Romantic Historical Fiction Lovers discussion

QUESTIONS > I need recommendations!

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Here's the circs: I don't have a lot of experience in romance-reading but I want to branch out. So this year I took on a challenge to read a certain number each of seven different romance sub-genres. Problem is, I have no idea what books fit my choices! So if I list my genres here, will you guys help me out?

Runaway Brides
Set in Texas
Regency
Mystery, suspense and thriller
Holiday romance
Show business
Witches and warlocks

Thanks in advance!

Jennifer

message 2: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Hi Jennifer,

Under the Regency category, you have a wide range of options. You should definitely read at least one Jane Austen book (IMO the watermark by which all others should be judged. "Pride & Prejudice" is my personal favorite.)

Many many people love Georgette Heyer's Regency romances ("The Grand Sophy" is one of the most popular).

I would also recommend that you read one of the Hornblower novels by C.S. Forester. While these are not romances, they will give you a solid foundation in the history of the period, and they are beautifully written.

After those three, you can dive into other romances set in the Regency period. The wider parameters of the period are 1795-1825, with the narrower dates of 1811-1820.

Other people on this list can give you lots and lots of great recommendations for this genre. Happy reading!

Nancy

message 3: by Larisa (new)

Larisa (msgodiva1) | 28 comments "Persuasion" is also a fab Jane Austen.
Kaki Warner's Runaway Brides are wonderful, fitting the Western and late 1800's categories.
For Paranormal but not witch/warlock, I cannot recommend Genevieve Graham's "Under the Same Sky" enough - beautiful and a deft touch on the magical aspect. Will rummage my shelves for a Witch book that fits the group.
Mystery & Regency: I'm going to start the Captain Lacey series by Ashley Gardner - they look delicious. And I loved the Horatio Hornblower series.
Holiday & Regency: "Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish" by Grace Burrowes (it still needs to be nominated then approved to the book shelf.
Texas: I couldn't stand "Pemberly Ranch"
The only show business book I know and love isn't historical, it is current and a "Pride & Prejudice" tribute: "Fitzwilliam Darcy Rockstar."

Good Luck - curious to see what other books will be suggested to you.

message 4: by Liz (new)

Liz This is what I would read...

Runaway Brides...
Set in Texas... There are a series of books by Lorrain Heath
Regency.... The Bridgerton Family books by Julia Quinn
Mystery...
Holiday Romance...Just Curious by Jude Deveraux
Show Business...Honeymoon by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Witches...

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Wow, I'm already getting a lot of great choices here! You guys ROCK!

message 6: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oh, those recommendations remind me . . . I HIGHLY recommend "A Knight in Shining Armor" by Jude Deveraux (along with a big box of tissues).

message 7: by Larisa (new)

Larisa (msgodiva1) | 28 comments The Bridgertons: Are so Addictive! Be prepared to devour the entire set and e-book epilogues faster than fresh baked chocolate cookies.
Highly Addictive and Fun.

message 8: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (authoremerylee) | 900 comments Mod
Jennifer wrote: "Here's the circs: I don't have a lot of experience in romance-reading but I want to branch out. So this year I took on a challenge to read a certain number each of seven different romance sub-genr..."

Jennifer- I have our group books shelves catagorized into the differnce sub-genres. Please take a look. You will be amazed at all the great books!

message 9: by Genevieve (new)

Genevieve Graham (goodreadscomgenevievegraham) | 24 comments Larisa wrote: ""Persuasion" is also a fab Jane Austen.
Kaki Warner's Runaway Brides are wonderful, fitting the Western and late 1800's categories.
For Paranormal but not witch/warlock, I cannot recommend Geneviev..."

Thanks, Larisa!
Under the Same Sky by Genevieve Graham

message 10: by Genevieve (last edited Feb 20, 2012 09:04AM) (new)

Genevieve Graham (goodreadscomgenevievegraham) | 24 comments Runaway Brides - definitely Kaki Warner

message 11: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Wickham | 1 comments Don't forget Mary Balogh when you're choosing your Regency titles! She's fantastic.

I second the recommendations to read some Julia Quinn & Georgette Heyer. Julia Quinn's The Duke & I is one of those beat-up books on my shelf that's obviously been read over and over. My favorite Georgette Heyer is The Nonesuch. You can't go wrong with Jane Austen, of course.

Enjoy your discoveries. Sounds like you're in for a wonderful new reading adventure.

message 12: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Gaile (kittygladu) | 251 comments Mod
Has anyone read Kathleen Cunningham Guler's books? They are a series on ancient Britain beginning with Into The Path Of The Gods. The newest one is The Anvil Stone. I cannot find a rating on the first one. I don't know if they are worth reading or are romances.
Also what about M.J. Rose?

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Emery wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Here's the circs: I don't have a lot of experience in romance-reading but I want to branch out. So this year I took on a challenge to read a certain number each of seven different..."

I shall, I shall! Thank you!

message 14: by Gaile, co-librarian (last edited Feb 22, 2012 10:32AM) (new)

A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness
is a great one for the witches category. It was my favorite book of 2011!

message 15: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Gaile wrote: "A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness
is a great one for the witches category. It was my favorite book of 2011!"

Thanks Gaile!

message 16: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) For the Show Business theme you might look at The Actor and the Housewife by Shannon Hale . It wasn't fantastic but it was quick and cute.

message 17: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Here's the circs: I don't have a lot of experience in romance-reading but I want to branch out. So this year I took on a challenge to read a certain number each of seven different romance sub-genr..."

Hi Jennifer- For show business, I highly recommend Deanna Cameron's Dancing at The Chance by DeAnna Cameron It's set in the Vaudeville world.

message 18: by Genevieve (new)

Genevieve Graham (goodreadscomgenevievegraham) | 24 comments Emery wrote: "Gaile wrote: "A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness

Thanks Gaile!"

I've heard so many great things about this one. Just picked it up yesterday.

message 19: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) For show business- Exit the Actress

message 20: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Genevieve wrote: "Emery wrote: "Gaile wrote: "A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness

Thanks Gaile!"

I've heard so many great things ab..."

You will love it!

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Great recommendations, everyone! Added to my challenge list...

message 22: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) Meredith wrote: "Don't forget Mary Balogh when you're choosing your Regency titles! She's fantastic.

Oh, yes, I must agree!!!

message 23: by Erin (new)

Erin Grace | 1 comments I adore Amanda Quick, Julie Garwood and Lisa Kleypas...you can't go wrong!

xo

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Excellent-I've downloaded some kindle fare from your suggestions! And happened upon one that I expected to be a mystery (because the other stuff I've read by this author was mystery) but which turned out to be a romance-- The Kitchen Witch - which can actually be either the "witch" category or the "show business" category. Think I'll save it up for awhile and see which category I have more trouble filling!