISN'T Taborlin the Great. I also thought the emotional and, ahem, physical conflicts he went through with Felurian were provocative. Also, the shaed is awesome.

message 12: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Mckinstry Eric wrote: "I liked when it was over and I didn't have to be subjected to how fucking awful it was anymore. Rothfuss should be highly embarrassed and ashamed over this steaming pile of garbage."

How about some common courtesy, would you like this to be said of your own writing?

Mitchell Good:
1.) Cthaeh - It was kind of grim, but really well written and intriguing
2.) Bandit camp scene - Binding the dead bandit to the other ones was pretty gruesome, but the way he used the galvanic binding to "call down the lightning" was sick
3.) Sword tree - Another perfectly described part, and although the cut hand thing was a bit cheesy, the scene overall was fantastic

The Bad:
1.) Felurian - This part seriously almost made me put the book down altogether, which is saying quite a bit since I was blazing through it prior to this. The Cthaeh and the shaed were the only redeeming things.
2.)Kvothe and Denna's fight - Gah, I wish that he would just tell her about his whole problem. I suspect he finally will in the third book, but it was frustrating none the less!

Deniz I liked the story about the boy who is in love with the moon and how this story is linked with Cthaeh.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved Kvothe's training and friendship with Tempi, his time in Haert, and the explanations of the Lethani.

It's just such an awesome book on so many levels.

message 16: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike I loved the story of the boy with the golden screw as a belly button. Literally LMAO and re-read it again!

Kyleigh Chapter 102 really charmed me: The Ever-Moving Moon. This is the chapter where Felurian explains the link between the Fae and Kvothe's world, that the moon moves between the two and influences the link between them. Towards the end of the chapter Felurian falls into verse and Kvothe keeps pace. Their entire conversation becomes a poem. It's not quite iambic pentameter, but close. Quite a treat!!

Martina My favorit part was when Kvothe was dooing "voodoo" - I mean how he used the dead body to kill his comrades. I liked, because it showed that he's not that flawless hero. He knew it was wrong, but it was the best thing he could think of. But I really liked the whole time he spent with the mercs (before they separated and he went with Tempi)

Kumail Haider Really hated the Felurian part...really made me keep the book down...
overall the whole book is good but towards the end when Kvothe finally goes back to his room Pat writes "it was the expression of a man who has finally received bad news he'd already known was on the way" made me really feel Kvothe's misery...what all he had lost...really looking forward to seeing how Pat ends things!

Scans I love the parts where Kvothe is in the Fae. The interactions with the Cthaeh and Felurian are absolutely brilliant. We really learn a lot about the world through these interactions. I wonder if Kvothe will keep his promise and return to Felurian...

message 21: by Liam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liam I liked the whole Ademre bit mainly because I thought it would change him into more of the older kvothe. He did slightly with the rescue bit. Although when he finally returns to the university he is completely unchanged except he has more females pinning over him.... Then when he finds dena he becomes pathetic again and she runs off before anything happens. And for how smart he is meant to be he really misses alot.

The whole felurian bit also has one major hole. He wakes up lucid. By that point he should already be a mindless sex slave.

message 22: by L.S. (new) - rated it 5 stars

L.S. Burton There's so many great scenes, and reading this thread is bringing it all back. I lost a lot of sleep in the fall when I read this book. It hurt to find out that I'd have to wait so long for the next installment.

Brian Laura wrote: "There was also one moment in the epilogue, the sentence 'There, behind the tightly shuttered windows, he lifted his hands like a dancer, shifted his weight, and slowly took one single perfect step.' That 'one single perfect step' sent a tingle down my spine. Maybe it was just the musicality of the way Rothfuss used the language here, or maybe it was the implications this action may foreshadow in the next book, but i couldnt get this bit out of my head."

I loved this and agree with you that, this hopefuly is a shadow of something to come. This part reminded me of when he spent time learning from the mercenaries. Especially since several times the female leader "took one perfect step".

message 24: by Hodgy (new)

Hodgy my favorite part of the book was definately towards the end when he is talking about some of the lengths Elodin went through to awaken his sleeping mind. when he recounts that night on top of the archives i physically rolled out of bed crying, Hillarious

message 25: by liquid soap (last edited Mar 17, 2013 04:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

liquid soap Eric wrote: "I liked when it was over and I didn't have to be subjected to how fucking awful it was anymore. Rothfuss should be highly embarrassed and ashamed over this steaming pile of garbage."
description
back to the topic: anything that had something to do with the University. and Elodin, oh lord. and every "date" with Denna.
but I have to confess that the second sentence of TNOTW is my favourite. it sends delicious shivers through my spine every time i read it. "The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts."
Silence. Of. Three. Parts.
Pat, you're unbelievable.

Nichola Eric wrote: "I liked when it was over and I didn't have to be subjected to how fucking awful it was anymore. Rothfuss should be highly embarrassed and ashamed over this steaming pile of garbage."

Given that the book has been received well by numerous other readers, may I suggest the book is more along the lines of 'not to your taste' as opposed to a 'steaming pile of garbage.'

Bryan I loved the bit about the Cthaeh. It takes the two most popular SFF approaches to time/time-travel(namely, 1)time is immutable, and 2)time is full of infinte possibilities and timelines) and sort of merges them into a super interesting villain.

I will say that I got tired of the whole Felurian part. It started off pretty interesting, but after about 100 pages I felt like we had spent a disproportionate amount of Kvothe's tale on this one part of it. Parts of it were pretty neat, though.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

His time with the mercenaries and in the Fae without a doubt. Rothfuss' imaginative prowess really shines through in those parts.

Michael Kumail wrote: "Really hated the Felurian part...really made me keep the book down...
overall the whole book is good but towards the end when Kvothe finally goes back to his room Pat writes "it was the expression ..."

I think the big problem with the Felurian part was that is was way too long. I like the fact that Kvothe learns the "art of lovemaking" from the most famous seducer of men in Rothfuss' universe. It really is fitting! But Kvothe spent way too much time there just lounging around, the section could have been trimmed up a little bit and it would have been better received.
as an aside, I really liked when Simms asked Kvothe how much time he actually spent with Felurian leaving him to wonder how old he actually was now. Cool stuff!

message 30: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Taylor Eric wrote: "I liked when it was over and I didn't have to be subjected to how fucking awful it was anymore. Rothfuss should be highly embarrassed and ashamed over this steaming pile of garbage."

good review........ informative.........

message 31: by Ash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash Kvothe's stay in Ademre. Absolutely adored this section. I loved the culture of the Adem and how Kvothe fit into all of it.

But the Felurian part, yeah i skimmed 3/4 of that section. It was so drawn out and really unnecessary imo.

Sparrowlicious I also liked the Adem, they were really interesting.

Vnvnvn Loved the part when he rescued the two girls(poor things :( ) and gave the fake Ruh's what they deserved. He felt like a true hero there.
Also his time with Felurian. That was also great

Pau Lethani In my opinion the book is really perfect, so I can´t choose only one part. I choose the whole book.

Blueberry  Spice Head Probably when Kvothe was using sympathy to eliminate the barbaric horde that he and his group encountered. Pretty sick and twisted "dark" magic. Easily one of my favorite scenes in a fantasy novel I've ever read.

message 36: by Benjamin (last edited May 21, 2014 10:43AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Benjamin Eric wrote: "I liked when it was over and I didn't have to be subjected to how fucking awful it was anymore. Rothfuss should be highly embarrassed and ashamed over this steaming pile of garbage."couldn't agree more the whole work was redundant and had little to no imagination it's like harry potter and oliver twist had dirty sex to bring about this horrible monstrousity called the kingkiller chronicals to the literary world

Benjamin I did however love the short stories in these books they were top noch unlike the main story which imo was very redundant and more geared for a preteen to young adults that get off on repetition maybe i'm a little hard on rothfuss but the endless money barrowing and searching for denna and playing at the bar killed these books for me it was a thousand page book that could have been written in five hundred however the story of the hermit and the five different camps was excellent and so were all the other short stories

Sindy Hey where can i find the full lyrics to ambrose's song?..

i found it incredibly funny that Elodin sang it whilst Kvothe and Ambrose where walking out the horns.

Saumya Sarangi Certain interesting and standout bits i loved:

1) The Cthaeh : that was one big relief of a chapter from the ever mundane Felurian ones. And that tree is hell lot of evil. I particularly enjoyed the way it spoke to Kvothe while simultaneously devouring the butterflies! and one kind just pure oyt of spite! EVIL! and Bast's reaction afterwards.

2) The fake Edema troupe. I simply liked it for the fact that it made Kvothe really scary and perfectly badass.

3) The stories within: especially the one about Jax/Iax and The Rhinta. The Rhinta one is not exactly unheard of but the names... the true names perhaps.

I absolutely hated Felurian scenes and some of Denna part. His time in Haert was partially good too.

message 40: by Solemn (last edited Apr 29, 2015 10:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Solemn I liked that scene in Ankers when Kvothe sings the violet abides. The hushed crowd, the serving girl flirting with him, red nosed simmon. I just felt like it was set perfectly and his arrest gave it the perfect ending.